My Christy's Adventurer wool felt

indywannabbe

Fedora1989

indywannabbe said:
This is one of the most confusing threads ive ever clicked on. It is a Federation iv in the pics, and it is supposed to be wool - but isnt.
I don't know where you got the Akubra idea from :rolleyes: Both hats, the Adventurer and Swerford, are only available in rabbit fur-felt. I've never heard of a wool option.

fenris

Well... Here's the wool version of the Adventurer.

ProductImage.ashx
ProductImage.ashx

http://www.themovieshop.com/Adventurer-Hat-Wool-Felt-Fedora-Hat-Movie-Hat

I remember seeing this after I got my Christy's Adventurer. Pretty cheap. Just don't get it wet as I'm sure it will shrink so fast you'll have a dunce cap on your head.

Still, looks pretty decent. Waaaayyyyy better than a DP. ;)

indywannabbe

Not Christys

fenris said:
Well... Here's the wool version of the Adventurer.

ProductImage.ashx
ProductImage.ashx

http://www.themovieshop.com/Adventurer-Hat-Wool-Felt-Fedora-Hat-Movie-Hat

I remember seeing this after I got my Christy's Adventurer. Pretty cheap. Just don't get it wet as I'm sure it will shrink so fast you'll have a dunce cap on your head.

Still, looks pretty decent. Waaaayyyyy better than a DP. ;)

Thanks, that does look nice. But i did email them about 2 weeks ago and they said it wasnt a christys, rather a movie shop hat and 58cm was smallest size, im 57. And it doesnt specifically mention it is a indy hat.
But will spraying it with water shrink it 1cm?

Last edited:

Fedora1989

indywannabbe said:
Thanks, that does look nice. But i did email them about 2 weeks ago and they said it wasnt a christys, rather a movie shop hat and 58cm was smallest size, im 57. And it doesnt specifically mention it is a indy hat.
But will spraying it with water shrink it 1cm?
Since the hat is wool, don't use water on any part of the hat. Better safe than sorry, ya know? Instead, put a strip of foam (or tissue) underneath the sweatband and that'll give the hat a snugger fit. If the sweatband is leather like the site claims it is, the sweatband will absorb your sweat and with the heat, the sweatband will shrink a bit. Eventually the hat will fit you perfectly.:gun: A cm bigger is easily fixable with what I just told you. Anything bigger and you're better off looking for a hat that fits you well.

indywannabbe

Fedora1989 said:
Since the hat is wool, don't use water on any part of the hat. Better safe than sorry, ya know? Instead, put a strip of foam (or tissue) underneath the sweatband and that'll give the hat a snugger fit. If the sweatband is leather like the site claims it is, the sweatband will absorb your sweat and with the heat, the sweatband will shrink a bit. Eventually the hat will fit you perfectly.:gun: A cm bigger is easily fixable with what I just told you. Anything bigger and you're better off looking for a hat that fits you well.

Thank you friend. I recieved the hat today and it is loose as i suspected it would be, it just plops onto my head and no grip on it that the wind could blow it off.

But i was given sponge so i will try do what you say. Although the sweatband at the rear of the hat is sewn on so i cant slot the sponge in, i will have to manouvre around it.
Thank you for reassuring words of wisdom that the hat isnt too big and is wearable, as i was worried i was wasting my money on something too big.

But it is a nice hat for the price and it is lined which i didnt think wool hats were and with a leather sweatband. I dont think i need to buy anymore hats now. 3 fedoras is more than i ever imagined id own.

indywannabbe

Thank you friend. I recieved the hat today and it is loose as i suspected it would be, it just plops onto my head and no grip on it that the wind could blow it off.

But i was given sponge so i will try do what you say. Although the sweatband at the rear of the hat is sewn on so i cant slot the sponge in, i will have to manouvre around it. Also it seems the sweatband is hard to pull pull back from behind the bow, so it is hard to slot the sponge in which is wider than the sweatband and theres no sticky bit on the sponge so it dont stay in place....not ideal. I think i may leave it actually and just wear the hat like it is slightly too big.

Thank you for reassuring words of wisdom that the hat isnt too big and is wearable, as i was worried i was wasting my money on something too big.

But it is a nice hat for the price and it is lined which i didnt think wool hats were and with a leather sweatband. I dont think i need to buy anymore hats now. 3 fedoras is more than i ever imagined id own

Fedora1989

Sometimes there's glue underneath the sweatband behind the bow. You could just pull it back so you can fit a piece foam in there. But if you decide to wear it without the foam strips, HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT! :hat:

Fedora1989

Well if you're shrinking the sweatband with water, I think it's safe to say that you can use hot air to dry it using a hair dryer or whatever. Just make sure not to get the wool wet.

indywannabbe

Fedora1989 said:
Well if you're shrinking the sweatband with water, I think it's safe to say that you can use hot air to dry it using a hair dryer or whatever. Just make sure not to get the wool wet.

Thanks for the masterclass. I never considered spraying the sweatband or wetting it because its most inside the hat and cant be seen. When i was thinking of wetting the hat i was thinking mostly of the crown and top of the brim, the kind of water as if it was raining, these parts of the hat would be exposed to wet. But have i got my thinking wrong then?

Is it better to wet the sweatband are you saying?

Fedora1989

Even light rain can shrink a hat, so I'd advise not to use water. You'll have to shrink the sweatband if you want the hat to fit. The rest of the hat will conform to your head with wear. Also, if you do plan on wearing the hat in wet weather, try spraying it with water repellent. I've used Scout Rain and Stain Repellent on my Akubra Fed IV and it works really well! http://www.noggintops.com/Scout-Rai...archPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12
You can find this at a local western clothing store that sales cowboy hats.

indywannabbe

Ok gotcha so the sweatband needs shrinking, and im assuming i can just get a wet cotton cloth and wipe the sweatband and let it dry naturally or use a hairdryer ( i dont have a hairdryer) so maybe near a radiator or airing cupboard until the hat fits perfectly?
1cm isnt so much so it shouldnt be too hard hopefully.

I live in UK so its hard to not get your hat wet it rains quite a lot, so yes maybe i'll look to get some water repellant thanks for that link. I just hope if my hat shrinks it retains the shape and look of a indy hat