Vanity Fair INDY V submissions

Adam McDaniel

For those who submitted to Vanity Fair's "Guess the plot of INDY V" contest, what were your entries?

Here was mine:

INDIANA JONES AND THE FIGHT FOR SOCIAL SECURITY

In 1965, after attending the funeral of his late friend Winston Churchill, Indiana Jones successfully thwarts a plot by a renegade politician to undermine President Johnson?s ?Great Society? program and Medicare reforms; but no sooner does Indy come to realize that the covert operation (codename: ?Tricky Dick?) is just part of a larger conspiracy involving rogue US government agents, deposed Dominican Republic President Juan Bosch, and a young folk singer named Bob Dylan -- who, Indy believes, holds the key to unraveling the ancient pagan magic deep beneath the earth's surface at Stonehenge.

(Don't say I didn't try!)

The Man

Adam McDaniel said:
For those who submitted to Vanity Fair's "Guess the plot of INDY V" contest, what were your entries?

Here was mine:

INDIANA JONES AND THE FIGHT FOR SOCIAL SECURITY

In 1965, after attending the funeral of his late friend Winston Churchill, Indiana Jones successfully thwarts a plot by a renegade politician to undermine President Johnson?s ?Great Society? program and Medicare reforms; but no sooner does Indy come to realize that the covert operation (codename: ?Tricky Dick?) is just part of a larger conspiracy involving rogue US government agents, deposed Dominican Republic President Juan Bosch, and a young folk singer named Bob Dylan -- who, Indy believes, holds the key to unraveling the ancient pagan magic deep beneath the earth's surface at Stonehenge.

(Don't say I didn't try!)

Can we have Cate back to play Dylan?

Dust McAlan

Indiana Jones and the Dragon King.

In Japan, 1959, Indy goes searching for Mutt after hearing his son has been kidnapped. He discovers a plot to unearth the jewels of the Dragon King, and discovers a cavern full of dragon-like monsters awakened by nuclear testing.

I tried for a Godzilla-type feel, since Kingdom had that Sci-Fi alien movie thing going on.

And oh, Indiana Jones and the Son of Man sounded like a killer idea. That took some cojones to conjure, and would make one of the greatest spectacles ever put on screen.

blueseattle

I posted mine awhile back but it was called: Indiana Jones and the Book of Life

After returning from a lackluster adventure in Moscow, our favorite archaeologist decides to begin work on his memoirs, when an acclaimed Islamic scholar comes to him for help. He holds a lead to where the original pages of the Qu'ran can be found, only a dangerous group of religious fundamentalists are a few steps ahead of them, and being funded by the Russians. The race for truth begins.

Echo22

Indiana Jones and the Sovereign of Time

Plot Summery: The mystery of time travel and the search for Atlantis begins when Mutt's graduation ceremony is interrupted by none other than Henry Jones, Sr. (Sean Connery), who has accidentally been sent 17 years into the future and now needs Indiana Jones' help in outwitting a retired Nazi General (Ian McKellen) and a beautiful Russian archaeologist (Katherine Zeta Jones) in a race to unlock the secrets of an ancient Atlantean device that may have been the cause of Henry Sr.'s jump into the 1950's.

MolaRam2

The submission which won can be found at this link: http://www.vanityfair.com/ontheweb/blogs/daily/2008/06/indy-winner.html

And the winner was:

Indiana Jones and the Son of Man

A skeptical Jones is offered the chance to visit Palestine in the time of Christ in a joint U.S. Army/Vatican time-travel experiment?overseen by Albert Einstein, who is also part of Indy?s posse?to verify the existence of Jesus Christ. Meanwhile, Soviet agents bent on erasing Christ from history hijack the experimental base underneath the Vatican, and pursue Indy through the tunnels of Time, as Jones tries to save a man who neither needs nor wants saving.

Lucas himself might have submitted that idea. If not, then Lucas has found his apprentice.

Lucas says "I wanted to set this one in the 80s, and since it was the 80s, I wanted to do a time travel movie like The Terminator or Back to the Future."

Echo22

Also...

Indiana Jones and the Valley of the Crimson Sun

Synopsis: Forty some years after Abner Ravenwood (played by Clint Eastwood) first placed the fedora on a young Indiana Jones' head, a communique arrives revealing that his untimely death may have been a hoax, so when a successful entrepreneur, and business partner to Marion's ex-husband, begins a major drilling operation in the Grand Canyon, Indy discovers that Marion's father's archives had been secretly pilfered to uncover his pursuit of a vast underground highway that exists below the surface of the Grand Canyon and Hover Dam.

Another one....

Indiana Jones and the Guardian of Kings

Synopsis: Set off of the discovery of the pyramids' connection to the 'other worldly' and amidst the Space Race between the Soviet Union and the United States, Indy and the gang become entangled in a race against a German archaeologist (played by Arnold Swarzenegger) to find a legendary shield that whomever possesses becomes the immortal keeper of the Tomb of the Pharaohs and interpreter to 'the Gods'.

Connery, Eastwood, Arnold.........They'll need a big name to join in on the next one.

Hanselation

Indiana Jones and the hoard of the nibelungs

http://adventure-gui.de

This was my proposal (The title was created around 2004) , but now I see, "the hoard of the nibelungs" is not an international known myth. :rolleyes:

INDIANA JONES
and the
HOARD OF THE NIBELUNGS

- Southamerica 1956 -

Old nazis flee to southamerica, to build up the Third Reich from out of there. The not so close involved persons believe, that the hunt for the nibelung hoard is just for getting the money for that project. But an german historian guesses a coherence between the NIBELUNGS and the MAYA. The Hoard OF THE NIBELUNGS shall contain a key to the uninvestigated forces of the MAYA – and even this forces, the old nazis would use for their plans.
The just in that years foundet american central intelligence agency sent out that man, who knews enough about the southamerican historie and also made his bad experiences with the nazi characters:

INDIANA JONES

So he set of to europe, asia and southamerica, to find the key – the AEGISHELMET-, before the old nazis do. He finds out: The dwarfs ALBERICH, the keeper of the nibelung hoard and the mayan AC UINICK IK, an turtle man, could be the same person.The AEGISHELMET was shown in mayan reliefs.
While Indy found also the involvement of the vatican into the nazi plans, his daughter is abducted.
Many problems to solve…

http://adventure-gui.de/hoard.htm

The Tingler

I thought they were going to wait until Indy 5 actually came out and chose the person who guessed correctly!

And the winning idea stunk. Original, but only because no one else would be stupid enough to propose it.

Jones_Happens

Here was my entry:

Indiana Jones and the Lair of Power

It's 1960 and the Cold War is still brewing around the globe as Indy and Mutt learn of a Communist plot to recover the "real-life" artifact known as the Baghdad Battery, which holds the ancient secret to a viable (yet highly dangerous) renewable energy source--so it's off to the middle east for our intrepid adventurers as they race to beat the KGB, who hope to harness the battery's secrets and make the USSR the world's only superpower.

Dr.Tyree

One Wish...

:rolleyes: I must say...Vanity Fair hosted one of a number of Indy contests that went in a similar direction.

I wish that we'd have some hint as to whether they are looking for an actual, thoughtful, creative entry...or a ridiculous one that makes some random person chuckle.

It seems most contests look for the latter.

I'd just like to know before I waste more time on them.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I broke down Vanity Fair's percentages to determine how many submissions each idea got. It's still the best and only impartial Indy 5 survey I've seen. I like the resurrection idea. Stalin's body lay beside Lenin from 1953 to 1961 until "Khrushchev's Thaw" ...and reanimation!

21 - Atlantis
15 - Fountain of Youth
8 - Excalibur / King Arthur
7 - Garden of Eden
6 - Vikings / Valhalla
5 - Resurrecting Lenin / Stalin
4 - Hammer of the Gods
4 - Vatican Mysteries
4 - Imperial Regalia
3 - Spear of Golgotha
2 - Amber Rooms
2 - Bermuda Triangle

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
In case Vanity Fair should lose its excellent article, I've preserved it below:
Indiana Jones and the Next Indiana Jones Movie
By Julian Sancton 1:24 PM, June 17 2008
cn_image_0.size.indyfanposters.jpg

After considering hundreds of submissions, VF Daily is proud to announce the winner of the contest to come up with best title and plot for the fifth Indiana Jones movie. But first, some of our favorite runners up:
• Indiana Jones and the Incredible Diamond (No plot provided) —Ron R.
• Indiana Jones and the Orifice of Doom (No plot provided) —Steve Lydon
• The creators of the two fan-art posters above. Well done, even if that wasn’t part of the assignment.
An overwhelming plurality of entries predicted Indy would search for lost city of Atlantis, which was the storyline of the 90s LucasArts PC game. We agree that the fountain of youth premise fits well with an aging Indy, but way too many contestants suggested it for us to choose one. Herewith, a breakdown of the submissions by most popular plotlines:
000c8wp5

And now the winner, after the jump. Judging from his email address, his name is Maximillian, and he comes from Australia. He will be the happy recipient of the official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull crate, complete with Indy’s official fedora, blanket, thermos, DVD set, and Blackberry.

Indiana Jones and the Son of Man
A skeptical Jones is offered the chance to visit Palestine in the time of Christ in a joint U.S. Army/Vatican time-travel experiment—overseen by Albert Einstein, who is also part of Indy’s posse—to verify the existence of Jesus Christ. Meanwhile, Soviet agents bent on erasing Christ from history hijack the experimental base underneath the Vatican, and pursue Indy through the tunnels of Time, as Jones tries to save a man who neither needs nor wants saving.

Yes, the idea is preposterous, but which Indy movie isn’t? We love how it combines the Judeo-Christian overtones of the first and third movies with the 1950s, B-movie feel of the last one, while intelligently integrating the atheistic Soviet baddies. And though this synopsis (edited for style) doesn’t include Shia Labeouf's character, there’s no reason he couldn’t tag along, lending double meaning to the title (and giving him extra credit for Sunday school).
We hope Maximillian will wear his new hat to the premiere of Indiana Jones and the Son of Man and, for his sake, to nothing else.
And with that, we temporarily end our obsessive coverage of Indiana Jones.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Vanity Fair has yet to restart its “obsessive coverage of Indiana Jones,” but this could be the last chance to speculate on the accuracy of the 2008 poll’s MacGuffins.

Nerdpants

I hope that Annie Leibovitz will take the photos for Vanity Fair. Harrison and her go way back I think.... (I.e. she has taken promotional photos for Vanity on a number of his films)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Obsessive coverage resumes? A guess about the MacGuffin. (From December)
The actual object in the trailer bears some loose resemblance to the Antikythera mechanism, an unusual array of bronze discs and gears that was recovered from an ancient Greek shipwreck off the coast of that island in 1901. It was on the sea floor for thousands of years before that, and has been dated to the Hellenistic period between 323 B.C. and 31 B.C. Notice that at least part of the new Indiana Jones film takes place undersea. But the “dial” we glimpse is in near pristine condition compared to the real-life one. A recreation of what the mechanism may have looked like before its centuries below the waves is fairly close to the one we see in the teaser. The actual Antikythera mechanism has been called the world's “first computer,” and leading theories speculate that it was used to track the course of the sun, moon and planets, keeping track of lunar and solar eclipses. The relic is badly corroded and in fragments, according to the journal Nature, which nonetheless describes it as a “model of the cosmos.”