New gear and fav. piece..?

Texan Scott

What have you acquired recently, and what piece, article of clothing and/or prop is your favorite?

After collecting the gear and artifacts for awhile, you sort of whittle it down to the things that you really like to own and others not so much.

It's difficult to say which is my fav. piece of gear, but lately, I really like the old stock shrunken lamb SL of Wested's. It was something of a unique situation. I wrote Wested and asked if they ever receive any new leather that resembles the material that Peter used to make the Raiders jackets, then let me know; veg tanned in the rough, pegged out to dry, etc. About 4-5 weeks later, someone at the barn replied, and stated they had a bundle of old stock, veg tanned SL in stock that was darker in color and would I be interested? I dunno...let me think about this....:confused: ......SURE! Wanting it to be the last one I owned, I was picky with the details. It turned out to be an outstanding jacket.

Prop wise, I'm a big fan of the Headpeice, and really have enjoyed reading about the history behind it. It is based on some ancient Egyptian earrings found in Tut's tomb, I believe.

Others would be the props used in Raiders, like the knife and notebook, etc. There is a lot of cool stuff in these movies.

What are your favorites?

Last edited:

Drones33

Difficult to choose a favourite piece. Love my Webley MK VI. A very lucky find, especially in the Uk.
The hat I tend to wear the most is my AdVintage Junior. Love my Fed and the Harrison is great, but the Junior nails it for me; great colour, ( lighter sable rather than the chocolatey brown of the Fed or the Harrison,) feels light but substantial. Excellent.
My Dad made a Chachapoyan Fertility Idol for me using modelling clay. It's not SA obviously, but it doesn't have to be. Because my Dad took the time to make it for me.
If I had to pick an absolute fave though it would be my Steele & Jones Raiders jacket. I've already related the tale in the thread 'what jacket do you wear' of how I came across it on eBay and how, even despite being custom made for someone else it just happens to b exactly my size, but since getting it I've given it a once-over with Pecards...the previous owner had quite vigorously sand-papered it... and it's turned out beautifully. :hat:

Texan Scott

Diego makes a good Raiders likeness and now the LC. In terms of accuracy they could be doing their best work now. It was raining the other day, so I took the Wested SL outside to soften then leather up and it is breaking in even better, natural creases at the elbows. Generally, it is fitting much better. Not sire if it is the minerals in the rain water but it is softening up. This type of lamb is much how Peter described, substantial leather, on the stiff side. He mentioned that back in the day, this type of leather would virtually stand up in the corner. It takes awhile and some patience to break it in.

It always seemed like the Hawaii jacket was thicker than the main Hero.