Star Wars Original Trilogy

The Star Wars Box Set is superb. I've just finished watching A New Hope. It looks like it was made yesterday.

All I need now is Young Indy on DVD...

From the web: The Region 1 release is scheduled to come out at the same time as Region 4. The Region 1 release is supposed to be the same as the Australian version. Big W always releases their DVD's a day earlier than other stores. Must watch ROTJ now...

Indy Smith

Big W as in Woolworths Big W?

I work in Big W in Scotland, but I don't think we were selling it before it came out unless of course we were and I never checked. I noticed they were playing the movies on TV screens so they would have had it in stock by the Saturday. This is Region 2. From what I saw they looked superb!

I read somewhere that the Indiana Jones DVD's were the best selling box set of all time. Is that true?
Anyway, I'm guessing Star Wars will definetely take that place...

Indydan13

Sadly, you are probably right. Star Wars will undoubtedly outdo Indiana Jones. I heard that SW was sold out months before it is/was released. That blows "monkey dates".

:D

(As in ROTLA monkey who died eating a date, so people don't misunderstand me)

Return of the Jedi is certainly the worst of the trilogy. The DVD version didn't change my opinion of this; it just magnified it.

Star Wars

After watching all 5 Star Wars films on DVD, here's my grading: (i.e. most entertaining)

1. A New Hope
2. Attack of the Clones
3. The Phantom Menace
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. Return of the Jedi

All of them don't compare to Indiana Jones for entertainment. I hope Episode 3 is better...

intergamer

Chattar Lal said:
Return of the Jedi is certainly the worst of the trilogy. The DVD version didn't change my opinion of this; it just magnified it.

agreed - especially since they replaced the voice of Boba with Temeura Morrison

Raffey

Jedi is a movie that I have always felt was the lesser of the original trilogy. In fact, I think every Star Wars movie AFTER Empire focused LESS on the actual character and plot development and focus more on toy sales.

The Ewoks were the lamest thing ever!

After watching Episode IV, I think Lucas has some serious closure to do.

How does a Jedi Master like Kenobi completely forget about two droids like C3PO or R2D2 when they are so prominent in Episode I and II?

Indydan13

Uh-uh. Don't say that for Lucas might make even more changes.

I can't believe they changed Boba Fett's voice. Just because he is a clone shouldn't mean that they have to change his voice. Maybe he was injured...

Indydan13

Note: The ewoks did suck...hard.

I hope the DVD's will be semi-ok though, for I will then have the (sorta) original 6 movies that have shaped my life. Though IJ has done way more that SW will ever do.

Deadlock

Here's a great post from somebody where I work...

For my part, it was more sarcasm than outraged howling, and directed at the industry as a whole as much as Lucas in particular. The practice of releasing Special Edition after Special Edition of every other film has left me a little cynical, and Lucas's attitude toward his fans just rubbed me wrong, and I'm only a casual fan:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/20/film.qa.george.lucas.ap/index.html

Lucas can tweak as much as he wants in version after version. However, as you said, many people remember the original as a beloved part of their past. And that's the Star Wars they want to see - the one that blew them away on the big screen. Dated now perhaps, but revolutionary at the time. So why not have the originals available on DVD to capture that magic? I'm sure the millions he'd spend producing it would be made up in sales from all those pesky purists.

I just have a hard time believing that the original version won't be released eventually. (About the time those VCR tapes start wearing out?) Perhaps I'm wrong, and Lucas will stick to his guns. However, the demand is out there, and Lucas did practically invent movie merchandising. So how would he justify it? It's not his version, so it'll have to be "for the fans." The same fans he's alienating now with his dismissive comments.

Yes, Star Wars is Lucas's baby, and he's got a right to do whatever he wants with it. Fine. Just give people a choice. I rather like what New Line did with Lord of the Rings, offering the theatrical version and the extended version within a relatively short time. Yes, many fans bought both versions, making the studio et al a lot more money. However, people were told their options up front, and could choose to grab the "original" right away, or hold out a few months for the extended release. Months being the key here, not a song and dance about it being the one true version and then a few years later, finding a reason to spit out another one. You can choose whether or not to believe that Peter Jackson really felt the theatrical version was the definitive cut and the extended was more for the fans (these comments coming at the time the theatrical versions were being promoted). I was just happy to have the choice.

If New Line had only released the theatrical versions of LOTR with no hint of the extended version to come, then put out the extended edition afterwards (say this December), I'm betting they could have made more money in the long run. People who had no idea there was going to be an extended version would already have bought the originals, and the extended scenes would be hard to pass up. More would have ended up with both versions than have them now. And you'd have heard more sniping about money-grubbing studios, directors, etc. And yes, there surely will be more releases of LOTR down the line with bloopers and all that; Jackson's already discussed it. Will he and New Line make piles and piles of more money from it? Of course. But at least fans won't have had to wait for years to get their hands on what they feel is the "real" movie, after being told they should just forget it ever existed.

I've got no problem with Lucas or any other director or studio making money, as long as they don't forget the people whose money enables them to keep cranking out more "visions."

Indydan13

Wow, I may have forgiven him for changing the second most important series of movies in my life, but what he said just pissed me off. What a hypocritical jerk...

Johan

What about the Star Wars Trilogy Pacaging in itself? I picked it up and what do I see? A really cheap thin paper cardboard box, with some bad representations of the charachters pictures on the front.
The packaging in itslef does not even come close to the Indy DVD's.

I haven't picked it up yet.
You actually think it's worse than the Indy DVD packaging? My first guess would've been that they'd be the same... interesting.

EDIT: The Indy DVD's sold 600,000 copies on the release date in the U.S. Does anyone know how Star Wars did?

Last edited:

Johan

I thought it would have been the same to. But I was really just totally upauled when I picked it up and saw how cheap it felt in my hand like it would just come apart right away. I am not the biggest star wars fan but you would think it would be at least AS good as the Indy Box set.

Raffey

That's because Lucas rushed to get this DVD collection out before the Christmas season. Afterall he doesn't have anything major to retail this year and there's a lot of $$$$ for him to make.

Just wait until after the Episode III comes out on DVD. There will be the definitive six movie series collection that will come in a Jar Jar head tin and gold DVDs. :p

QueZTone

IndyJohan said:
What about the Star Wars Trilogy Pacaging in itself? I picked it up and what do I see? A really cheap thin paper cardboard box, with some bad representations of the charachters pictures on the front.
The packaging in itslef does not even come close to the Indy DVD's.

the thinness, agreed. The illustration however was the Star Wars original artwork/poster, so i dont think you can really bash that, it looks stylish.