Any new comics news?

indyclone25

that will be all this year , i remember reading somewhere that if dark horse does any more comics it will be maybe one story a year so we may not see one start until maybe june of next year?

Dewy9

It's too bad they didn't decide to do one for the Staff of Kings. No need to beat a dead horse, but I think it could have used one, especially since the book got axed.

I would love to see them adapt the games.

We have fate of Atlantis. Why not Emperor's Tomb and Infernal Machine, and now Staff of Kings???

kongisking

The now-deceased Official Magazine (sob!) had an interview with Tomb of the Gods's writer, who said that he had an idea for another comic series which, he says, "fans would really love" and that it depends on Gods's sales whether or not he'll be given the A-OK to develop this idea. We can only sit and hope now, folks...

bennihana123

kongisking said:
The now-deceased Official Magazine (sob!) had an interview with Tomb of the Gods's writer, who said that he had an idea for another comic series which, he says, "fans would really love" and that it depends on Gods's sales whether or not he'll be given the A-OK to develop this idea. We can only sit and hope now, folks...
Everyone had better buy the TPB :whip:

indyclone25

picked up my copy of the trade paperback today at my local comic shop --- i was hoping for a different cover , but alas it was the final cover from issue four, i had the four individual books but still bought the tpb anyways , indy fandom at its best ?

bennihana123

indyclone25 said:
picked up my copy of the trade paperback today at my local comic shop --- i was hoping for a different cover , but alas it was the final cover from issue four, i had the four individual books but still bought the tpb anyways , indy fandom at its best ?
Woah, I didn't know it was out already! I'm off to the comic shop :whip:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm hoping to get the TPB for my 21st as I'm really not bothered spending $20 just to get to the city via the train (that and I haven't really had the time).

I guess I'm motivated to get the TPB as I didn't get a chance to get the final issue of the story arc.

Jono11

I am SO glad Dynamite doesn't have the license. Yeah, they put out a lot of product, but most of it's subpar (Project Superpowers says it all, really), and they're a bunch of scumbags.

Dark Horse can always be counted on for the absolute best product in the business.

Lance Quazar

kongisking said:

Another comic by the TotG writer? Yipes! Run for the hills!

DIrishB

Jono11 said:
I am SO glad Dynamite doesn't have the license. Yeah, they put out a lot of product, but most of it's subpar (Project Superpowers says it all, really), and they're a bunch of scumbags.

Don't you think you're being unneccessarily harsh? "Bunch of scumbags"? Wow...did Dynamite Entertainment sleep with your girlfriend or something?

Honestly, while the Army of Darkness comics suck, I've enjoyed Dynamite's Battlestar Galactica, Lone Ranger, and The Boys series. All are usually excellent, both in terms of writing and artwork.

Dynamite is one of the only comic companies who actually do a decent job with licensed material...Dark Horse is of course pretty much the only other.

Dark Horse can always be counted on for the absolute best product in the business.

I agree. But I disagree about Dynamite being scumbags...again, they're one of the few new successful comic companies to appear in the past decade, and the majority of their product is decent or better. Army of Darkness sucks hard, though.

Jono11

DIrishB said:
Don't you think you're being unneccessarily harsh? "Bunch of scumbags"? Wow...did Dynamite Entertainment sleep with your girlfriend or something?
I'm referring to some VERY underhanded tactics they used to basically try and muscle the Phantom license away from Moonstone, a much smaller, but very high-quality, publishing house. They basically just went to the licensor, King Features, promised better sales due to a larger organization and better promotions and marketing, and said, "take the license away from Moonstone and give it to us." And King was all set to just up and do that, but Moonstone went on a PR offensive and was able to preserve a "co-license," which Dynamite then refused to accept, and just said, "Screw you, we'll get the license when it expires." They manipulated the entire thing to make it look like Moonstone were the bastards of the situation, and largely got away with that. And they'll get their license in two or three years. They're just very underhanded. My understanding, from a lot of people connected with the industry, is that they basically got to where they are by dealing the way the Big Two deal. It's unfortunate that people have to basically be scumbags to be successful in a basically unregulated capitalist economy, but I guess that's the way it is.

DIrishB

Jono11 said:
I'm referring to some VERY underhanded tactics they used to basically try and muscle the Phantom license away from Moonstone, a much smaller, but very high-quality, publishing house. They basically just went to the licensor, King Features, promised better sales due to a larger organization and better promotions and marketing, and said, "take the license away from Moonstone and give it to us." And King was all set to just up and do that, but Moonstone went on a PR offensive and was able to preserve a "co-license," which Dynamite then refused to accept, and just said, "Screw you, we'll get the license when it expires." They manipulated the entire thing to make it look like Moonstone were the bastards of the situation, and largely got away with that. And they'll get their license in two or three years. They're just very underhanded. My understanding, from a lot of people connected with the industry, is that they basically got to where they are by dealing the way the Big Two deal. It's unfortunate that people have to basically be scumbags to be successful in a basically unregulated capitalist economy, but I guess that's the way it is.

It does indeed suck and reeks of scumminess, but at the same time, its just business. Shady dealings and being less than honest are unfortunately a part of business, and always have been. Can't fault them for trying to do something which will make their company money, even if it costs another that same money. Business is competitive, and while it would be nice to be honorable and do the right thing all the time, well, that isn't going to make you money. Your statement says it all:

My understanding, from a lot of people connected with the industry, is that they basically got to where they are by dealing the way the Big Two deal.

Maybe the Big Two are the Big Two entirely because they deal underhandedly.

Just remember, its a world of varying shades of gray, not black and white, and everyone is guilty of something. I'm sure at some point the good folks over at Moonstone might've done something less than reputable or out-right even scummy themselves...its almost a requirement at some point to stay in business.

Indy's Fist

So does Dark Hores suck too? I mean other than a short time in the mid 90's they had a good run with Indy but now it sounds like we're gonna get shafted again.

Jack Panix

I posted this on another forum, but I thought you guys might enjoy it. We scan old comic book advertisements and upload them for the warm fuzzy feelings of nostalgia they bring:

This is a cute one for Post Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles. I’m not sure if the cereals are still around or whether Barney Rubble is still trying to get his hands on Fred Flintstone’s Fruity Pebbles in those ubiquitous TV commercials that used to air on Saturday mornings. I think this ad was adapted from one of the TV spots; I remember seeing this Indiana Jones spoof regularly on TV and in print. From Chuck Norris (and the Karate Commandos) #1, January 1987 (Star Comics), here is “Raiders of the Fruity Pebbles.”