ToD Hindi translations

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Found these here:

when Mola Ram orders Indy and Short Round to be whipped:
"maro maro suar ko, chamdi neecho peelo koon"
"strike and strike that pig again! Tear his skin and drink his blood!".

When Mola Ram is about to pull out the sacrifice-guy's heart:
"Bali mangthi Kali Ma! Shakti degi Kali ma! Kali Ma! Kali Ma, Shakti Deh!"
"Mother Kali wants a sacrifice! Mother Kali will give us power! Mother Kali! Mother Kali, give us power!"

Indy telling his elephant guides to stop
"Abhi Roko!"
"Stop for now!"

Elephant guide freaking out at the Kali statue:
"Vinasya! Maha vinasya!"
"Protect us! God protect us!"

When Mola Ram is hanging off the bridge
"Mere sipayos! Isko patheerda chalao!"
"My soldiers! Fire arrows at him!"

"You betrayed Shiva! Thum Shiva Ke Vishwasth Karthe Ho! You betrayed Shiva!"
"You betrayed Shiva! You believe in Shiva! You betrayed Shiva!"

IAdventurer01

Wow, thanks! Good to know what they say in English, because it's a lot harder to relay missed lines to friends when it's not.

Of course, now I'll scare them with the fact that I actually know the translations. :p

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
So, Mola Ram and the Nazi sub base guy both call Indy a pig.
(It makes his annoyance in Raiders a bit more amusing.)

fortune&glory

Spoken Hindi in the Temple of Doom

My brother and I have been studying Hindi, and we were interested in some of the Hindi lines that appear in the film. Most of these are spoken by Amrish Puri's character Mola Ram. It is interesting to me that there are actually lines which are significant to the story, but were not intended for most American filmgoers to understand.

Last night we watched Temple with a friend of ours from India, and he interpreted some of the lines for us. Anyway I figured some Indy fans might find it interesting to hear what Mola Ram and others are actually saying in Hindi. Here are a few examples:

As the young sacrificial victim is coming out of the tunnel he is screaming "bachao! bachao!" which not surprisingly means help. Then, as they are enclosing him in the metal frame he starts chanting "om nama shivaya" which is a mantra repeated by Hindus in honor of the name of Shiva. Mola Ram speaks some words over him which I am still not clear on, but he speaks of Kali's "shakti" or power. Then after he pulls the heart out he raises it up and repeats several times to the crowd of worshippers, "ab, uski jan meri mutti me hai" which can be translated as NOW, HIS LIFE IS IN MY FIST!

In addition to these phrases, you will often here the Thuggee guards say chale or chalo and Jaldi karo which mean go ahead or lets go, and hurry, respectively. On the rope bridge Mola Ram pulls one of his own men off the bridge as he is climbing up, apparently in an attempt to knock our hero off as well, and as Ram's arm pulls the man off he screams "NAHEE, NAHEE!", meaning no,no! Finally as the stones burn through Indy's satchel during the final confrontation of hero and villain, Indy repeats "Tum Shiva ke vishvas kate ho.", which Indy translates as you('ve) betrayed Shiva. I'm not for sure what KATE means, but literally it's you shiva's belief or faith (kate[?]) are. It may mean you betray shiva, or you believe shiva, either way the real meaning of the scene is fairly evident. (NOTE: the language spoken by the villagers is Sinhalese, the primary language of Sri Lanka as this is where they filmed the scenes. I don't know any of this language except a few things made clear in the film, namely estute (thanks), bahoma estute (many thanks), and Lamai (children))

Well that's all I have today, I hope this was interesting. Now I just need someone who speaks german to tell me what all the Nazis in Raiders and Crusade are saying!

Blue Jay

thank you so much!!!

it is nice to see that spielberg and lucas were not cheating on their audience by having them talk some chibberish :D

VP

Moderator Emeritus
All the actors just spoke their native language, English and American English, the guys in Sri Lanka Sinhalese and the Bollywood actors Hindi.

fortune&glory

Hey IndyJr. from where did you learn that? Kya aap Hindi sikh rahe hain? (are you learning Hindi?). Aap Hindi bahut accha samajhte hain! (you understand Hindi very well!)

Stoo

fortune&glory said:
in the metal frame he starts chanting "om nama shivaya" which is a mantra repeated by Hindus in honor of the name of Shiva.
A few years after "Doom" came out, a Canadian-Indian told me that the equivalent was "in the name of Shiva".
Seems that would that be correct, no?

to the crowd of worshippers, "ab, uski jan meri mutti me hai" which can be translated as NOW, HIS LIFE IS IN MY FIST!
Always wondered what he was saying here. Thanks a lot!(y)

Thuggee guards say chale or chalo and Jaldi karo which mean go ahead or lets go, and hurry, respectively.
"Jaldi" is used prominently several times in "Gunga Din".
"Jaldi! Jaldi! Gunga Din, bring water!":whip:

Well that's all I have today, I hope this was interesting.
You can bet your boots (or hat), it was. Hey, if you are interested in other Thug films,
check out the classic "Gunga Din" as well as "The Deceivers" (1988) with Pierce Brosnan.
If you know of any other Indian films that deal with Thugs or Kali, please let me know.
Good luck with your studies and thanks for the excellent post!

Jooones!

Wow thanks a lot f&g that was a great informative post there!

In addition to these phrases, you will often here the Thuggee guards say chale or chalo and Jaldi karo which mean go ahead or lets go, and hurry, respectively.
Especially this part was worth something! me and my g/f were always using "jaldi karo" jokingly, we figured that it was some sort of command, or offence...now I only need to know what the diggers who were with Sallah and Indy (in the dusk/ark excavation scene of Raiders) were singing. sounds like: "a---riande...." or something...lol.