The Amazing Spider-Man 2

New Mary Jane...
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/battle-mary-janes-shailene-woodley-vs-kirsten-dunst-174742648.html

YIKES! Bad pic, Yahoo!
maryjanes-jpg_171058.jpg

Le Saboteur

Welcome back, True Believers! Sony Pictures has unleashed the teaser trailer for the second outing for Peter Parker set to debut in 2014!

Thoughts?

While I dig the Romita, Jr-influenced lenses and the suit itself, I'll probably sit this one out too. I would give the first outing a marginal thumbs up -- it didn't totally suck -- I still don't buy Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker. Nothing in this trailer does anything to correct that, but the web-slinging action looks to be... good.

And, yes, there's a thread already for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but it doesn't need to exist and we're trying out Stoo's experiment. Feel free to move this if the upkeep would like, but anything that simply slaps a numeric value on the sequel doesn't warrant an independent thread.

I'll second my own recommendation on The Spectacular Spider-Man being the best adaptation to have hit either screen, big or small. Yes, it's animated. 75% of the "live-action" movie will be animated as well.

kongisking

My thoughts:

1. Dane DeHaan? Yes, please. He was impressive in Chronicle, so he should be an excellent replacement for good ol' Franco.

2. Did I spy Doctor Octopus arms? That always gets me a touch excited...

3. I do think the web-swinging derring-do in this one looks nice.

4. Cool how Electro teleports around in combat. Though, still gonna take some getting used to how silly he looks, when he's obviously a blue, glowing Jamie Foxx...

5. Harry as the Goblin, I will abide, even maybe approve of. That's a neat shake-up of the mythos, and allows the filmmakers to delve into the tragedy of him and Peter's relationship much quicker than if it was Norman first. Then we'd have to wait even more movies to explore one of my favorite chapters of the character's colorful history.

6. Don't like the title. At all. I mean, do they intend to do this for all the sequels? What happens when they get to, uhhh, "The Amazing Spider-Man 3"? The internet will buckle under the weight of all the jokes about how Spider-Man 3 was so not amazing. :p

HenryJunior

I'm excited. The only thing I don't like is the visual tone shift from the first one. I liked the darker style of TASM, it was different than the over the top Raimi style. Now it feels like they are trying to punch up the saturation and make it look more 'comic-booky'. My only reasoning on this is Sony wants their Spiderman to match the style of The Disney/Marvel universe, and try to tap that built in audience.

Also my standing request for TASM2 is I want a reason for Spidey's costume to change. Nothing elaborate, just a "Yeah, Dr. Conners tore up my other costume pretty bad."

Electro looks fine, remember he could have looked like an electric star fish:

8964.jpg

I won't pass too much judgement for now, my only major worry is if it will suffer from too-many-villains-Spider-Man-3 Syndrome.

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
Also my standing request for TASM2 is I want a reason for Spidey's costume to change. Nothing elaborate, just a "Yeah, Dr. Conners tore up my other costume pretty bad."

8964.jpg

I won't pass too much judgement for now, my only major worry is if it will suffer from too-many-villains-Spider-Man-3 Syndrome.

Oh, Good Lord, I definitely think Electro looks better than in the comics. I just think Jamie Foxx looks kind of silly as a glow-stick man too.

As for suit change...

"Three buttons is a little Nineties, Mr. Parker."

:p

Le Saboteur

HenryJunior said:

The mask could work. It all depends on how they sold it. That said, Electro's look is uninspired; a blue-skinned dude in a hoodie? Not interesting. It barely rates a mention. Personally, I was hoping for something akin to his appearance in The Spectacular Spider-Man.

tumblr_mei6wsPOjr1qmjbn5o1_r1_500.gif

The containment suit isn't much per say, but the idea that Electro needs to contain his powers is greatly appealing. Plus, the unmasked version has echoes of the original character design.

HenryJunior said:

I still haven't seen Spider-Man 3. I have read a fair amount though, and it sounds like Toby's third outing suffered, not because it had three villains, but, because they wanted to tell three origin stories, three separate story-arcs, and wrap it all up in one two-hour flick. By having everything appear to tie into Oscorp they've eliminated at least part of the problem.

Le Saboteur

Hmm...

Fresh off the presses!

Sony Pictures Entertainment said:
CULVER CITY, Calif., December 12, 2013

In a move to forge a new legacy in the story of Peter Parker on screen, Sony Pictures Entertainment, in association with Marvel Entertainment, is developing several new projects in the Spider Man franchise, with Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard to collaborate on overseeing the developing story over several films that
will be produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, it was announced
today by Doug Belgrad, president of Columbia Pictures, and Hannah Minghella, president of Production for the studio.

The five writers, along with the two producers and Marc Webb, have formed a franchise brain trust to expand the universe for the brand and to develop a continuous tone and thread throughout the films. Under the deals, the studio announced that Kurtzman & Orci & Pinkner are writing the screenplay for The Amazing Spider Man 3, which the studio hopes Webb will return to direct; the film will go into production next fall for release on June 10, 2016.
In addition, the team will build on the cinematic foundation laid by Webb, Arad, and Tolmach in the first two movies. They will expand the franchise as Kurtzman & Orci & Solomon will write the screenplay for
Venom, which Kurtzman will direct; also, Goddard will write, with an eye to
direct, The Sinister Six, focusing on the villains in the franchise. Hannah Minghella and Rachel O?Connor will oversee the development and production of these films for the studio.

Full press release over here.

Found here.

So, a Venom standalone movie? Interesting. Chances are it'll be a Flash Thompson-esque Venom, not the fun-loving, brain eating symbiote. The Sinister Six movie is the real corker, though. A feature film featuring the villains? Not only has it not been done before, is there really an audience for it? Is some suburban housewife going to trundle off to the theatre with Dakota and Lexington in tow? To see Doc Ock & Rhino? I wish them all the available luck, but call me skeptical.

A Marvel-like approach to Spider-Man is difficult because, outside of Peter Parker, you don't have much; the extended Spider Family all have very, similar powers. Spider Woman, Spider Girl, Scarlet Spider, etc; they're all derivatives of Senor Spider. I suppose they could work in the Miles Morales version, but we like to pretend that travesty doesn't exist.

Q2wuf9g.jpg

I, for one, wouldn't mind a Black Cat feature film. But how do you distinguish her Catwoman in the general public's perception even though Felicia Hardy came first*?

*- Catwoman was created first, but Ms. Hardy's costume, professional thief occupation, and romantic foil for Spider-Man predate the Catwoman-Batman romance.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
*- Catwoman was created first, but Ms. Hardy's costume, professional thief occupation, and romantic foil for Spider-Man predate the Catwoman-Batman romance.

Not only that, but Catwoman is now associated with a popular movie that features a character played by an actor named Hardy---imagine the internet jokes that would spawn.

I love the idea of a villain-equivalent of Avengers, especially with Spidey's rogues gallery, one of the best ones in comics history. As for a Venom movie...uh, I hope they at least set him up first in the proper Spider-Man films. How much you wanna bet The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (ugh, I still can't keep a straight face typing that) will debut Venom, like the last third Spider-Man film did? Fingers crossed this time they make him a truly badass nemesis that deserves to carry a film and not make him a glorified cameo.

Le Saboteur

And then there was this...

The original game amused me for a couple of weeks, but introducing Kraven has piqued my interest. Hopefully the finished product looks a bit better on the next-gen systems, but there's potential here if they manage to improve the web swinging and beef up Spidey's combat. Just don't turn him into Batman.

Oh, and please, please bring back Josh Keaton. Bruce Campbell too.

Le Saboteur

Remember that whole Super Bowl thing? Yeah? Cool. Because there was this trailer for the second outing of The Amazing Spider-Man! With the first trailer, I was leaning towards seeing it in the theatre. Now that this one is out... well, I really don't know. I'm back towards leaning to 'no, I will see it on video again.'

I've never particularly cared for Jaime Foxx and his Electro, while the origin is accurate, gets more and more uninteresting the more I see it. It's a blue skinned dude in a hoodie! Perfect! The kids will buy that as a villain's outfit!

And if you haven't heard, Peter Parker makes his triumphant return in The Amazing Spider-Man #1! Set to bow in April, the new monthly title allegedly picks up after his time as "Superior".

spiderman12n-1-web-779ae.jpg

If you're out of continuity beware, but the full article can be found here.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
I've never particularly cared for Jaime Foxx and his Electro, while the origin is accurate, gets more and more uninteresting the more I see it. It's a blue skinned dude in a hoodie! Perfect! The kids will buy that as a villain's outfit!

Anyone else a tad discomforted at the fact this African-American villain is shown with a hood being a prominent feature of his look? After the idiotic over-reaction to Treyvon Martin's killing way back (a case that often had the people crying "racism" pointing out that the kid had a hood and this was what gave the impression he was a thug)?

HenryJunior

I'm fairly certain the Hooded Electro is very early in his career while he's trying to keep a low profile before his attack on NYC. Just because Jaime Foxx is an African American Actor wearing a hoodie doesn't make it weird. Any connection to previous scandals is circumstantial, hoodies are just cool. IMO just drop it :p.

As for the comics, I'm little a disappointed they're simply returning to "The Amazing Spider-Man". I think the return of Peter Parker should stay "Superior" to prove the series has transformed. I missed most of the recent Story Arc but I snagged the first few and thought the direction they were taking was interesting. I need to hit my local comic shop and try to do some catch up.

... a little off track so anyways back to the movie.

Still terrified of Spidey 3 syndrome at this point. I'm glad they cut out the MJ subplot a few months back (sorry Shailene Woodley) so hopefully they realize they're risking an over-bloated story.

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
Just because Jaime Foxx is an African American Actor wearing a hoodie doesn't make it weird. Any connection to previous scandals is circumstantial, hoodies are just cool. IMO just drop it :p.

Oh, it doesn't bother me. I'm worried about the over-analytical types who will be bothered by it, is all.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member

I'm not sure which characters are lined up for the sequel(s), but if they get around to the Sinister Six, Woody Allen is irreplaceable as the Chameleon. Dr. Zelig could effectively cross over to the Xavier Institute, mentoring teenagers about Freudian theories, and explaining how everyone's outsider status is an allegory for homosexual tendencies.

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
I'm not sure which characters are lined up for the sequel(s),...

I stand by my original assessment: film or no, this thread in particular doesn't need to exist. The movie is lazily titled and Fozzie couldn't even muster the energy to put together a paragraph. Since you felt obliged to move everything here though...

kongisking said:
Not only that, but Catwoman is now associated with a popular movie...

Yep, and if she appears in the movie (at all) as she does in the video game then she's even closer to Catwoman than before.

Me said:
I'll second my own recommendation on The Spectacular Spider-Man being the best adaptation to have hit either screen...

111specspideycast.jpg

And now you'll have the chance to own both seasons in one 4-disc Collector's Edition Blu-ray set! No feature or tech specs have been released yet, but it is available fro pre-order through Amazon and other fine retailers.

If you own the original DVD releases, then you might want to consider if it's worth double dipping until further details emerge. For me though, it's worth picking up. Animation has really benefited from the jump to Blu-ray.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
The movie is lazily titled and Fozzie couldn't even muster the energy to put together a paragraph.
What's there to write? These movies will keep coming to perpetuate the license, even if Sony has to cobble together an Electric Company anthology. (Narrated by Morgan Freeman with an awesome version of The Sandman, though... it might do surprisingly well.)

With these diminishing returns, there are whispers of pushing Amazingest to 2017. And that sound of steam escaping from proposed spinoffs could be a blessing in disguise, as with the Magneto movie which was shoehorned into X-Men First Class. There's no Loki sized villain here who could carry a movie. Maybe it's all the stupid Power Rangers masks and costumes. The franchise is veering home to B-movie territory and might as well throw in everything but the kitchen sink.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing beats the Sony hack for pure entertainment value. An internal complaint:
Are you aware that Men In Black 3 may gross $600M at the box office, and yet will lose money for SPE? Shouldn't we question that strategy? Why are some studios making Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight - and we are considering movies like Moneyball, Steve Jobs story, Captain Phillips Story, Evel Knievel story, etc. Are you aware that SPE only has 1 franchise - Spiderman. Yet, it took 5 years to generate a sequel? Spidey 3 was released in summer 2007, #4 in 2012. Don't harry potters come out over 2-3 years?
Have you read the SEC annual report? Disney will make $300M on Spidey merchandise this year alone. We won't!
The big question is, who controls the lucrative Spider-Man adhesives? This ponderous PowerPoint could mean stickers, or just refer to the character's famous adhesiveness. Either way it's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

ffw5n0rryliwcq7kzqqr.png

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Whenever someone throws a quarter billion dollars at the screen I'm there, eventually. And it's great. Andrew Garfield, a 29-year-old teenager, animates the costume so they don't have to find reasons to get him out of it as with Tobey Maguire. They took the single subway token from the first movie and crafted a great little mystery around Roosevelt Station. Did his dad install all those hydraulics?