Volume Three, The Years of Change

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
So... here it is, April 28th, one day before this final volume hits store shelves. Who's picking it up tomorrow?
In 2 weeks time, it'll be in my hands (as I have to wait until I get back to Canada.)
Obviously, I have all my originals to watch but, dang, am I ever "jonesing" to see the
complete Princeton 1919 episode! I also hope there'll be a decent documentary on the
French Foreign Legion.

Crack that whip

Two weeks after the 29th? - so, if you also get the new 2-disc DVDs of the movies, you'll be able to pick all these DVDS up the same day. Nice...

I have a number of my own original homemade tapes of the broadcasts, but it's actually been a while since I looked at them, and I don't know how well any of them play any more (to say nothing of how I long ago got used to laserdisc and then DVD, and so would probably now find VHS pretty abhorrent even under the best of conditions). I also don't have all the ones that aired - there were one or two episodes I didn't get for one reason or another, and I also mailed my copy of the pilot to a friend in a foreign land so she could see it. I naturally assumed I'd be able to buy a better commercial copy someday anyway. Silly me, I know... Not to mention not all the episodes aired in the US anyway, of course (aside from ABC's reshufflings and whatnot and ultimate cancellation before airing the whole thing, I remember one episode getting preempted by one of Ross Perot's prime-time campaign infomercials for the '92 US presidential election. Ross, if you ever had a chance of getting my vote, you lost it right at that moment... :p ;) ).

But yeah, I do still have tapes of most of the episodes. I'll need to put them in the VCR soon and check them out, first just to see if they're watchable at all, and ultimately to refamiliarize myself with the original versions of the episodes.

davros72

My wife and I are also doing the "marathon" from Volume 1 thru Last Crusade. We started about 2 weeks ago, and we've only just finished with the documentaries for "Love's Sweet Song." (The docs are surprisingly entertaining for the most part, some less so than others but that's to be expected.) My wife is out of town this upcoming weekend so we're temporarily on pause. The Corey Carrier chapters got a tad dull, storytelling-wise, but that can't be helped when your main character can't really carry the lead role in a story. The SPF ones are a lot easier to get into, as his Indy gets right into things.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing KOTCS out of sequence, but I have no problem with that. :)

CKwriter

Wait, this volume isn't supposed to be out until tomorrow?

But I've seen it here (UK) for sale in two different stores today. Very nearly bought it but waiting until payday.

CK

Junior Jones

It seems a lot of us are watching them in order. I'm halfway through volume 2, and I'm hoping to be finished through Last Crusade by May 22. It's going to be tight, because of real life.

In a way, it's good. People are complaining that the days are dragging and it feels like 5/22 will never get here. As for me, the time is flying by and 5/22 will be here before I'm ready for it.

NoCamels

I will be braving traffic right at 5:00 tomorrow to go get it. Unless of course I have to run some work-related errands in that general direction during the day...then I'll get to stare at the box sitting on my desk all afternoon!

Since I've only seen one episode in this set, I'm watching these first before I start my Indy-marathon. I think I can still cram it all in... if I watch nothing else...maybe... :)

Flannery10

I will certainy pick up the DVD box sometime this week. Since I lived in Germany and was too young, when the first episodes aired, I don't have any of the originals. True, I bought probably 10 to 12 episodes from ebay, but sold them, because I thought that they would be made available on DVD someday (of course, they weren't) and now I have no chance to watch the originals and even though, Stoo has been uploading a bunch of bookends, there are still the other cuts and the re-dubbings.

I haven't seen to many of the episodes of this box though. Peacock's Eye, Mystery of the Blues and Hollywood Follies are the only ones and I really look forward to finally get the box.

By the way, on May1st I'm gonna celebrate the 100 year Indiana Jones Adventure anniversary. Curse of the Jackal Part 1, his first adventure, took place in May 1908.

tupogirl

I ogled the display at Target with the picture on it, lol.

I still don't have volume one, just volume two. I'll get it, at some point.

I too have a bunch of rough VHS versions of a lot of the episodes (trades) but they were near impossible to watch. I have been enjoying watching it on the History Channel though.

Adamwankenobi

I'll probably get the set in a couple days. I'm pretty low on cash at the momet. ;)

Flannery10 said:
By the way, on May1st I'm gonna celebrate the 100 year Indiana Jones Adventure anniversary. Curse of the Jackal Part 1, his first adventure, took place in May 1908.

HAHA! That's awesome! You think he'd still be adventuring (much less alive :dead: ) in 2008 though? ;) :p

tupogirl said:
I ogled the display at Target with the picture on it, lol.

Your local Target store has a display? Can you describe it?

tupogirl

Your local Target store has a display? Can you describe it?

Not a display per se, but for each volume, they've had a picture of it on the Upcoming Features sign. It has maybe 5 DVD's that are coming out and what the date is. It's over where the new ones are put out. It's just the photo of the box. And I've nearly snuck pictures of them, but I know people weren't allowed to take pictures in the grocery store I worked in. I'm a little paranoid sometimes!

I am ticked off that the Target stores don't seem to be carrying Volume One anymore.

Crack that whip

I got mine at Best Buy. It's probably one of the more expensive places to buy them locally (at least without going to a mall store and thus paying vastly more still), but I wanted to inspect my copies in person before buying to make sure the packaging was in reasonably decent condition, and Best Buy was the only place that even had them both when I was finally ready to buy the first two volumes, much less that had them both without too many defects in the boxes. I probably shouldn't be so fussy (especially since I still couldn't find absolutely perfect ones, but oh well).

Believe it or not, some of the more reasonable prices I've seen for the sets are those at IndianaJonesShop.com - they've got them for $75.99 per volume. If one had ordered them on the shop's April 1 launch day when the 10% discount was in effect, I think one might have gotten a better deal on them there than one could just about anywhere else - they'd have been $68.40 or so each (before shipping, of course, but still). I would've gone that way if not for wanting to check the packages in person.

Blumburtt

Already picked my copy up- new releases are on a monday in the UK - so for once we get something (slightly) earlier than in the states!
Off to watch it now. :whip:

Ltdefense

DEFINATLY picking these up tommorow! It'll be my first time seeing them. I'm most excited about Mask of Evil, Peacocks Eye, and Mystery of the Blues.

I've been tracking down the books to tide me over. I've read all of them now except for Genesis Deluge, Unicorn Legacy, Interior World, Sky Pirates, and White Witch.

Flannery10

Ltdefense said:
DEFINATLY picking these up tommorow! It'll be my first time seeing them. I'm most excited about Mask of Evil, Peacocks Eye, and Mystery of the Blues.

I've been tracking down the books to tide me over. I've read all of them now except for Genesis Deluge, Unicorn Legacy, Interior World, Sky Pirates, and White Witch.

Definetly some great episodes on there. Hollywood Follies is the one I'm least looking forward to. As for MoE, TotPE and MotB, those are certainly the highlights of the box. I'm looking forward to see Scandal of 1920 again.:D. I haven't seen Tales of Innocence or Winds of Change, but they ought to be quite good, too, especially Winds of Change.

Then you've read the best ones already. As for Genesis Deluge, probably the best of the 5 you mentioned, so make that a priority. Besides, it would be better if you'd actually read them in the order you listed them. You'll see why, then.

Avilos

I have been surprised by all the negative opinions on Hollywood Follies. Maybe its because I am a big movie buff and love the history of Hollywood but I like this one a lot.

TalonCard

Flannery10 said:

Ah! Awesome idea. :cool: It's a shame these sets are so expensive...I'm gonna save up and hope I can buy them with my WDW Holiday discount later this year. 'Til then I just have to catch them on the History Channel as they air (thank you DVR!) I'm hoping they'll show some of the ones I haven't already seen before the 22nd. I'd really like to see Winds of Change the most, but I think I may try and find time to watch Scandal of 1920 when it's on again this week. I loved that one!

TC

tupogirl

TalonCard said:
Ah! Awesome idea. :cool: It's a shame these sets are so expensive...I'm gonna save up and hope I can buy them with my WDW Holiday discount later this year. 'Til then I just have to catch them on the History Channel as they air (thank you DVR!) I'm hoping they'll show some of the ones I haven't already seen before the 22nd. I'd really like to see Winds of Change the most, but I think I may try and find time to watch Scandal of 1920 when it's on again this week. I loved that one!

TC

They aired Winds of Change not too long ago. It's still in my DVR, and I'm slowly getting through it. I love Indy in the rocket lab!

metalinvader

tupogirl said:
They aired Winds of Change not too long ago. It's still in my DVR, and I'm slowly getting through it. I love Indy in the rocket lab!

That's a good one.The dinner scene between father and son is really emotional and plays off well with the chat they have in the zeppelin in LC.

tupogirl

metalinvader said:
That's a good one.The dinner scene between father and son is really emotional and plays off well with the chat they have in the zeppelin in LC.

Yes. That's partly why it's taking me awhile to really get through it. Hit a little bit too close to home for me!

phantom train

It's great that YIJC Volume 3 DVD set is coming out today - I've been waiting for this since it was first officially announced in late December/early January. I haven't seen these any of these tele-films for 10+ years. I'm especially looking forward to "Treasure of the Peacock's eye", "Mystery of the Blues", and "Scandal of 1920". The Vlad/Dracula episode will be great, since I never saw it before (it was never broadcast on U.S. TV, as far as I know).