Anyone have pics or info about American Cinematographer from 1981?

I was just wondering if anyone has any pics or info regarding the American Cinematographer from November of 1981? I'd like to see what the pics look like inside? From what I hear it's a really good issue to have regarding the making of ROTLA. Please post pics or info if you can. Thanks!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
cropdustdair said:
I was just wondering if anyone has any pics or info regarding the American Cinematographer from November of 1981?

Unsurprisingly, I do.

I'd like to see what the pics look like inside?

Try - http://www.ebay.com/itm/221150324648?redirect=mobile (It ain't cheap?! Unlike MAD Magazine.)

cd said:
From what I hear it's a really good issue to have regarding the making of ROTLA. Please post pics or info if you can. Thanks!

It is nice. Try posting a few things we we haven't seen in the digital thread and I may save you a few dollars!:cool:

I'd love to see pictures from this issue. Are there any rare pics or behind the scenes pics? I always wanted to pick this issue up as a kid, but could never find it. And $60 for a magazine? Yikes! I was hoping someone out there could save me a few bucks and post some pictures from the issue. Thanks to you guys! :D

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
cropdustdair said:
I'd love to see pictures from this issue. Are there any rare pics or behind the scenes pics? I always wanted to pick this issue up as a kid, but could never find it. And $60 for a magazine? Yikes! I was hoping someone out there could save me a few bucks and post some pictures from the issue. Thanks to you guys! :D

Give a little, get a little...;)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
cropdustdair said:
I would JuniorJones, but I don't have anything to show that you guys haven't already seen in the Indy dept. I wish I did. :(

C'mon! You must have something...even childhood drawings!:p

Sorry not an even a drawing. Everything I have, I've seen on The Raven already. I don't have anything that rare or obscure. The American Cinematographer magazine from Nov. 1981 is one that always eluded me. Mainly due to the fact that when I was a kid, nobody in my town sold it. At least that I knew about anyway.
I've always been fascinated with the making of the film and just thought it would be an interesting read and would love to see some behind the scenes photos if there was any.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
cropdustdair said:
Sorry not an even a drawing. Everything I have, I've seen on The Raven already. I don't have anything that rare or obscure. The American Cinematographer magazine from Nov. 1981 is one that always eluded me. Mainly due to the fact that when I was a kid, nobody in my town sold it. At least that I knew about anyway.
I've always been fascinated with the making of the film and just thought it would be an interesting read and would love to see some behind the scenes photos if there was any.

Still, you've had almost 31 years to pick it up!!

Okay, this is the deal. The magazine covers 50 pages of Indy, although some pages are sections. It is possibly one of the best magazine to feature the film of Raiders.

It contains:-

- Articles by Steve Spielberg, Douglas Slocombe, Richard Elund and an Interview with Glenn Randall

Here's a taster...

000a-1.jpg

001a-3.jpg

snakes.jpg

However, I'm keen for people to engage in our community rather than ask for free stuff all the time.

Draw an original six page comic strip featuring Indy, with cover, (the first page can be a splash the others have to be a minimum of 6 panels plus I don't care if you can't draw) and post it here.

And I'll post the magazine here with watermark but I will PM you the non-watermaked magazine at full resolution. I imagine some members would LOVE to see all this and you have the key to unlock it!!!:p :p :p

angel%2Bheart%2Bde%2Bniro.jpg

Deal? :eek:

Last edited:

Raven7dp

I didn't have to draw a six page original comic strip of Indiana Jones to get my copy of the November 1981 issue of American Cinematographer. It only took $17.51 and some perseverance. Like the other posters have mentioned it is worth every penny. I'm super stoked that this example is extremely nice and unused condition. No tatty mag to pour over.

Jonathan

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Raven7dp said:
I didn't have to draw a six page original comic strip of Indiana Jones to get my copy of the November 1981 issue of American Cinematographer. It only took $17.51 and some perseverance. Like the other posters have mentioned it is worth every penny. I'm super stoked that this example is extremely nice and unused condition. No tatty mag to pour over.

Jonathan

Good for you. Don't spoil the fun.;)

Yeah I ended up getting a mint/unread copy for right around $20 as well. And it was a lot less time consuming than making a comic strip for sure. :D

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
cropdustdair said:
Yeah I ended up getting a mint/unread copy for right around $20 as well. And it was a lot less time consuming than making a comic strip for sure. :D

How disappointing!

So, you've read it and what's your opinion?...(well, this is a forum to talk about IJ rather than a finders service!)

You're very correct Junior Jones! ;)
I've read it and it's VERY cool! Worth every penny. Very insightful and informative.
How fun it must've been to be on the set. How hot it must've been on the set in Tunisia. But all the while I kept thinking...movies today just lack all the hard work and effort. Everything these days is all CGI. Actors these days don't even do their own stunts. Hell, are there even stuntmen anymore? Even actors are replaced by CGI in todays films. Harrison is a true icon in every aspect!
All in all...as hard as everyone worked who was involved in the making of Raiders, all that hard work went into making the best movie I have ever seen. Hands down.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Tell me you haven't read the Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark book by Derek Taylor.

Funny you mention that book. I've never read it due to the fact that I saw the VHS of it. I assumed it was pretty much the same, but is it different? I saw it on a very popular auction site, so maybe I'll pick it up!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
cropdustdair said:
Funny you mention that book. I've never read it due to the fact that I saw the VHS of it. I assumed it was pretty much the same, but is it different? I saw it on a very popular auction site, so maybe I'll pick it up!

You could say this book was a little different...

870_zps49de6c34.jpg

871a_zps585c9a31.jpg

875a_zpse9cac8e8.jpg

876_zpsbcc821ac.jpg

876a_zpsb5d7d71f.jpg