Blu-ray vs HD DVD

The Man

Crusade>Raiders said:
I just want to back up The Man on this one. Blu-Ray = awesomesauce

It really is. Especially with older films you've seen countless time but only now can pick up visual details lost on lower formats.

Agent Z

Crusade>Raiders said:
Blu-Ray = awesomesauce

Well, it has potential to be, but overpriced hardware/software, poor quality control, and bugs galore have plagued it.

Some of the releases are too aggressive with DNR, killing natural film grain, and delivering freakishly clean transfers that are at odds with film purists. This is not the norm, but it must be noted as the problem it can be.

HD-DVD, despite being put out pasture, was the more stable, cost-effective, and customer-friendly of the two formats. By far.

I hope, and trust, that Sony and partnering companies will get their act together and at least make Blu-Ray a true force in the game.

Last edited:

The Man

Agent Z said:
No thanks. I took the Red pill last year and only paid $20 for it.

Great transfers though. Shame about the sequels.....

I don't fancy paying anything for Revolutions...

Agent Z

The Man said:
I don't fancy paying anything for Revolutions...

Boxset clause: Buy one, get all. Like family, you can't pick and choose. Lord knows you can't.

Trinity in high definition soothes most wounds though....

The Man

Agent Z said:
Boxset clause: Buy one, get all. Like family, you can't pick and choose. Lord knows you can't.

Trinity in high definition soothes most wounds though....

You can buy them individually on HD-DVD?

Agent Z

The Man said:
You can buy them individually on HD-DVD?

I know that at one point they had individual releases for the original and Reloaded on HD-DVD, but I'm not sure about Revulsions.

In my case, I lucked into a price for a boxset that was cheaper than any of the individual discs.

Amazon page

The Man

Agent Z said:
I know that at one point they had individual releases for the original and Reloaded on HD-DVD, but I'm not sure about Revulsions.

In my case, I lucked into a price for a boxset that was cheaper than any of the individual discs.

Amazon page

I don't think I'll buy the boxset. Reloaded has its moments - and dear Monica - but Repulsions? I'd never watch it.

Coronado

I still haven't got Blu-Ray and in three weeks I'm off to university in America for two years, so it looks like I won't for quite some time!

I'll just have to endure with DVD (and films that fall of the back of the internet). :p

-Coronado

The Man

Termitator 2 just arrived in the post. Yea!!! I'll report tomorrow on the overall experience and how Mr. Mercury holds up on Blu-Ray...

The Man

Razor-sharp, indeed...

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/...ion-Limited-Petrol-Can-Packaging/Product.html

6107048x.jpg

No Ticket

Blu-Ray seems neat and all... but I look at my collection of 150 DVDs or so and I cry at the notion of re-buying them all on Blu-Ray. It took me years to get all of them on DVD and it feels like DVD has only been around for about 10 years. I personally do not own an HD-TV yet so I wouldn't get the best possible experience anyway.

I kind of feel like the "high-def" era we are in is a little over hyped. I've played video games on high-def televisions and all that, but I wasn't blown away or anything to the point that I'd want to go buy an expensive television, an expensive blu-ray player and then replace my DVD collection with a new format.

It just feels too soon to me. Although, I plan on getting a PS3 and I have to admit I really want to own TDK on Blu-Ray.

The Man

As for T2: The Director's Cut, the title says it all: everything is in here (the vast majority of adding scenes woven into the first half), bulking out the running-time to 153 minutes. Visually, it holds up exceptionally. The CG has either aged or still stuns, depending on your viewpoint - the hi-def format will do nothing to change your mind.

Overall, indispensible for those who've always loved this movie.