Dave Stevens (The Rocketeer) RIP

inky_skin

Cliff Secord and Indy were practically contemporaries. I've always thought about them enjoying a drink in the same fictional Adventurers Club - propping the bar up along with Sky Captain and Doc Savage. A 1930's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" if you will...

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
I was very sad to hear of Dave Stevens passing at the very young age of 53 of Leukemia. His artwork style was truly one of a kind, and not only did he bring the high-flying adventures of the Rocketeer to life in the pages of comic books, and eventually the silver screen, but played a hand in the origins of Indiana Jones. Mr. Stevens, was one of the early storyboard artist on "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and some of his illustrations can be found in the book "Raiders: The Illustrate Screenplay" published in 1981. He also illustrated one of Harrison Ford's other famous character, Han Solo, in some of the Star Wars newspaper comic strips working alongside the legendary Russ Manning.

Mr. Stevens artwork style was simply amazing, a meticulous artist, he labored for hours, days, weeks even moths to produce some of the most gorgeous pieces of art ever seen in the comic book industry. His creation of "Th Rocketeer" in 1982, came at a time when a return to the old fashioned, serial style adventure was coming back in style, due largely to a small film that came out in 1981, who's lead character carried a bullwhip. Cliff Secord, the barnstorming pilot, as Fate would have it, would become the jet-pack fueled adventurer protected the USA from evil doers in his own heroic way. Coming across ape-like goons and gun-totting gangsters, all the while saving his "Bettie Page" lookalike girlfriend, the Rocketter was not a comic book to miss when it hit the news stands.

After the "Last Crusade" headed off into the sunset, action film fans wondered if we would ever see the Saturday matinee style fun again on the big screen. In 1991, their wishes were answered when Stevens' "Rocketeer" hit the big screen, directed by long time Lucasfilm special effect artist, Joe Johnston. Like Indy, the Rocketeer, terrifically played by Bill Campbell, who with the fiery Jennifer Connelly, saved us from the Nazis determined to take over the world with "flying" armies of evil. The film was, (and still is, do yourself a favor and go rent or buy the DVD, if you haven't seen it), a great entry into the old fashioned action adventure that Indy fans know all to well.

On behalf of myself, and the folks at TheRaider.net, we pass along our condolences to Mr. Stevens' family and friends, and sincerely thank him for the entertainment he brought use with his talent and imagination.

I am sure Dave Stevens is somewhere soaring to high adventure as I write this!

You can read more about Dave Stevens, his life and his career and see examples of his great art at http://www.davestevens.com/

Posted with regret and sadness by Mitchell Hallock