Fat Actress

Rick5150

That's it. I am about ready to stop watching television. Kirsty Alley actually has a television show which is called, aptly enough, "Fat Actress." So much for PC. ;) Ms. Alley was very good looking at one point and it is a shame to see what she did to herself and a bigger shame to see that Hollywood is exposing me to this. No wonder they invented the wide-screen TV. I need to find out when that show is on so I can schedule a dentist appointment.

barf.gif

Read about obesity here

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah.. I heard about that?
Sounds weird indeed.
My opinion; If she likes to make a show about (her) being fat? she should go ahead and do so.
Nobody's forcing me to watch. <small>luckily?</small> ;)
But I'm curious if that show would become a success, though.

Rick5150

My opinion; If she likes to make a show about (her) being fat? she should go ahead and do so.

My problem with shows of this nature is that athletes are chastized constantly for not setting a good example as they are in the public eye. Do not advocate drinking, drugs or sex because you are a role model to our children.

Why is it different for an actress (or actor) to get out there and give the "love me for who I am, not how I look" speech and say they are proud to be fat. There is nothing horrible about overweight people, but it is obese people who are heavy because they can't put the fork down that frosts my shorts. It is the lack of self esteem and the willingness to let someones body go due to laziness that gets me mad. Please understand, I am not talking about heavy people or people with legitimate medical problems here.

A little fat is fine, but when you are overlapping your chair all around it is time to put the Twinkie down and go take a walk.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
lol :)

Yeah, you're right.
If you really want to lose weight ? unless it's impossible due to medical problems - (or stop smoking or whatever..) you can do it.
It just takes an amount of will power.
I know that's easier said then done, but nobody said life was easy.
And if a person isn't prepared to fight that battle with themselves and keep fighting that battle; it's their own fault, basically.
But it doesn't make me mad at all.
It's their own life and if they like to live it that way; go ahead.
What pisses me off is when they visit talk shows and complain about it.

Rick5150 said:
Why is it different for an actress (or actor) to get out there and give the "love me for who I am, not how I look" speech and say they are proud to be fat.

I don't know?
There's nothing wrong with that speech? but 'proud to be fat'; that's wrong.
I don't know how exactly they're going to handle the topic 'fatness' in this show.. But compared to all those (far) too slim models and actresses with the so called 'perfect figure'.. I think a lot more people are being influenced by those people ? and getting into diet/ weight problems 'cause of that ? then they will by watching a TV show about one 'fat actress'.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Some poeple are obese and can't do much about it, it's in their genes, it's an illness. I personnaly am closer to being underweight then overweight. I've tried many times to gain a few pounds and no matter how much I eat, even if I do nothing all day, I will not pick up a single pound. it's the way my body works. I assume it's the same the other way around.

For these people, it is important that they accept their body, and these shows might help.

Now it is true that this illness is in much greater proportions in the US then anywhere else. It simply comes from the eating habbits. Not eating in between the three meals a day (four if you include the afternoon snack) and keeping meals balanced is a good start.

Rick5150

Some poeple are obese and can't do much about it, it's in their genes, it's an illness.

You are right and they have an excuse and a serious condition as well as my sincere sympathy. Kirsty Alley came right out and said, "I know I'm a fatso, I eat too much." This should not be glorified any more than a show about someone who is drunk all the time because he drinks too much should be.

I personnaly am closer to being underweight then overweight. I've tried many times to gain a few pounds and no matter how much I eat, even if I do nothing all day, I will not pick up a single pound. it's the way my body works. I assume it's the same the other way around.
You are one of the lucky ones. Don't worry, it will catch up with you in the end ;) One day wou will wake up and have thirty years worth of cellulite on your body and you will say, "what happened?!"

For these people, it is important that they accept their body, and these shows might help.
I agree. For the folks who cannot control obesity due to a medical problem, sluggish thyroid, whatever - sure. They have a right to feel good about themselves as they are not a victim of obesity due to laziness and sloth. Kirsty Alley is not a victim of a slow metabolism, she is the victim of a fast fork.

Now it is true that this illness is in much greater proportions in the US then anywhere else. It simply comes from the eating habbits. Not eating in between the three meals a day (four if you include the afternoon snack) and keeping meals balanced is a good start.
Successful diets have shown that 4-6 small meals controls blood sugar and fights hunger pangs and cravings. We eat like crap here - too much refined sugar and flour in addition to overstuffing ourselves at each meal. Supersize me. Not!

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Rick5150 said:
You are one of the lucky ones. Don't worry, it will catch up with you in the end ;) One day wou will wake up and have thirty years worth of cellulite on your body and you will say, "what happened?!"

I wouldn't call that lucky at all.
I know people who have the same problem; they can eat as much as they want, but don't gain a pound.
Those people are at least twice as old as Vaxer and still have that problem.
People that are overweight see, what I've mentioned above, as a blessing.
But the fact is, it is usually as much as a curse as overweight (when you can't help it).

Rick5150

I wouldn't call that lucky at all.
I know people who have the same problem; they can eat as much as they want, but don't gain a pound.

I know it is frustrating as my own son is going through that. I base that comment on studies that have shown that those on the lower side of the average weight live longer than those who fall into the "normal" range and definitely live longer than those who are obese. Granted they were referring to laboratory rats, but ...

... seriously, have you ever seen a very old obese person? Doesn't happen much. Very old underweight folks are extremely common. Dime a dozen in fact.

I also say this because the "grass is always greener." We all want to be what we are not. It may not be emotionally satisfying or aesthetically satisfying to be thin, but odds are you will live longer than I will.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Sorry, I tend to get carried away sometimes?

Rick5150 said:
I base that comment on studies that have shown that those on the lower side of the average weight live longer than those who fall into the "normal" range and definitely live longer than those who are obese.

I didn't know that.
But still, it might give you a longer life.. but it just doesn't really seem all that healthy to me.
I also have a member of my family who is in that situation, and I feel sorry for her as it is a 'problem', no matter if you live longer than other people.

Rick5150 said:
... seriously, have you ever seen a very old obese person? Doesn't happen much. Very old underweight folks are extremely common. Dime a dozen in fact.

I also say this because the "grass is always greener." We all want to be what we are not. It may not be emotionally satisfying or aesthetically satisfying to be thin, but odds are you will live longer than I will.

True.. Very true. (unfortunately)

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I have to agree that it is better in many ways to be underweight then overweight. It is more healthy and usually more attractive.

I realize it's a big problem in America (and other places). Many of my friends have been shocked by how many oversized people they saw when going to America. It is true that today 'fat' does not mean the same thing in every country. The percentage of obese people keeps growing everywhere (well not in Somalia...).

It is pretty alarming when you think of it. It would be preferable to regulate this illness before it gets heavily anchored in human genes. If the big food industries are reposible, it seems hard to go backwards. The pradox is that when you enter an American supermarket, it seams to be written 'Fat Free' on every single box (I may be wrong, but it's the impression I get).

Rick5150

I also have a member of my family who is in that situation, and I feel sorry for her as it is a 'problem', no matter if you live longer than other people.

It just means you have a longer life to live with the problem. Can be a curse, I suppose :confused:

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, sure can..

Hmm.. I get the idea I'm making too much of an issue out of this. My apologies.
But I just wanted to point out that weight problems don't always mean overweight problems.

But to get this thread back on topic?
We see so many models and actresses with the so called 'perfect figure'? and now there's this show with a 'fat actress'.
I still don't really see what the big deal is with that. Yeah, it's odd. But is it wrong? Would it really set a bad example?