Seoul

AlivePoet

I'm heading to Seoul, South Korea later this week to teach ESL for a year. Is anyone else going to/currently teach(ing) overseas? Or has anyone been to Seoul who knows of some things I might look out for? I've got a fairly comprehensive list of to-see locations, but I thought some folks might know of less initially touristy things to make a first break into the culture.

AlivePoet

So I'm in Korea now and I have to say that I feel almost as much like a celebrity as I do a foreigner here. Almost everyone I have interacted with has treated me with respect and kindness, and they love it when I attempt to speak their language. I am teaching English here, and the children are a joy to work with. And the girls are tres belle, one might say (or notice). It's been great so far, save for the fact that I have lost my way several times since I can't read most of the Korean signs, and have had difficulty explaining my destination to cab drivers (which put a severe dent in my wallet yesterday).

Has anyone else been to Korea, or is anyone here now? I would enjoy hearing some experiences!

Peru1936

I live to the northwest of Seoul. I've been based out of Korea for nearly a decade. Korea is a wonderful place if one takes the time to really appreciate its uniqueness. Getting out of Seoul is imperative. Make sure you visit the smaller rural areas, and particularly the mountains. I spend lots of time in the deeper, lesser explored mountainous regions. It's well worth the time. Korea is also a great jumping board for all the other countries in the region. I noticed in the other thread that you're going to Japan later - definitely a must. Mongolia and China are just across the pond. I have spent lots of time travelling throughout the Himalaya (Nepal. Go there.) and it's great that a flight from Seoul to Kathmandu is not only all that far away (about eight hours total flying time) but relatively cheap.

Enjoy, tread lightly, and maybe we'll hook up sometime. :hat: