Star Tours II

DocWhiskey

So they're getting rid of the original completely to replace it with pod racing?

Hold on...

They're changing the STAR wars ride STAR tours and replacing it with a futuristic drag racing simulator based off a mediocre prequel?

No space battles?

What the hell.

DocWhiskey said:
So they're getting rid of the original completely to replace it with pod racing? Hold on...They're changing the STAR wars ride STAR tours and replacing it with a futuristic drag racing simulator based off a mediocre prequel? No space battles? What the hell.
The least they could do is build the new attraction on top of the the old, build a second floor.

Nurhachi1991

Since the first Star Tours was the battle of Yavin IV the second Star Tours should of been the assult on the second Death Star That would of been awesome out running the flames after you blow up the main reactor (y)

Dr Bones

Not sure how they'll work out how 50 people end up in one pod racer...

Maybe the pod race is only part of the experience...?

Goonie

Same ride, different movie and in 3D. Somehow the Starspeeder 3000 ends up in the pod race - figure that one out. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if they are upgrading the hydraulics on the simulator or not.

Forbidden Eye

Goonie said:
Same ride, different movie and in 3D. Somehow the Starspeeder 3000 ends up in the pod race - figure that one out. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if they are upgrading the hydraulics on the simulator or not.

Captain Rex is still malfunctioning?

This also begs the question: Will Paul Reubens return?

Lance Quazar

There aren't really any "iconic" vehicle-based battle sequences in the prequel trilogy.

Though I think this is a lousy idea, podracing is still one of those few memorable chase/flying sequences from the PT and Tatooine is the most recognizable Star Wars location. So, I can't say I really fault them for going there.

Personally, I'd rather see more OT-related stuff (asteroids!) and an updated Death Star battle, but I know that will never happen.

Hopefully the ride will have several locations/set pieces, as the first one did - space station, comets, death star.

Maybe the Speeder starts out in the podrace, they goes into space and other stuff happens.

Would love to see Coruscant! There are several other PT possibilities.

I would be shocked if podracing was the whole damn thing.

Cole

No, Star Tours has needed a reboot. We're talking 20+ years now. It is outdated...........and for people like me who visit Disneyland pretty often, Star Tours has become very routine. When Cpt Rex asks if this is your first time too, I inevitably think "No, it's about the 1,000th." The concept of watching a video with a moving chair might have been revolutionary in 1986 or whenever..........but not today.

The inclusion of the pod race is cool by me........so long as it does not encompass the entire ride. Which it won't:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/05/star-tours-ride-getting-an-upgrade.html

This article was written in May. It confirms that Frank Oz recorded lines as Yoda for the ride.

If the details of the article are correct........it is essentially the same ride, only updated, and in 3D. The story involves characters from both trilogies, and the story revolves around being chased by Boba Fett. Admiral Ackbar will holographically communicate with the vehicle (as oppose to Cap Rex). Sounds like C-3PO and R2-D2 will still be the "hosts" in line......Anthony Daniels re-recorded dialogue.

So me, as a fan of all 6 movies.........I am pumped up about it.

Doesn't close until October 2010 though.........at least they give fans another year to experience Star Tours "I."

RedeemedChild

Well I have to admit I'm shocked. However I when I was younger back in 1999 I was very much impressed with the Pod Racing game for the Nintendo 64 and I'd love to have a shot at actually experiencing Pod Racing myself. I only hope that Pod Racing is not THE ONLY update we get.

I'd love to see some Star Tours II things based off of Star Wars The Clone Wars the television series especially with this upcoming Bounty Hunter campaign and I'd also like to see some Star Tours II rides based off of Star Wars The Force Unleashed and Star Wars The Old Republic.

However the gentlemen in the video did say "this is only a taste of what is to come." So yeah there will be MORE than Pod Racing.

Last edited:
That video rocks! Lord Vader is awesome and so are the Stormtroopers. Wow can't wait for Star tours II, i better go to Disney before the other ride is taken down.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The orange Starspeeder 1000 looks just like the 3000, which leads me to expect a minor overhaul, which would be unfortunate. The current screen is not much larger than people's LCD screens at home. If Star Tours I becomes a DVD extra no one will ever pine for the original. Do they really lack the resources to make 4 separate 5-minute features? This will get old fast.

Epcot and California Adventure have a superior simulator, Soarin'. Over boring 2D scenes like orange groves. People cheer at the end. Unless Star Tours guts the space and starts over, it won't compare.

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

I just wish they would stick to the original series not the retarded prequels

and if there showing Vader than it wont just be podracing right?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand, the ride will journey through all 6 films. It will aslo have state-of-the-art 3D technology. I also heard a rumor, and don't quote me on this, lol, that the story of this ride is... Boba Fett chasing you throughout the "journey".

-IndyFan4ever

Exulted Unicron

Speaking as a big Star Wars fan as well as an Indy fan, I absolutely disagree with what they are doing to Star Tours. I think think the original is absolutely perfect in every way. Paul Reubens was perfect as Captain Rex. The storyline fit the ride too.

If anything, I feel all they should have done is kept the ride as is, but modernised it and cleaned it up. Not gone for the whole prequel trilogy thing. I personally, am sick and tired of Lucas pushing the prequel trilogy all the time and neglecting the classic.

Morning Bell

The old ride is fun but after a couple of times it gets kind of dull. This would definitely be incentive enough for me to give it another go.(y)

dr.jones1986

Indyfan4ever said:
From what I understand, the ride will journey through all 6 films. It will aslo have state-of-the-art 3D technology. I also heard a rumor, and don't quote me on this, lol, that the story of this ride is... Boba Fett chasing you throughout the "journey".

-IndyFan4ever

I hope that Boba Fett story is true, that would be EPIC!!!!

I loved the original and have been on it several times, but it has got tired and needs an over haul.

DaFedora

Grand Opening

The Star Tours II Opening Ceremony (3 June 2011 in Orlando, Florida) looked really really fun and memorable !! For those of you who need to be kept in the loop, I put up some videos and links to pics and stories floating around.

A long video (you can find more yourselves of course) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUlwM0QH5go

Nice pictures of the Opening Ceremony at a reference Star Tours II fanblogs:

http://www.endorexpress.net/2011/06/star-tours-grand-opening-ceremony/
http://startours2.blogspot.com/

The new merchandise line (launch collection): http://www.endorexpress.net/2011/06/star-tours-launch-collection/#more-6303

For the soundtrack afficionados (like me!!!) : scoring and recording the new Star Tours audio track video with Composer Michael Giacchino (known from 'Lost', 'The Incredibles', 'Mission Impossible III' and more): :whip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv1M5Hd0Ito&feature=player_embedded

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's great. The only drawback is it makes Captain EO (playing around the corner on 70mm 3D film, preceded by footage of Lucas imagineering it) look horrendous. They speak of 54 different experiences, but there are really 3: Vader or probe droid in the hangar, Hoth or Tatooine or Kashyyyk, and finally Coruscant or Naboo or Death Star. The plot is here. It's a prequel to Star Tours I. No Paul Reubens in the cockpit, and Patrick Warburton in line.