Stereotypes

MissDefense

Italians?

Well pizza (true,but only we can do it properly!!LOL), spaghetti (quite true,but we actually prefer millions of other types of pasta,easier to eat them), mandolin (not true), mafia (well it exist but it's concentrated in south Italy and now there are also criminal organisations from other countries here like China or western europe), bad drivers (true true,need a special blessing from heaven to survive in our traffic!!). Thiefs and not honest (not true,well there are thiefs and non honest people but no more than in any other country).
So we are stereotypical as said but also a lot more!!I've always liked the fact of italians being very cheerful and generous!;)

indy34

Violet Indy said:
I forgot the dirty rag mullet!! Reg Regan's the perfect example. You noticed the clones too, eh? Those Pam Anderson wannabes!:p
i hate bogans there so anoying queanbyan is full of them but thankfuly i dont live there:D

Being British, I must say that the image of a bowler-hatted, suit wearing businessman carrying an umbrella is correct. We have a law that says we MUST wear all of these items on a daily basis. The umbrella is also compulsory. Every Sunday we attend special groups dedicated to Steed in The Avengers. We must repeat the following chant:

EVERY COLOUR,EVERY CREED
THIS BOWLER HATTED BREED
AND NOW WE SHALL INDEED
DRESS UP AND LOOK LIKE STEED.

Stereotypes are often correct.

sunshinestate1992

herr gruber said:
Being British, I must say that the image of a bowler-hatted, suit wearing businessman carrying an umbrella is correct. We have a law that says we MUST wear all of these items on a daily basis. The umbrella is also compulsory. Every Sunday we attend special groups dedicated to Steed in The Avengers. We must repeat the following chant:

EVERY COLOUR,EVERY CREED
THIS BOWLER HATTED BREED
AND NOW WE SHALL INDEED

of course if a little of it isnt true
where wiuld they come from

sarah navarro

qwerty said:
This one might have allready been

All Americans are overweight

most are *eh hem * not including me:p hey what can i say we eat out alot ,im surprised im not overweight by now i eat like a cow.i just jynxed myself:rolleyes:but it does seem like there are alot of health freaks here.

Last edited:

otto rahn

herr gruber said:

EVERY COLOUR,EVERY CREED
THIS BOWLER HATTED BREED
AND NOW WE SHALL INDEED

I wouldn't mind Steed's armour plated bowler hat ! I also wouldn't mind Cathy Gale,Emma Peel or Purdey on my side in a brawl.:)

|ZiR|

Ahh, good ol' stereotypes. They're funny 'cause they're true.

The Irish. We're all alcoholic, wife-beatin, clover eatin' bastards. And that's 100% correct in every case. No, really -- you can look it up.

Australians. A horrific meeting of the worst traits of both Britan and America.

Webley said:
Gay guys love show tunes

God, yes. That one's right on the money. Don't forget AIDS.

Benudo

Bump

Here's a joke some of you may have heard. I've also heard it where instead of engineers, in European heaven the army is German and in hell it's the French.

What's a European's idea of heaven?
It's where the English are the police, the French are the cooks, the Swiss are the bankers, the Italians are the lovers, and the Germans are the engineers.

What's a European's idea of hell?
It's where the English are the cooks, the French are the engineers, the Swiss are the lovers, the Italians are the bankers, and the Germans are the police.

AngieAki

I am not sure if it is a stereotype but I heard that we (I live in Oregon) have the best weed around. And that we are a bunch of hippies... that could be somewhat true.

oki9Sedo

Ireland: hard-drinking, fighting, red-headed leprechauns who live in cottages and say "Top o'tha marnin' to ya!"

Hard-drinking? Yes. Fighting? Only because of the drink. Red-headed? The minority. Leprechauns? Haven't seen one as of today anyway. Living in cottages? Again, the minority. "Top o'tha marnin' to ya!" Never heard it said in my life outside of films like The Quiet Man.

deckard24

oki9Sedo said:
Ireland: hard-drinking, fighting, red-headed leprechauns who live in cottages and say "Top o'tha marnin' to ya!"

Hard-drinking? Yes. Fighting? Only because of the drink. Red-headed? The minority. Leprechauns? Haven't seen one as of today anyway. Living in cottages? Again, the minority. "Top o'tha marnin' to ya!" Never heard it said in my life outside of films like The Quiet Man.
Being a 4th generation Irish American the same applies here, execpt for the living in cottages and speaking like Darby O'Gill!

I always get, "You're Irish huh? I bet you like to drink? Got a bad temper too...huh?" There is some truth in a lot of stereotypes, but they definitely get old when you've heard them a 100 times! I get tired of people immediately assuming I like to get trashed and listen to U2! And nothing is worse than St. Patrick's Day here in the states, it only reninforces the stereotype.(n)

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
Being a 4th generation Irish American the same applies here, execpt for the living in cottages and speaking like Darby O'Gill!

I always get, "You're Irish huh? I bet you like to drink? Got a bad temper too...huh?" There is some truth in a lot of stereotypes, but they definitely get old when you've heard them a 100 times! I get tired of people immediately assuming I like to get trashed and listen to U2! And nothing is worse than St. Patrick's Day here in the states, it only reninforces the stereotype.(n)

I've noticed something about alot of Irish-Americans....they have misconceptions about the Irish, buy into and love the whole brawling, drinking thing and actively set out to live up to it and be more Irish than the Irish themselves, and go around with this false toughness. "I'm Irish, so I'm tough!" type of thing. Its kind of sad.

Irish people as a whole don't actually have any worse tempers or better fighting ability than any other nation I know.

Unfortunately I do have a bit of a short temper and have a tendency to take insults to heart, but I don't drink at all.

tocksic

Germans

...are racists and still belive in Hitler - nonsense
...are pissed if confronted with the stereotype above - true
...are not funny - well, we have A LOT of humor... but i guess one has to be german to share or understand it :D
...are wearing lederhosen - nonsense (would be the same if I say all americans wear cowboy hats)
...are proud of their beer and car-iundustry - true
...drink a lot of beer - so true
...eat a lot of meat - again true
...eat much sauerkraut - germans maybe did so 60, 50, 40 years ago. Today germans of my generation maybe eat sauerkraut once per year
...all act like machines without emotions and talk like Rammstein - HAHAHAHAHAHA sooooo NOT true
...are all blond and blue-eyed - hey, we're not swedish!
...don't like brits - not true, but we don't like them when it comes to football/soccer :p
...are very efficient and ambitious - well for some germans that is true, for some it totally ain't
...use Mercedes-Benzes as taxi-cabs - true. I would say 95% of all german taxi-cabs are mercedes benzes

Personally I would say for a german in about my age (23) there is not much a difference to people of the same age in the rest of the world.

I have a sterotype about u.s.-americans: They know s*** about countries farther away than Mexico or Canada. I don't want to generalize, but personally I faced that very often. Americans can be so ignorant. They told me Austria is a part of Germany. They told me Germany is still split in two - north and south! They told me we are actually in war with France. They told me we only have electricity since 20 years. They told me we still have a nazi-regime. And I know what I'm talking about. I know a lot americans through the internet and student-exchange programms and I have family near Boston. But again: That was not meant to be a generalization. ;)

Last edited:

Benudo

tocksic said:
I have a sterotype about u.s.-americans: They know s*** about countries farther away than Mexico or Canada.

We don't even know scheiße about Mexico or Canada. Heck, we don't even know that much about ourselves. I once met a college student from Pennsylvania who didn't know that there was a state called Idaho. I could go on, but it would be too depressing. :eek:

BTW, you used the demonym "u.s.-american" (U.S.-Amerikaner) -- Germans say that, but we just say "American." Some would say that's arrogant of us. Americans (and I include myself) just don't care.

Last edited:

deckard24

oki9Sedo said:
I've noticed something about alot of Irish-Americans....they have misconceptions about the Irish, buy into and love the whole brawling, drinking thing and actively set out to live up to it and be more Irish than the Irish themselves, and go around with this false toughness. "I'm Irish, so I'm tough!" type of thing. Its kind of sad.

Irish people as a whole don't actually have any worse tempers or better fighting ability than any other nation I know.

Unfortunately I do have a bit of a short temper and have a tendency to take insults to heart, but I don't drink at all.
This is actually very true! Sad...but true!

As for loving the drink and having a bad temper, that could be applied to a ton of nationalities.

Finn

Staff member
tocksic said:
Germans

...are racists and still belive in Hitler - nonsense
I figure that getting involved with anything that messes with Good Ole Adolf is the surest way to get into trouble there. I recall a newspiece about a guy who ended up getting jailtime after he'd taught his dog to raise its paw every time he said "Heil"...

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/juOQhTuzDQ0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/juOQhTuzDQ0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

She definitely lives up to the stereotype... :)

Benudo

Unbelievable. God save us. Even being attractive can't compensate for that much ignorance.

I think we've seen enough. Finn, can we close this thread? Or let's go back to Irish and German stereotypes. Did you know that Ireland has more drunks per capita than people?