indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

Indy's brother

No worrys

I didn't desert you! Got hit with a trifecta lost job> lost internet, AND had a bit of writer's block anyway (probably due to the other two). Still unemployed for the moment, but found a way to steal an internet connection through our wifi router. Sorry if that is the incorrect way to describe it, but my wife is the technical one, not me. I did put together my intro with muttjones' original score, and I'll see if I can post a link for that tonight. Btw, MJ, while I do like the other one you did, I want to stick with your first one. I've got a good hook for it, as far as writing*, can you do a proper mix and post a link?

*your opener is PERFECT and the pacing is great, too.

muttjones

Indy's brother said:
I didn't desert you! Got hit with a trifecta lost job> lost internet, AND had a bit of writer's block anyway (probably due to the other two). Still unemployed for the moment, but found a way to steal an internet connection through our wifi router. Sorry if that is the incorrect way to describe it, but my wife is the technical one, not me. I did put together my intro with muttjones' original score, and I'll see if I can post a link for that tonight. Btw, MJ, while I do like the other one you did, I want to stick with your first one. I've got a good hook for it, as far as writing*, can you do a proper mix and post a link?

*your opener is PERFECT and the pacing is great, too.

i'll do it as soon as i can (y)

Indy's brother

Here's a listen (note: this can only be downloaded 10 times, apparently, so please--only project members) at some sound effects with my intro and muttjones' score. There are four musical prompts after the plane crash effect before the familiar theme kicks in. The first prompt is right at the crash...we'll let Stoo and Junior animate flames and debris for that 1& 1/2 seconds. For the next three musical cues, each prompt is a visual.

1)Tight shot of Indy's hand gripping his whip on his belt, fade to black. (I found a sound effect for this, but I have to wait another month to download it for free from soundsnap.com).

2)The second prompt is another tight shot of Indy's hand unholstering his pistol, fade to black.

3)The third shot for the third prompt is a medium shot from behind Indy's right ear (with his hat on), in the dark, as he turns slightly towards the camera. A shard of light frames his right eye as it winces (like the shot as he leaves The Raven in Raiders), also fade to black.

Each of these shots need to look like they are from completely different scenes, like you would see shots cut in a trailer. I'm thinking whip: dark or at night. Pistol: complete daylight. Eye Shot: from inside a cave. Different lighting for all three, regardless. As for the reveal, I'm not sure yet how to pull it off.

I know it's not much, really, but it will let you all know I haven't bailed on this project. I remain dedicated to this, but I'm a little more concerned with keeping the lights on and the family fed. F***ing stressful to say the least.

Last edited:

Indy's brother

I think for the reveal, fade from Indy's eye, to the eye of a statue (of a bird, greek god, whatever) then pull back to show him standing next to it or something. Any thoughts?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
I know it's not much, really, but it will let you all know I haven't bailed on this project. I remain dedicated to this, but I'm a little more concerned with keeping the lights on and the family fed. F***ing stressful to say the least.

It's just nice to have you back.:D

Just a quick question.

1)Tight shot of Indy's hand gripping his whip on his belt, fade to black.

This is a right hand to left thigh movement?

Indy's brother

JuniorJones said:
Just a quick question. This is a right hand to left thigh movement?

Sure! The main motion is hand-to-whip, and a firm clench. However much movement towards the whip with the hand is up to the Stoo and the editor, but I think it should be minimal to none. The grip itself is what sells this shot.

Stoo

Indyfan4ever said:
Check this out!!
141trnq.jpg
VERY COOL, Indyfan4ever! The TV is a bit too mid-'70s but I still like the image a lot. Great idea!(y)

So, I was forced to buy a new computer while my other one is being repaired (SONY can bite me...I hate them) and am back onboard but still not 100% up and running. There's a lot to comment on from the last few pages so I'll go through all the posts and chime in a little later with my thoughts.

col.dietrich said:
you know, we could have a fan gathering(just us who are working on the film) and properly talk things over. lets say, sometime in Chicago? i am not saying that we will, it might just make things a littler easier
Heh, heh. As cool as Chicago is (I was there 10 years ago to see The Who at House of Blues) I think I have enough airmiles now to fly everyone over to Switzerland! I can see it now: Indiana Jones Animation Summit, Geneva 2009.:p (Mind you, Australia would be nice, too. I've always wanted to go there...)

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Stoo, here's a thought that just keeps gnawing at me, so I'll toss it your way. The Indiana Jones title card you've got, I keep seeing a tiny white plane at the lead end of the red map line encircling his head. If you do scroll the map behind him in this shot, the plane moving too would look pretty great. What do you think?

Also, you have final say on things, so what's your take on the mummy bit? How would you like him delivered, dead or alive?
I had a similar idea for the red line but we should keep it in conjuction with the films because the line doesn't always represent a plane (like Elsa's car in "Crusade"). As a side note to the title card, the outer, circular, white line in front of the red pulse is not supposed to be there! I forgot to remove it before I posted the image.:eek:

Re: the mummy bit
I think it would be better if the mummy was dead (but seemingly alive in a Forrestal/Well-of-Souls-necropolis-chamber-type-of-way.) Instead of punching the cadavre, how about Indy+sidekick in the sarcophogus, scared, recoiling & kicking, pushing themselves backwards in a crab-crawl fashion and bunching up at the opposite end of the sarchophogus. Their kicking could cause the head to break off. Yes? No?

muttjones said:
EDIT: this is the first of a few score tests coming from me hopefully over this weekend. This one has turned quite smooth with the edits. It has a slow start and I don't know whether we would prefer a bigger start rather than this, but anyway here it is. Oh and it is the KOTCS Indy theme. I was able to cut it so it didn't drag out like you noticed Stoo.

http://rapidshare.com/files/22523445...start.m4a.html
This is good, mutt! Now I'm torn between this and your Raiders-only version.:eek: Indy's Bro's REDUX w/sound FX is swaying my opinion...:D

DocWhiskey said:
I know Stoo drew a fantastic animated-inspired Indiana Jones, but you guys don't mind if I whip up a few character designs/layouts, do you?

Anyone/anything specific on your minds?
Sure, go ahead! Just remember, Hanna-Barbera face/body with Filmation eyes. So far, we don't have many extra characters. There is the villain from the eel scene (and personally, I really want to do this guy based on the big-lipped, small-craniumed, blubber-face photo that Indy's bro' posted). We also have a Mardi-Gras reveler. Doc, you like evil-looking clowns...why don't you have a go at that guy?:p

There's also col.dietrich's scar-faced, German officer...

Ska said:
Now that Stoo's gone...we can all feel free to talk about how bossy he's been in here!

j/k
I know you're joking, Ska,;) but, please, let me make this clear. In no way am I trying to be bossy. In an attempt to nurture a project by the fans for the fans, I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible but feel we should try to deliver a high-quality product. Trying to find the perfect blend of what each & every Indy fan would like to see is a difficult task.

This post is getting long so I'll comment on the rest later...Keep it rollin'...:hat:

P.S. @ Lonsome Drifter: The only one that grabbed me was the skyscraper beams but seeing as that was recently done in "Tomb of Gods"#1...I don't know...

Last edited:

muttjones

Indy's brother said:
Here's a listen (note: this can only be downloaded 10 times, apparently, so please--only project members) at some sound effects with my intro and muttjones' score. There are four musical prompts after the plane crash effect before the familiar theme kicks in.

i'll get up a final cut of this on the weekend, school is really hectic at the moment :dead:

@Stoo: I prefer Indy's brother's to mine. Mine was just a test of something different. (y)

Oh and Indy's brother, have you gotten the last few pages of ideas? I've posted a few after you said that you collated everything. :)

Last edited:

tempus31

I would like to contribute to this project if there is a spot open for art and manipulations etc.

I have no experience in animation but could help with photo-shopping etc.

samples of my work can be found on my website

www.tempus31.co.uk

Damien

HJJNR

JuniorJones said:
HJJNR

Love the stuff. Once we know what the scenes will be I will ask you for specific foreground/background layers for the scene. An example of this was the Edward Hooper Nightwarks test I did using layers.

A request could be -

Scene 1 - Indi and team walking through the Amazon -

1920x480 foreground for right pan
Amazon vegetation

1920x480 background for right pan
Amazon vegetation leading to Inca temple viewed from a rigde.

Does that make sense?

Something like this??
indyBG.jpg

Stoo

Posting Images

HJJNR said:
Something like this??
Looking good, HJJNR, but one important request!
I know Junior asked for a 1920x480 image but when posting in the thread,
let's use smaller images because attachments like this really screw up the
page format and makes it very difficult to read. In the future, PLEASE,
let's use other means to send large images to the necessary people.:)

Since we don't have a server, I guess sites like Rapidshare and Yousendit
will have to do for sharing large files (or by PMs and private e-mail).

HJJNR

Stoo said:
Looking good, HJJNR, but one important request!
I know Junior asked for a 1920x480 image but when posting in the thread,
let's use smaller images because attachments like this really screw up the
page format and makes it very difficult to read. In the future, PLEASE,
let's use other means to send large images to the necessary people.:)

Since we don't have a server, I guess sites like Rapidshare and Yousendit
will have to do for sharing large files (or by PMs and private e-mail).

I'm really sorry, is there a way for me to edit my post? Or delete and start again?? Didn't mean to mess anything up.
:(

Stoo

HJJNR said:
I'm really sorry, is there a way for me to edit my post? Or delete and start again?? Didn't mean to mess anything up.
After a certain amount of time, only the moderators can do it.
I wouldn't worry about it for now because it's up there,
it looks good and this page is almost over...;)

P.S. You can only get an avatar after 100 posts.

P.P.S. Keep in mind that, for now, our final resolution is going to be 640x480 at 100+ dpi.

tempus31 said:
I would like to contribute to this project if there is a spot open for art and manipulations etc.

I have no experience in animation but could help with photo-shopping etc.

samples of my work can be found on my website

www.tempus31.co.uk

Damien
Hi, Damien. Sharp covers. Don't know how much work there will be
in the digital-photo-manipulation area but we need all the artists
we can get so you're very welcome to contribute. I would really
like to stay away from simply painting over/re-touching photographs
so that we can produce something "original" but as you're offering
assistance, we can surely use the help!:) We're still in the process
of hashing out the scene details so stay tuned and welcome aboard!:)

Last edited:

HJJNR

Stoo said:
After a certain amount of time, only the moderators can do it.
I wouldn't worry about it for now because it's up there,
it looks good and this page is almost over...;)

P.S. You can only get an avatar after 100 posts.

P.P.S. Keep in mind that, for now, our final resolution is going to be 640x480 at 100+ dpi.

OK I have noted that and as for photo storage etc I use Photobucket, I'll try to find a way to post a thumbnail link to actual image in the future. I'll have a go at some more Background shots for you later, do you need a Marshall College or anything like that??
:whip:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
HJJNR

Great image. That's exactly what I mean for panning and scanning. Unfortunatley, I didn't expect the wrath of Stoo but then again a healthy crack of a whip doesn't hurt anyone.:D

Stoo

Anymore progress on the style sheets. As I feel I've learnt most of what can be achieved with the animation programme I'm using. It seems a bit pointless doing animations without them. Just doubling the work.

Indy's Brother

Have we a definative scene listing?

tempus31

I've need done any animation before either, only know certain principles. I got involved because I'd like to see an Indy cartoon. It's a been a good learning curve.