Uncharted: The Games

WitAndAWhip

Morning Bell said:
I'm still hooked on the multiplayer and I can't remember the last time I was addicted to a video game. It's great fun and a nice way to relax after a long day.

By the way, my PSN name is U2_Vertigo40 if anyone wants to add me or play a round sometime.:hat:
I hear ya. I'm hooked on the multiplayer myself right now. I haven't been playing for very long but I'll send ya my gamertag.

For anyone on the fence about this game, all i can say is give it a try. If you're a fan of Indy, chances are this game was made for you. :) I was blown away by the original Uncharted (Drake's Fortune) and just got around to playing UC2 a couple weeks ago. It may be my favorite video game series of all time (not that I'm a huge gamer or anything tho). The level of detail they put into the game is phenomenal. You really feel like you're playing through an Indy-type movie...Can't wait for the new DLC. The Museum looks great.

BTW...i'd love to play multiplayer with some fellow Indy fans so PM me if you're interested and I'll send ya my PSN name.

Morning Bell

That expansion pack definitely looks cool and I can't wait to get it. For some reason tonight I couldn't even get into a game without my character freezing or being disconnected entirely. I don't know if it's just my connection or what but it was really frustrating. Hopefully I'll be able to get on tomorrow night. Has anyone else been experiencing stuff like this lately?

TrentPraeger

Morning Bell said:
For some reason tonight I couldn't even get into a game without my character freezing or being disconnected entirely. I don't know if it's just my connection or what but it was really frustrating. Hopefully I'll be able to get on tomorrow night. Has anyone else been experiencing stuff like this lately?

Buddy of mine had the same thing happen to him. Then, he let his PS3 update completely, and it seemed to run fine after that. BTW, Nate Drake is almost as cool as Indiana Jones. Just my two cents.

Fortune and Glory.:whip:

WitAndAWhip

Morning Bell said:
That expansion pack definitely looks cool and I can't wait to get it. For some reason tonight I couldn't even get into a game without my character freezing or being disconnected entirely. I don't know if it's just my connection or what but it was really frustrating. Hopefully I'll be able to get on tomorrow night. Has anyone else been experiencing stuff like this lately?
Yeah, i think it comes out this week if i'm not mistaken. Can't wait! As for the connection issues, I just started playing UC2 a couple weeks ago and I've experienced pretty bad lag on some occasions. It's definitely frustrating cus it causes alot of deaths.

I still can't figure out if it's my connection or the network tho.

Just curious, for those who do Uncharted Multiplayer what type of games do you usually play? I've pretty much stuck to Plunder and Elimination since I started. What's the best type of custom game? What's your favorite?

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

uncharted-b1.jpg

Are you enjoying your Double Cash weekend? The cap has also been raised from $50,000 to $150,000 per match!

Title Update 1.07 is also out, and addresses the spawn point issues in addition to allowing

* Players can now select a Hero skin through their online profile for Co-op Arena matches only
* Gameplay changes to prevent ?airwalk? exploit by players
* Updates to map geometry collision detection to improve prevention of players attempting to leave normal multiplayer map boundaries

And for those of you who haven't yet dropped the $5.99 for the Siege Expansion Pack, here's a couple of videos from in-game action.

Co-Op Siege

The Museum Fly-through

The Highrise Fly-through

And for those of you who don't get your fill of Uncharted here, drop by Naughty Dog's newly established forum! Sub-sections for all things Drake's Fortune & Among Thieves exist here and here.

WitAndAWhip said:
Just curious, for those who do Uncharted Multiplayer what type of games do you usually play? I've pretty much stuck to Plunder and Elimination since I started. What's the best type of custom game? What's your favorite?

I was fond of Plunder at the Press Event, but I haven't played on-line since then. I may give Siege a look, because it looks pretty intense. We'll see.

Morning Bell

WitAndAWhip said:

I like a little of everything. I mostly play All Competitive Modes or Co-Op Arena, as well as regular Co-Op and Elimination from time to time. If anyone's ever up for a game just drop me a line and let me know. I've seen several of you online but I've either been in the middle of a game or had to go before I joined up with any of you, so my apologies if I haven't been able to play with you yet.:hat:

WitAndAWhip

Morning Bell said:
I like a little of everything. I mostly play All Competitive Modes or Co-Op Arena, as well as regular Co-Op and Elimination from time to time. If anyone's ever up for a game just drop me a line and let me know. I've seen several of you online but I've either been in the middle of a game or had to go before I joined up with any of you, so my apologies if I haven't been able to play with you yet.:hat:
I need to give Co-op a try. I love Plunder but that seems to be the game that's causing the worst lag for me.

We'll have to set up a match sometime. I tried sending you an invite but i've never actually set up a custom game before. So far I've only used the matchmaking system. It looks like there are many more options with Custom Games? Maybe we could arrange a night when several of us on this board could have a match.

I should warn you guys, I've just started playing a couple weeks ago so I'm not great yet but I'm having a blast. The last multiplayer shooter I played was Goldeneye for N64 lol...I just bought the new DLC and I'm loving the Museum. The amount of detail they put into this game is stunning.

WitAndAWhip

I finally gave Co-Op a try. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun playing a video game.

It's rare that an action-game has me replaying it long after I beat it but the game is so deep. I don't think I've even touched half the m/p modes.

I'm hoping to give Gold Rush a try tonight.

Le Saboteur

WitAndAWhip said:
Does anybody play in a clan?

No, no clan playing. I stopped that after the first Diablo.

A few pages ago, I mentioned the Among Thieves art book that was being released by Ballistic Publishing. All three versions of the book are on sale now, but if you're tastes run towards "free", then stop by the All Things Uncharted! Ballistic has sent them a copy to give away to their readers. No updates on the contest yet, but do stop by.

While there, give a glance to the article "Drake's Fortune: How Does it Feel Now?" Does Drake's Fortune still hold up for you despite Among Thieves?

uncharted-2-action-packed-header-image.jpg

Also: G4TV has posted an interview they did with Greg Edmonson, the composer for Among Thieves! Go give it a read.

WitAndAWhip

My only complaint about UC2's multiplayer is the Situational Awareness booster. It's killin me right now. I'm at level 34 but my k/d ratio is terrible and I would say that 60-70% of my deaths are from enemies using S.A. Maybe it's just me but it seems ridiculous that you can hit a button and know where everyone is on the map. It takes some of the fun and strategy out of the game, especially when the people who have it are the ones who don't really need it. It makes it tough for the people who got into the game late.

As I said, I'm havin a blast playing this game and I don't care that much about stats but I feel like I'm not as bad as my results are showing right now. I'd love to play with some people who really what they're doing.

Anyone have any tips?

Morning Bell

WitAndAWhip said:
My only complaint about UC2's multiplayer is the Situational Awareness booster. It's killin me right now. I'm at level 34 but my k/d ratio is terrible and I would say that 60-70% of my deaths are from enemies using S.A. Maybe it's just me but it seems ridiculous that you can hit a button and know where everyone is on the map. It takes some of the fun and strategy out of the game, especially when the people who have it are the ones who don't really need it. It makes it tough for the people who got into the game late.

As I said, I'm havin a blast playing this game and I don't care that much about stats but I feel like I'm not as bad as my results are showing right now. I'd love to play with some people who really what they're doing.

Anyone have any tips?

It can be frustrating but there is a booster called "Evasion" that allows you to be immune from Situational Awareness. Unfortunately I think you have to be at 45 or something to get it. I find the best way to avoid it is to really keep moving and constantly keep changing positions. It's harder for people to find you if you're constantly on the move.

WitAndAWhip

Morning Bell said:
It can be frustrating but there is a booster called "Evasion" that allows you to be immune from Situational Awareness. Unfortunately I think you have to be at 45 or something to get it. I find the best way to avoid it is to really keep moving and constantly keep changing positions. It's harder for people to find you if you're constantly on the move.
Thanks, that's great advice. I've been trying to do that more and more lately and it really does help. I'll definitely be getting "Evasion" once I reach level 50 (currently 39). Until then I'll just have to live with the disadvantage. Oh well, what doesn't kill ya...right?

I'm really into the Co-Op modes right now. Siege is alot of fun, especially on the newer maps. Has anyone tried Gold Rush or Plunder on the Highrise?!?! Haha...it's quite a challenge.

BTW, I heard Nolan North mention that ND has already started production on Uncharted 3. I can't wait to see how they expand on the first two games. Any ideas what the story might revolve around? I'd love to see them do something in the desert (Egyptian pyramids, Middle east or something along those lines).. It'd be cool to see what they could do with that type of environment.

Le Saboteur

uncharted-2-among-thieves-gameplay-screenshot.jpg

Following Valve's lead with their weekly mutations, Naughty Dog is set to introduce a series of 'experimental' multi-player options for the foreseeable future. Dubbed "The Lab," it'll feature one or more custom tuned games. Up first:

Naughty Dog said:
May 28 ? June 1

2 vs. 2 Team Deathmatch
Grab a partner for this small- to medium-size map mow-down. You?ve got 15 minutes to rack up 25 kills, or more than the other team, to prove your small-team superiority. I?m going to recommend now that you?re going to want pick a reliable teammate you want to play with over the weekend?

For those that are still trying to level up, the first weekend is going to be a Double Cash Weekend! No word on the rest of the weekends, but do stay tuned for more news. In the meantime, rounding out the month of June are:

Naughty Dog said:
June 11 ? 14
Shotguns Only
We?re serving up short-range mayhem as all players and maps spawn with Moss-12 and Pistole only. Oh, and NO grenades.

June 25 ? 28
Sniper Extermination
Two teams. Dragon Sniper rifles. One life per round. Best of 5 rounds takes the match win. Absolutely tense, totally tactical.

Hate the idea? Drop in on the Uncharted 2 Forum to vent all your frustrations. Or, just leave your glowing praise! But at least wait until you've given it a try.

WitAndAWhip said:
BTW, I heard Nolan North mention that ND has already started production on Uncharted 3.

Officially speaking, Nolan North has said nothing of the sort. He has intimated it on a couple of different occasions, and answered the question by saying "if you were Sony, wouldn't you want an Uncharted 3?" In short, it's a lot of 'Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink.' If you're interested, the full chat can be had over here. Otherwise, there's a decent recap available over here.

That said, we can safely assume that a decision has been made and that they're internally discussing the third outing.

uncharted-2-among-thieves-20090318093707032_640w.jpg

WitAndAWhip said:
I can't wait to see how they expand on the first two games. Any ideas what the story might revolve around? I'd love to see them do something in the desert (Egyptian pyramids, Middle east or something along those lines).. It'd be cool to see what they could do with that type of environment.

If I know Amy, the next game will take place in the desert. It's how they arrived at snow for Among Thieves -- what's the opposite of the jungle? The problem I see, however, is how are you going to feature the traversal exploration & combat that's become the hallmark of the series? The desert is horizontal, not vertical. It'll be difficult, but it can be done. I'd look into a different desert setting, maybe further up The Levant.

And depending on whether or not they dig up an explorer first, there could be plenty of things to settle on. Everybody who's anybody has trekked through Egypt at one point, but I'd really like to see Ibn Battuta be the explorer of record.

Also: Tomorrow a series of Among Thieves avatars will be released on the PS Network.

And I'll ask again: Has anybody else notice that Drake's belt buckle has changed from game to game? It'll be interesting to see what happens in a third outing.

Le Saboteur

Uncharted-2-Among-Thieves-Wallpaper.jpg

For those of you still blasting away in the multiplayer game, remember starting today (the 28th) through Tuesday (1 June) is the beginning of "The Lab" and a double cash weekend! Maximum cash level has been raised to $150,000 per match, so get out there and start blasting!

The maps active within ?The Lab? Playlist are:

* Temple
* Ice Cave
* Plaza
* Village

And once you're done death dealing, the fine folks at Naughty Dog would love to hear your thoughts.

In other news, if you haven't picked up your copy of The Art of Uncharted 2 from Ballistic Publishing, they're now readily available. Naughty Dog has given a glimpse of what you'll be getting in the box for your hard earned cash.

This cat has a video dedicated exclusively to the unboxing of the limited folio edition. Give it a look if you have the time! Definitely a quality looking book.

If you prefer still images, check out Naughty Dog's Flickr page!

michael

I tested out the Lab this weekend, with the 2 v 2 deathmatches. I don't have many PSN friends, so it's charming teaming up with a "random" and doing absolute work against the other team. Not sure if I'm gonna enjoy the shotgun only matches in the next Lab, but I will give it a try none the less, just gonna have to do a lot more sneaking around! Hopefully they make that weekend another Double Cash, because this previous one I was able to make it to level 50. I'd almost think they'd have to with all the other amazing games out there to play.

Also, I am really loving the Co-Op Arena portion of multiplayer, lately. It used to be where I only played Plunder, but battling it out through waves of enemies with randoms, to me, has it's charm. A bunch of no-namers just trying to work together. I ALMOST prefer for nobody to have a mic too, as crazy as that may seem. It makes everybody work a lot harder and the sense of "we don't have to speak" to communicate and get this done.

In regards to the new map pack about a month ago, the High Rise is one of my favorite maps, the amount of ways you can flank, climb and descend, is astounding for a multiplayer experience. It's just that I don't get to play it as much because not everyone has the DLC. Here's to more maps like that in the future and Uncharted 3!

*edit: Le Saboteur, I have to ask, do you work with Naughty Dog in any form?

Le Saboteur

uncharted-multiplayer-2.jpg

michael said:
*edit: Le Saboteur, I have to ask, do you work with Naughty Dog in any form?

You don't expect me to honestly answer this, do you? ;) Seriously though, I have a very casual relationship with a couple of devs at ND, but I do not work for them in any capacity. I wouldn't decline an offer if extended, but everything I do here is of my own initiative. As previously mentioned, it's to ensure that Uncharted is experienced by as many Indy fans as possible! I don't think it would be much of a stretch to say that both fanbases are not mutually exclusive.

michael said:
I tested out the Lab this weekend, with the 2 v 2 deathmatches. I don't have many PSN friends, so it's charming teaming up with a "random" and doing absolute work against the other team. Not sure if I'm gonna enjoy the shotgun only matches in the next Lab, but I will give it a try none the less, just gonna have to do a lot more sneaking around! Hopefully they make that weekend another Double Cash, because this previous one I was able to make it to level 50. I'd almost think they'd have to with all the other amazing games out there to play.

Good! Glad to know that somebody out there is enjoying all the extra work ND is putting into the multiplayer experience! I'm tempted more and more to try the online component. One of these days I may actually follow through with it.

michael said:
I ALMOST prefer for nobody to have a mic too, as crazy as that may seem.

I prefer that nobody does. For every thoughtful comment or assist, there's a tonne of inane chatter. I really don't care how drunk you actually are or aren't.

michael said:
Here's to more maps like that in the future and Uncharted 3!

Speaking of Uncharted 3 (just say no to numeric continuation!), there's a bit of a buzz swirling around the 'net. The German knockoff of Facebook, meinVZ, has an official Nathan Drake pagethat was recently updated with ""Wahrscheinlich ist es Wahnsinn, aber ich will der Sache nachgehen. Werde nach Fredrikstad fliegen, Amundsen Heimatort. Muss es wissen!" Translated to English it reads "This is probably crazy, but I'm looking into it. Flying to Fredrikstad, Amundsen's home town. I must know!"

According to Kotaku, Fredrikstad is a town in Norway, and is the birthplace of Roald Amundsen, a famed polar explorer who was the first man to ever reach both the South and North Poles.

Where it gets interesting is that Amundsen went missing in 1928, and while the plane he was flying in was later found, his body was not. And where it gets really interesting is that previous updates left on the meinVZ page earlier in the year tell of Amundsen writing about finding 25 million year-old cities buried under the ice.

Another snow outing? Maybe. It would fly in the established idea of changing locales from outing to outing that Amy has talked about. Could it be possible DLC, an interim outing like the new Tomb Raider game? Speculation abounds!

Latest update:

Nathan Drake said:
Morgen geht endlich der Flug. Fühle mich beobachtet. Ein Mann verfolgt mich seit Tagen. Sollte mich vielleicht mal mit ihm unterhalten.”

Roughly translated it says "Tomorrow is the last flight. I feel like I’m being watched. A man followed me for days. Perhaps it’s time for me to talk to him."

uncharted-2-hd-header-685x385.jpg

Now that I've made you read this much, I hate to say it, but it doesn't appear to be a legitimate storyline. Kotaku updated their article after (apparently) receiving a note from ND:

Kotaku said:
Nothing to see here, sadly. While the page is indeed the series' official meinVZ portal, we've been told the Amundsen references were just PR folks getting into character, and not part of any marketing campaign for a future Uncharted product. Shame! For a bunch of advertising types, it was a pretty good stab at an Uncharted plotline!

Considering that Amundsen was the first person to make it to both Poles, it could be an interesting story. I just hope to hell that it has absolutely nothing to do with Atlantis.

All things considered, ND didn't out-and-out say that this wasn't true. Keep your ears and ears focused on E3!

original.jpg

Sufficiently distracted?

In other actual news, Title Update 1.08 was finally released stateside. It continues to address spawning issues, and also

* Addressed exploit where players were able to use three Boosters simultaneously
* Additional changes made to address players exploiting within matches by leaving normal map boundaries
* Players who have reached Level 60 will have their level displayed in-game with an icon next to their PSN ID
* Players with DLC and the DLC Matchmaking option selected in their online profile will find games in those maps more consistently
* Improvements made to team balancing calculations
* Removed Twitter update functionality from in-game menu

Last edited:

michael

Le Saboteur said:
You don't expect me to honestly answer this, do you? ;) Seriously though, I have a very casual relationship with a couple of devs at ND, but I do not work for them in any capacity. I wouldn't decline an offer if extended, but everything I do here is of my own initiative.
Well that's awesome! I most definitely appreciate the info your bring to this forum, because I almost always check the Raven before the Uncharted forums over at Naughty Dog's site. Btw, they did a great job with those!

Also! Speaking of ND Devs, I was actually in an online Elimination match the other day, on the High Rise, and I played someone on the other team with the Naughty Dog Paw Print logo next to his tag. Do only developers get those? Regardless, it was really cool, and a decent match! I got him a few times, too! :gun:

Le Saboteur said:
As previously mentioned, it's to ensure that Uncharted is experienced by as many Indy fans as possible! I don't think it would be much of a stretch to say that both fanbases are not mutually exclusive.
I suggest you go on multiplayer on Uncharted 2, check out the character selection, and go to the "Random" Character Silhouette, and tell me that's not Indiana Jones! It's definitely not Tenzin, you can tell by the shape of the hat. Still not sure if it's intentional, but I found it to be clever, and believe it is Dr. Jones!

Ska

Hey Sab...you haven't heard anything from ND about DLC single player stuff, have you? I'd love for an expansion of the story of Uncharted 2.

I'm sure the online multiplayer DLC is great, but it's not for me. However, I'd buy addition single player chapters in a heartbeat.

Le Saboteur

michael said:
Well that's awesome! I most definitely appreciate the info your bring to this forum, because I almost always check the Raven before the Uncharted forums over at Naughty Dog's site. Btw, they did a great job with those!

:hat:

Thank you for the vote of confidence, michael! I do what I can to keep the embers smoldering around here, so it's nice to know that people are still paying attention.

michael said:
I played someone on the other team with the Naughty Dog Paw Print logo next to his tag. Do only developers get those?

In short, yes. The only other tags you're going to start seeing are XX & XXX for when players achieve a certain level. More on that later though.

A few pages back, I posted a link to an interview with Evan Wells who basically said there would be no further DLC related to the single-player campaign. Since each story was self-contained, there wasn't anything to expand it with.

Ska said:
Hey Sab...you haven't heard anything from ND about DLC single player stuff, have you? I'd love for an expansion of the story of Uncharted 2.

Like you though, I would snatch up individual chapters like hotcakes. We'll see what happens what happens, but if Drake is out of the public consciousness long enough, we might see something. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

42118_Uncharted2-02_normal.jpg

For those of who are still with Drake & Co. this late in the game, you might have noticed that the previous level cap of 60 has been increased to 80! Yes, that's right, Level 80! According to Naughty Dog's latest update, "each level beyond 60 requires accumulating $15,000,000 in cash to level up and that stays consistent throughout 61 to 80. That means you will need to accumulate a total of $362,965,500 to hit level 80."

Read that again: $362,965,500! Talk about dedication. I'm tempted to start just to see if I can accumulate such an ungodly amount of money.

For all your hard work, Naughty Dog is unveiling two new exclusive villain skins, Blaine and Dutch. (Somebody's been watching too much Predator.)

Meet Blaine. Your reward for reaching Level 70!

4733715687_ac01ae1688_b.jpg

Meet Dutch. Your reward for reaching Level 80! And only available to those who reach Level 80. Either somebody is really dedicated, or a bad ass.

4734354056_6d51b7018c_b.jpg

In addition to the new skins, ND has raised the amount of cash you can earn per match to $75,000. This, plus the extra Double Cash Weekends should go a long way towards earning those new levels!

Read all about it at Naughty Dog's site!

Interested in the World Cup? Well, until 12 July Naughty Dog is letting you rep your country in game if you were lucky to make it to the knock out rounds! Check out the full details here.

And in a final bit of news, the folks at All Things Uncharted are arguing for the death (!) of a main character during the eventual third outing!

Amazon France also lists Uncharted 3 as coming October 11th, 2011. All indications suggest that this is merely a placeholder.