Anyone been on or thought of going on their own Indy adventure?

Burwolf

I went to Petra 2 weeks ago, and just had to take a pic of the Treasury with me wearing a fedora. Loved every minute of it, even tho I got burned ...:hat:

bonoferox

I was in Shanghai and at the Great Wall last July wearing my Indiana Jones satchel I got from the Disney outpost. That's probably the closest I've come. I do have a trip for Petra planned in a few years, though. Did you get to ride a horse there, Burwolf?

Burwolf

Unfortunately no, it was a choice of a donkey or camel. I opted for the donkey. So for the pic on my facebook, I have: 'An Ass, riding an Ass.' HA! :p

I've explored the ruins of a Roman fortress on the top of a mountain very close to my city a month ago. When the weather will be better I'll visit it again;)
Here's a pic, I hope you like it:whip:

Last edited:

Horchata

intergamer said:
I've thought about it a lot. I could have gone on an archaeological dig in Peru this winter or next summer but decided against it because I have a number of other things I need to do. I might be building a rope bridge with a prof and some people pretty soon. And I explore the corridors and roofs of my school sometimes. At the moment, though, I'm learning fencing and glassblowing.

Sounds like some mild Indiana jones adventures!

Agent Crab

Pretty much so.

I have been to an Arizona desert area. Tombstone that is. I wouldn't mind goin' on other adventures myself.

whipem

If I can keep up my grades, I'll be spending a little more than a semester in Beijing next year. Any ideas of what I should do in my spare time? Things Indy would do, of course!

NLogan

When I was a kid I traveled to several ghost towns around the wild west.
I have gone spelunking in several caves.
I have been to several sites that have Native American ruins and pictographs and petroglyphs. I have seen Fremont and Anasazi pueblos.
I have hunted bison while dressed as a fur trapper with Shoshone Indian guides.
I have been to several rain forests in Brazil and saw the Aparados da Serra which is a huge canyon with several waterfalls (imagine the Grand Canyon slightly smaller and covered in rain forest).
I have found ten or more waterfalls on my own while chopping through the jungle with a machete.
I have been to the ruins (Sao Miguel das Missoes) seen in the Robert DeNiro film The Mission, built by Jesuits and Guarani Indians near the border of Argentina and Brazil.
I have been near the Iguaçu Falls as seen in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
I have hiked to the top of a volcano.
I have been to several deserts.
I have explored a tunnel system underneath a university.
I have been to several dinosaur excavation sites.
I have done a lot of researching in libraries.
I have collected a huge bow and arrow, and feather crown made from blue and yellow macaw and scarlet macaw feathers from Amazonian Indian tribes. I also have other artifacts from the Zorós, Xavantes, and Karapanã Amazonian Tribes.
I have found a Buddhist temple on top of an isolated mountain.
I have researched local folklore and legends and written a paper on it.
I have been to Arches and seen Balanced Rock and the Double O arch in the Devil's Garden as seen on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
When I was a kid I created my own Idol and Treasure map for my back yard.

LostArk

I'm planning on going on a trip through Europe (Italy, France, Greece), Asia (China, Tunisia) and Africa (Egypt) in 3 years when school is over. A teacher from school who's traveled around the world told me about camel-riding in Egypt and how nice Italy is :)

indytim

The most 'Indy' I've ever felt is when I visited Egypt a few years ago. I traveled to the pyramids just outside of Cairo and ventured inside The Great Pyramid of Giza itself. I shuffled into the middle of that thing down a tiny access shaft packed full of other tourists and then the girl in front of me decided to have a full blown panic attack! Anyway, once I'd pushed her out of the way ;) I ventured onto a small empty chamber with nothing at all inside. If I was in charge I would have least employed a jobbing actor to dress up as a Mummy and chase the feckless tourists around for some amusing hijinks! It is indeed a wonder of the World though.

I also visited the Cairo museum and walking into the main hall I literally had my breath taken away. It was like walking into the middle of Indy's biggest ever find!

I also once visited Cyprus and when there checked out the Salamis Ruins. I got there an hour before closing at sunset and to be honest it was really spooky walking around as the sky turned twilight. Yikes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lal_RZS5_o

I've also been fortunate enough to travel around most of Western Europe, and of all the countries visited I think Italy has the most 'Indy worthy' locations!

I shall be traversing through Tunisia next year. I hope to soak up as much of the local customs and culture as possible as I plan on writing a thesis on Tunisian arts and crafts.

Maybe I could ask directions to find some of the Raiders locations!:D

LostArk

indytim, I hope I can do the same in a couple of years :)
It'd be awesome to visit the same canyon where Indy threatened to blow up the Ark.

Raider S

I've had real adventures in a couple war zones and can say while it's certainly a rush, it's also horrible.

Worst, and most improbable, was an honest to god car chase with guys with guns followed by a night in jail. Never dreamed that would ever happen but it did; it was crazy, it was awful, it was oddly fantastic, and it's not something I wish to repeat.

But it's all part of what I do for work (being in crappy places) and there's always the possibilty of very bad days. I do my best to not do anything too dumb. People die or are forever injured much easier in real life than in the movies. But the folks I meet in these situations make it worthwhile and humbling.

Raider S

Also need to add I've been horribly sick several times and that ain't no fun at all. When in the third world and places of unrest, bring LOTS of pills! Cipro, baby!

whipem

Raider S said:
I've had real adventures in a couple war zones and can say while it's certainly a rush, it's also horrible.

Worst, and most improbable, was an honest to god car chase with guys with guns followed by a night in jail. Never dreamed that would ever happen but it did; it was crazy, it was awful, it was oddly fantastic, and it's not something I wish to repeat.

But it's all part of what I do for work (being in crappy places) and there's always the possibilty of very bad days. I do my best to not do anything too dumb. People die or are forever injured much easier in real life than in the movies. But the folks I meet in these situations make it worthwhile and humbling.

Where have you traveled, if you don't mind me asking?

Raider S

Not at all. Muddled East extensively and Central America and Far East Europe. No, not in the military either; when I'm in places I'm most always alone which allows me to be with people. It also means I'm on my own. ;) All I can say though is don't wish to be in a very bad place or bad situation because your wish may come true and the reality isn't so nice.

Indy related story: In spring 2003 when the war in Iraq had just begun I was passing through Jordan and decided I'd blow a day or two and detour through Wadi Musa and see Petra. Not a fan of Last Crusade really, so Indy wasn't on my mind and only a bit of an amusing detail when I got there. Because of the war (and everything else going on in the region) there were zero tourists. In fact, they'd lowered the admission price for Petra to less than half, I believe, because nobody was going. Actually it was a fantastic time (for me, not the people who make a living there) because I had the entire place to myself. Maybe 10 or 15 other people in the entire site and nearly all the concessions were shut down. I felt like a freakin' explorer seeing things for the first time in centuries!

People who've been there know the Treasury is the first thing you see after the long walk through the Siq then the rest of the site is off to the right and downhill a bit. As I was walking along I came across a group of Bedouin, who act as sort of park rangers, and this blonde haired anglo kid who looked in his 20's. Under the kids breath I heard him comment about me being "Indiana Jones." He was making fun of me and trying to be cool for his "local" pals! Didn't bother to go up and smack him but I wanted to. Funny part is I wasn't wearing a fedora, no leather jacket, nothing like that. I probably had on khaki pants and a t-shirt. I did have a small rucksack with some gear I didn't want to leave in a room in town, but nothing Indy-like at all! Jerk. :gun:

I?ve since been to Petra fairly recently and tourism had picked up nicely. I prefer going a bit further south though to Wadi Rum, where Lawrence of Arabia was filmed, and spending time in the desert there.

If anyone is thinking of going to Jordan definitely go! Some of the friendliest people on the planet and, in my opinion, while Petra is a must see, Wadi Rum is spectacular and a bit more ?wild?. For very little money you can hire a Bedouin guide, camels, and head out into the sand and spend a few nights or a week. It?s so beautiful and the sand is the color of Mars.

As I write this I have some stones collected in Petra on my desk. They have purple, yellow, and red running through them. Look like miniatures of the cliffs there. Please, go to Jordan and have a great adventure!