I'm going on my first dig!!!!

Dig Site 1138

I'm very excited! I'm going on my first dig. There's an historical restoration going on at a house in Franklinton (a neighborhood in Columbus) and before they start, the firm that's handling it is doing an archaeological dig to look for anything of historical significance left behind by the previous owners (18th century forward). They were asking for volunteers and I got in (I doubt it was difficult).

The dig is December 4th and 5th (The 5th is, coincidentally, my birthday) from 8 AM to 4:30 PM.

anyone else who is interested in volunteering, I got the contact info from this article:

http://ohio-archaeology.blogspot.co...:+OhioArchaeologyBlog+(Ohio+Archaeology+Blog)

Wish me luck!!(y)

Dig Site 1138

Well, none of my cell phone photos got saved somehow. :mad: but it was a great dig!

The dig turned up:

1. lots of broken 19th century dishes.

2. one 1859 penny, two 1863 pennies, one "large cent" dated 18()4 and one Spanish Dollar (piece of eight) whose date was unreadable in the field.

3. a whole lot of pig, sheep, chicken and rodent bones.

4. a bunch of broken pipe stems

5. a bunch of broken combs

6. around 40 assorted buttons

7. nails, lots of nails.

I had a great time, even though it was freezing outside. I can't wait to do this again.

Dig Site 1138

kongisking said:
I hope you remembered to stay out of the light. :rolleyes:

I did. And thanks to that I found the path to Fortune and Glory. Well, $1.04 and some buttons. There was free hot chocolate! Does that count? :confused:

Dig Site 1138

Update on the dig findings!

I got an update on the Spanish Dollar we found. Here's an excerpt from the e-mail I received from Chief Investigator Andy Sewell:

We did a little more research into the 8 Reale coin yesterday after we got it cleaned up a bit. The coin is dated 1818 and tries to pass itself off as being a coin associated with Ferdinand VII, but we think that it?s probably a counterfeit 8 Reale!

There?s a couple of things that indicate a fake: the green corrosion indicates that there?s definitely some copper in the coin, whereas a real Reale should be fairly pure silver; the ?VII? is struck on the coin as ?IIV?, and it?s about 0.5 g lighter than it should be. Apparently, the first couple decades of the 19th century was a high point in coin counterfeiting, and the 8 Reale coin was the prime coin produced by counterfeiters.

There?s no real way to tell when the coin was actually made, but I don?t think that there?s any reason not to assume that the 1818 date is pretty close, considering the person who made the coin made several glaring errors that indicates to me they didn?t have the imagination to try and imitate an earlier coin and not one contemporary to their own time period.

Archaeologically speaking, I think the finding of a counterfeit coin is WAY more interesting than finding the real thing!!

(y)