Rock-crusher fight

oki9Sedo

What does everyone think of the rock-crusher fight in Temple of Doom? I don't think its as good as the Flying Wing fight in Raiders, which is my favourite ever fight scene, but its still one of my favourites.

This is the superior uncut version of the fight for those poor souls like myself who grew up with the cut version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rtiPbzSLxKc

Its interesting how Indy is so much more badass in this fight then he is against the German mechanic in Raiders. He does nothing to the strongman initially, but once they're on the conveyer belt he gets the upper hand three or four times.

Last edited:

IndyJr.

I think the rock crusher fight was very good. The Raiders plane fight was better. But all-in-all the TOD fight is pretty good.

oki9Sedo

IndyJr. said:
I think the rock crusher fight was very good. The Raiders plane fight was better. But all-in-all the TOD fight is pretty good.

I think it isn't perfect like the plane fight. Its an excellent fight, but there's a few annoying little things.

Why do Indy's punches have little effect initially, and then miraculously they're powerful enough to almost knock the Thuggee to the ground?

And why does the Thuggee let him punch him in the mine cart, as his grunts clearly show they're at least hurting him.

These things don't really bother me, the point I'm making is that it isn't flawless like the plane fight.

The rock-crusher fight is my favourite sequence in the whole trilogy. That punch to the heart was pretty brutal. The noise Indy makes is rather disturbing,too. That fight is hacked to pieces in Britain. I don't understand why we were denied simple grunts and cries of pain? :hat:

IndyJr.

As a series goes on, films tend to get less and less senseful... typically movie makers think that the first was good... we can do anything we want for the 2nd now. Believe me, I've heard directors say it before...

IndyJr.

herr gruber said:
The rock-crusher fight is my favourite sequence in the whole trilogy. That punch to the heart was pretty brutal. The noise Indy makes is rather disturbing,too. That fight is hacked to pieces in Britain. I don't understand why we were denied simple grunts and cries of pain? :hat:

Thank God I'm in the US... :eek:

oki9Sedo

herr gruber said:

I love the part where the Thuggee punches Indy in the heart and is a really cool part of the fight. I don't think its too much for a PG, so its a shame its cut in Britain.

I haven't a clue why they removed the Thuggee's grunts as he lifts up Indy, carries him and dumps him in the cart, or his laugh as he picks up Shorty, or the grunts he makes when he gets punched.

Was that the first time you saw the uncut version herr gruber? I only saw it first last week (I'm Irish so am used to the cut version too).

oki9Sedo said:
I love the part where the Thuggee punches Indy in the heart and is a really cool part of the fight. I don't think its too much for a PG, so its a shame its cut in Britain.

I haven't a clue why they removed the Thuggee's grunts as he lifts up Indy, carries him and dumps him in the cart, or his laugh as he picks up Shorty, or the grunts he makes when he gets punched.

Was that the first time you saw the uncut version herr gruber?

The censors in this country have a strange idea of what is acceptable and what is not.

Censor#1: We cant be having someone grunting in a PG-13 film.
Censor#2: What about the exploding head in Raiders?
Censor#1: Oh, thats fine, that can stay in.

Oki9, I can't recall the exact date but it was a long time ago. You just jogged my memory with that clip. I instantly recalled Indy's punch to the heart noise.

oki9Sedo

IndyJr. said:
I've seen it. :eek:

Bizarre, isn't it? NONE of that stuff is too intense for a PG, with the exception of some of Indy's cries of pain as he's being stabbed and held down. Thats possibly a little upsetting for a PG.

sarah navarro

herr gruber said:
The noise Indy makes is rather disturbing,too. That fight is hacked to pieces in Britain. I don't understand why we were denied simple grunts and cries of pain? :hat:
that noise is pretty odd sounding, if i was punched in the heart by a giant man i would probably do the same :)
Grunting in Brittian is cut out?thats ridiculous ,i mean theres some grunting thats ok then theres some i could understand.

metalinvader

I love the part right after Shorty pulls the knife out of the voodoo doll and Indy has that 'You're f****** dead' look on his face.He looks so bad ass!:whip:

BadDates

My favourite part of that scene is the fact that Indy tries to save the Thuggee from the crusher. It shows Indy's compassion - he tries to spare the guard from that unimaginably grisly death, even though moments before, the Thuggee had been doing his level best to dispatch Indy in precisely that way. That sudden switch from fight-to-the-death to doomed-rescue-attempt neatly emphasises both the horror of the situation and Indy's decency. Great stuff.

WhipItGood

I always thought that Indy gets punched not quite in the heart, but rather in the solar plexus... which is why he gets the wind knocked out of him and makes that wheezing gasp. It's an automatic reaction of your body when hit in the solar plexus -- happened to me once when a football pass hit me dead center in the chest. Always thought it was great that such an unusual effect was put into the fight, since it totally incapacitates Indy for a moment and he's helpless until he recovers -- quite realistic without doing him permanent damage in the fight.

BadDates

WhipItGood said:
I always thought that Indy gets punched not quite in the heart, but rather in the solar plexus... which is why he gets the wind knocked out of him and makes that wheezing gasp. It's an automatic reaction of your body when hit in the solar plexus -- happened to me once when a football pass hit me dead center in the chest.

That happened to me once during a scuffle at school when I was 11. A startlingly unpleasant and alarming sensation, particularly since I didn't understand what was happening. I'm glad that the aggressor was a mere schoolyard bully and not a murderous Thuggee, as I was quite incapable of doing anything to defend myself for a few seconds.

oki9Sedo

BadDates said:
My favourite part of that scene is the fact that Indy tries to save the Thuggee from the crusher. It shows Indy's compassion - he tries to spare the guard from that unimaginably grisly death, even though moments before, the Thuggee had been doing his level best to dispatch Indy in precisely that way. That sudden switch from fight-to-the-death to doomed-rescue-attempt neatly emphasises both the horror of the situation and Indy's decency. Great stuff.

Have bad news for you there mate.

He's not trying to save him, he's just handing him the rope so that when he goes down into the rock-crusher, he'll pull Indy up onto the ledge.

oki9Sedo

BadDates said:
That happened to me once during a scuffle at school when I was 11. A startlingly unpleasant and alarming sensation, particularly since I didn't understand what was happening. I'm glad that the aggressor was a mere schoolyard bully and not a murderous Thuggee, as I was quite incapable of doing anything to defend myself for a few seconds.

Its a horrible feeling all right.

I think he punches him in the heart in the fight though.