For and Against a Reboot

DiscoLad

Montana Smith said:
Only a reboot via a TV series, as I've written elsewhere. That way it wouldn't step on Harrison's big screen toes.

I would much rather a cartoon than a real series.
If they did that, they have my vote.

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:
I would much rather a cartoon than a real series.
If they did that, they have my vote.

As a TV series it could be either animated or live. As long as the artwork is detailed and realistic, and not anime or cheaply done.

DiscoLad

Montana Smith said:
As a TV series it could be either animated or live. As long as the artwork is detailed and realistic, and not anime or cheaply done.

Exactly. On the same page.

Junior Jones

I don't think George will ever reboot the Indiana Jones franchise, just like he'll never reboot Star Wars. Previously successful reboots (Batman, Bond, Star Trek) have involved new creative teams brought in by the studio. But in this case George is the studio. So it will never happen (at least while George is alive).

Montana Smith

Junior Jones said:
I don't think George will ever reboot the Indiana Jones franchise, just like he'll never reboot Star Wars. Previously successful reboots (Batman, Bond, Star Trek) have involved new creative teams brought in by the studio. But in this case George is the studio. So it will never happen (at least while George is alive).

A crack team of assassins are in place and ready to move as soon as JJ Abrams gives the word! :gun:

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
We've had discussions before about the idea/concept of an Indy reboot.
Right. All the more reason to start a brand new thread on the subject.:rolleyes:

INDY SERIES RE-BOOT??? Your thoughts...
Would you rather...
New Director?
Would you support a Bond-style re-cast of Indy after Kingdom?
Raiders112390 said:
A franchise like Bond or Batman can potentially be rebooted forever in different styles as they're not really stuck to any particular era or actor.
Because Batman and Bond films are based on pre-existing characters & stories. Indiana Jones is a different animal.
Raiders112390 said:
Like Sean Connery only spent 5 years in the role of James Bond...
Connery did 6 Bond films, not 5. His last was in 1983.;)
Raiders112390 said:
He wouldn't allow an Indy film with the credits "original story by Max McCoy" to come out--Just because of his ego/desire for total creative control.
That's fine with me because I'd prefer a new adventure rather than something taken from a story I've already read. (I also don't see what Lucas' ego has to do with it. Indy is one of his babies so let him do what he wants.)
Junior Jones said:
So it will never happen (at least while George is alive).
I agree with you, Junior. As I said in the other main thread on this very topic; I don't see a "reboot" as being a major concern right now but it, most likely, will happen after Lucas, Spielberg and Ford are dead & buried.:dead::(

That said, a TV series set between 1921-34 would be most welcome.(y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Right. All the more reason to start a brand new thread on the subject.:rolleyes:

Indeed. Merged with the first of the ones you mentioned. (The others weren't dead-on matches.) Really, Raiders112390, make the effort on this.

Stoo said:
That's fine with me because I'd prefer a new adventure rather than something taken from a story I've already read. (I also don't see what Lucas' ego has to do with it. Indy is one of his babies so let him do what he wants.)

I agree with your feelings as to an original story. As to the parenthetical: like when he made deals with Disney to have his universes portrayed in the parks? ;)

Major West

I think the next film will be a reboot

I was just reading the news page about V and I see it's pretty much dead and I sense a lack of real enthusiasm from the major participants for it to happen. I have a feeling that Indy may return in say 10 years time but with a whole new crew and cast to kick start potentially a new series of films. That's just how I see it going.

Toht's Arm

Major West said:
I was just reading the news page about V and I see it's pretty much dead and I sense a lack of real enthusiasm from the major participants for it to happen. I have a feeling that Indy may return in say 10 years time but with a whole new crew and cast to kick start potentially a new series of films. That's just how I see it going.

You think that could happen in the beards' lifetime though? They'll still be around in a decade. Spielberg will probably still be directing films too...

I reckon it wouldn't happen until after they'd passed away, and then it would depend on what happens to the Indy IP.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
THREADS MERGED.

Nice of you to have an opinion, though I don't think it necessarily warrants a new thread, mate. Especially when we got a fine recent one here.

Le Saboteur

Why a reboot? The term itself is far too...ah, nebulous. If I understand it correctly, you're striking down all Canon Law and otherwise blazing your own trail with well-established characters. So then what exactly needs to be re-booted?

Nothing. While Indiana Jones doesn't exist in a vacuum, each adventure is self-contained. Putting another actor in the role doesn't change a thing about the character; accepting a new actor in the role is going to have to happen if there's any hope of further adventures. Y'know, that whole high cost of living thing...

Dr. Gonzo

Junior Jones said:
So it will never happen (at least while George is alive).
This is the most accurate statement.

The way I see it. We aren't gonna see Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones again.
But we aren't going to see a reboot in the big 3's lifetime either...

That "in ten years we'll get a reboot" comment a couple up is too generous.

There won't be a reboot for at least 20 years. If even at all.
See my thread on who will own Indiana Jones after Lucas dies. http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=22141

It's very possible that after George becomes one with the force that a clause will be enforced prohibiting any further sequels/prequels/or reboots to the Indiana Jones franchise.

Henry W Jones

Dr. Gonzo said:
It's very possible that after George becomes one with the force that a clause will be enforced prohibiting any further sequels/prequels/or reboots to the Indiana Jones franchise.

We can only hope.

Montana Smith

Reboot it Sucker Punch style.

All those far-fetched tales about Indian sorcerers, the Ark, the Holy Grail, Aliens, Dracula, and meeting virtually every famous person in his lifetime? They obviously occurred only in the imagination of an asylum inmate facing lobotomy.

It would also explain his ability to survive, and the bizarre manner in which his hat always returned to him.

Reboot and there?s plenty more tales to tell before the orbitoclast strikes home. Indy can even imagine himself as a different person (i.e. a different actor).

Lucas could milk this for many years to come.

;)

This has been a public service announcement against the case for a reboot!

Hey, why not give Indy a scarf instead of a hat, change his whip a screwdriver, his horse to a blue public phonebox and build on the huge public and critical acclaim for Indy 5'sstoryline by having him travel through space and time having adventures?

To differentiate between the classic quadrilogy and this new incarnation, you could call it, I dunno, Dr Who or something.

Montana Smith

replican't said:
Hey, why not give Indy a scarf instead of a hat, change his whip a screwdriver, his horse to a blue public phonebox and build on the huge public and critical acclaim for Indy 5'sstoryline by having him travel through space and time having adventures?

To differentiate between the classic quadrilogy and this new incarnation, you could call it, I dunno, Dr Who or something.

TomBakerFourth_doctor.jpg

Tom-baker-thinking.jpg

The one true Doctor. Just like Harrison Ford, no one else can ever compete!

Yeah, it's a time travel thing. Tom Baker was actually the first...

Montana Smith said:
TomBakerFourth_doctor.jpg

Tom-baker-thinking.jpg

The one true Doctor. Just like Harrison Ford, no one else can ever compete!

Yeah, it's a time travel thing. Tom Baker was actually the first...

I agree, although the last two have been pretty good.