TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #526
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Almost two months ago I wrote that four ACI figures arrived, three Roman soldiers and a gladiator, but I never took photos of the gladiator.

This is how ACI designed him to look:

As with all their gladiators, straight of out the box, it's a fantasy image owing more to the Starz Spartacus series or the Russell Crowe Gladiator movie than to an historical depiction.

Tall greaves were always worn as a pair, and I pre-ordered the figure on the understanding that it would include a second one. It didn't, but the company contacted me to send me another anyway, which arrived last week, along with the square parmula shield I ordered separately.

The greaves themselves are an excellent reproduction of those excavated at the Pompeii gladiator barracks in 1766/67. (There's a good photo of the real ones on page 249 of Junkelmann's Gladiatoren, though I haven't found an online image of them yet).

So here he is, Verus as a Thraex with a curved sica as opposed to the angled variant:

And the complete Ludus ACI:

Not sure about Verus' helmet, though. It's clearly based on the Spartacus helmet:

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #527
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Nineteen months of waiting finally came to an end last week.

I pre-ordered Hot Toys' sixth scale The Avengers Ruffalo Hulk back in August 2012. I hadn't seen the film then, but I really just wanted a Hulk.

Mr. Banner's angry other half took the slow boat from China. Literally. The container ship stopped at every port on the way.

He was well worth the wait.

To give an idea of size:

When I saw this,

I had to do this:

Old 04-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #528
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
The greaves themselves are an excellent reproduction of those excavated at the Pompeii gladiator barracks in 1766/67.
In 2005, I saw those barracks and walked through the Pompeii coliseum.

Hey, Smiffy, your thread has 59,681 views! That's pretty high for a so-called "personal blog".
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #529
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
In 2005, I saw those barracks and walked through the Pompeii coliseum.

There were some incredible finds made at Pompeii, many still intact.

Quote:
Hey, Smiffy, your thread has 59,681 views! That's pretty high for a so-called "personal blog".

I'm forever amazed by the number of hits this thread gets!
Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #530
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
There were some incredible finds made at Pompeii, many still intact.
It's an amazing place. At the risk of turning The Raven into a so-called "personal blog", maybe I'll resurrect my Pompeii thread with some photos.
Quote:
People want to check out your junk, mate! Personally, I couldn't care less for the superhero tosh but am interested in your militaria (WW2 and earlier)...as well as your "Planet of the Apes" stuff.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #531
Finn

Quote:
What did you expect? It's essentially a power fantasy for all those sorry sods who do not have the luxury of acquiring all this neat junk.

The reasons vary. One may be chronically broke, or the missus disapproves and threatens to cross her legs, or one lives in an area constantly pestered by plastic-eating locusts... you get the idea.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #532
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
It's an amazing place. At the risk of turning The Raven into a so-called "personal blog", maybe I'll resurrect my Pompeii thread with some photos.

Go for it!

Quote:
People want to check out your junk, mate! Personally, I couldn't care less for the superhero tosh but am interested in your militaria (WW2 and earlier)...as well as your "Planet of the Apes" stuff.

Classic Apes still rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
What did you expect? It's essentially a power fantasy for all those sorry sods who do not have the luxury of acquiring all this neat junk.

The reasons vary. One may be chronically broke, or the missus disapproves and threatens to cross her legs, or one lives in an area constantly pestered by plastic-eating locusts... you get the idea.

I think I owe it all to you, Finn, when you renamed this joint!

But it comes at a price. Sacrifices have to be made, such as holidays, alcohol, food. Eating is very over-rated.

I've sold masses of vintage junk collected over the years that no longer really interests me. So that helps.

A lot of things are chance finds, just being in the right place at the right time. A random object then brings the fun of research to find out what it is!

Last edited by Montana Smith : 04-01-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #533
Finn

Quote:
I think I owe it all to you, Finn, when you renamed this joint!
So... you're suggesting that the visitors are mostly women and closeted men, then?

I almost feel sorry for making them leave the place disappointed.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #534
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
So... you're suggesting that the visitors are mostly women and closeted men, then?

I almost feel sorry for making them leave the place disappointed.

That good old bait and switch.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #535
Montana Smith
IndyFan

The postman gave me good head over the front gate this morning.

It's the first time he's ever done that. It was only a small junk package but I knew it was coming.

You see, the Chinese will copy anything regardless of licensing rights if it'll make money. For years they've been freely recasting Hot Toys' sixth scale head sculpts, repainting them and flogging them on Ebay.

While waiting for my Hot Toys Wolverines I ordered a bootleg head from Hong Kong to put on a spare Wolverine body. After all, he is my second-favourite Canadian.

In the comic books Logan (Wolverine) joined the Canadian-American First Special Service Force, which became known as 'The Devil's Brigade'.

So here he is wearing a US airborne uniform in 1942:

The FSSF was activated 9th July 1942 and trained at Fort William Henry Harrison which sounds apt enough for an Indy team-up:

Uniforms and equipment were supplied by the US Government. Training involved parachuting, skiing, rock climbing, demolitions, adaptation to cold climates and operation of the M29 Weasel.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #536
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
While waiting for my Hot Toys Wolverines I ordered a bootleg head from Hong Kong to put on a spare Wolverine body. After all, he is my second-favourite Canadian.

In the comic books Logan (Wolverine) joined the Canadian-American First Special Service Force, which became known as 'The Devil's Brigade'.
I didn't know that Wolf-a-weenie is a Canuck. If he's your 2nd favourite, then who is your 1st? Michael J. Fox? William Shatner? Justin Bieber?

This unit, The Devil's Brigade, must be the one which was depicted in the 1968 film of the same name. If so, that's kinda cool and fans of Wolverine owe it to themselves to check it out.
Quote:
The FSSF was activated 9th July 1942 and trained at Fort William Henry Harrison which sounds apt enough for an Indy team-up:
There's a Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario and a Fort William Henry in Lake George, New York (which were both British) but I've never heard of Fort William Henry Harrison before.

The things one learns from reading your posts...
Old 04-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #537
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I didn't know that Wolf-a-weenie is a Canuck. If he's your 2nd favourite, then who is your 1st? Michael J. Fox? William Shatner? Justin Bieber?

...Shania Twain, Keanu Reeves, Bryan Adams, Jim Carrey, Stewie...

That would be telling.

Lots to choose from!

Quote:
This unit, The Devil's Brigade, must be the one which was depicted in the 1968 film of the same name. If so, that's kinda cool and fans of Wolverine owe it to themselves to check it out.

Indeed it is! And one of the films I was having to 're-catalogue' last Sunday.

Quote:
There's a Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario and a Fort William Henry in Lake George, New York (which were both British) but I've never heard of Fort William Henry Harrison before.

Uncannily enough, it's in Montana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Wi...Henry_Harrison

And a potted history of the FSSF itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Brigade

Quote:
The things one learns from reading your posts...

I surprise myself sometimes!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #538
Montana Smith
IndyFan

This was a very nice addition to the collection:

Inside, there's a licensed Umarex Beretta Mod. 92 FS full metal CO2 pistol:

Umarex of Germany are reputed to be the leading maker of pellet guns that are firearm replicas, and this is a real heavyweight at 1.26 kgs (2.78 lbs).

The technical specs from the manual:

Old 04-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #539
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
This was a very nice addition to the collection:

Inside, there's a licensed Umarex Beretta Mod. 92 FS full metal CO2 pistol:

Umarex of Germany are reputed to be the leading maker of pellet guns that are firearm replicas, and this is a real heavyweight at 1.26 kgs (2.78 lbs).

The technical specs from the manual:

Or you could get a real gun instead all the toys. I even have a licence to carry.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #540
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
Or you could get a real gun instead all the toys. I even have a licence to carry.

Scooby-doo, get a clue.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #541
Montana Smith
IndyFan

The Webley Nemesis wasn't the prettiest of airguns. It reminded me of the original Robocop's modified Beretta 93R (more on him at some point). It was fitting it had to make way for the 92FS.

Will likely shed some of the replicas, but this is the current breakdown:

Deactivated

Webley Mk. IV .38 double action with 5” barrel (UK, c.1965)

Tokarev Mod. TT-33 7.62mm semi-automatic (Soviet Union, dated 1953)

Vincenzo Bernadelli Mod. 60 .22 LR (Gardone proof mark 'AB' for 1959)

Black Powder

Colt 1851 Navy .36 / 9mm blank (Gardone proof mark 'AD' for 1978) (Pietta, Italy)

Blank Firer

Beretta Mod. 1934 9mm semi-automatic (MGC/RMI, Japan)

Colt 1851 Navy (Uberti, Italy)

Colt 1873 Single Action Army .44-40 Long Blank (MGC/RMI, Japan)

Colt 1874 Single Action Army .45 (MGC/RMI, Japan)

Colt 1873 Single Action Army 'Cavalry' .44 (CMC, Japan, 1968)

Colt 1911 9mm semi-automatic (Bruni, Italy. Imported by Webley)

Colt Cobra .38 Special (Malugo/Marugo, Japan)

Mauser C96 Mod. 1930 (Hudson, Japan)

Mayer & Riem 1937 'Perfecta' Mod. S 8-shot repeating 6mm Flobert (c.1960, West Germany)

Remington 1858 New Model Army .44 cartridge conversion 9mm blank (Gardone proof mark 'CC' for 2008) (Pietta, Italy)

Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum 4” barrel (MGC/RMI, Japan)

Airgun

Anics Skif A-3000 .177 CO2 28-shot repeating single or double action (Russia)

Baikal Makarov MP-654K Generation 1 1999 .177 CO2 (IMZ Makarov factory, Russia)

Umarex Beretta Mod. 92FS .177 CO2 licensed by Beretta (c.2011 Germany)

Webley Nemesis .177 (UK)

Airsoft

Dan Wesson .357 Magnum with 2.5” barrel 6mm CO2

Heckler & Koch MP5A3 9mm

Walther P99 9mm

Replica

C18th Bunney Pocket Pistol (Denix, Spain)

Colt 1860 Army .44 (Denix, Spain)

Colt 1873 Single Action Army .45 (Denix, Spain)

Colt 1873 Single Action Army 'Cavalry' .45 (Denix, Spain)

Griswold & Gunnison 1860 Confederate Army iron and brass copy of the .36 Colt (Denix, Spain)

Luger P08 9mm Parabellum (Denix, Spain)

Remington Model 1875 Single Action Army .45 (Denix, Spain)

Smith & Wesson 1869 Model 3 .44 Russian / .45 Schofield (Denix, Spain)

Walther P38 9mm Parabellum (Denix, Spain)

Winchester 1866 .45 (Denix, Spain)
Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #542
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I must have looked through thousands of photographs before I was able to identify this holster:

I finally found two identical examples which identified it as a 'Dutch style' drop holster for a Browning FN Model 1922.

The only marking is the stamped number '273' on the top of the flap:

The FN Model 1922 was specifically a military and police pistol, with FN offering it to individual civilians only by special order.

The pistol saw extensive service in the Second World War, and continued to be manufactured by the Germans after their occupation of Belgium and seizure of the FN factory. The FN 1922 was also used by Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Romania, Turkey, Yugoslavia, and after the war by West Germany.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #543
Finn

Quote:
The pistol saw extensive service in the Second World War, and continued to be manufactured by the Germans after their occupation of Belgium and seizure of the FN factory. The FN 1922 was also used by Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Romania, Turkey, Yugoslavia, and after the war by West Germany.
Brings back memories. In a sense.

In Finland, the FN-22 was almost specifically used as Law Enforcement standard issue, from the 30s all the way to the 80s. During the war it was rare among frontline troops, who preferred the domestically made Lahti L-35, a Luger variant which remained the Army standard issue all the way to the 80s. As a successor to both, the police and military were all upgraded with FN-HPs.

Got to handle the upgraded version during the service. Surprisingly stable weapon, very little kick considering the stopping power it provides. Can also take quite a lot of grime before being deemed unsafe to use. It is gradually being replaced by Glock 17 (which is already the modern Law Enforcement standard issue), but many military officers still swear in its name due to aforementioned characteristics.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #544
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Brings back memories. In a sense.

In Finland, the FN-22 was almost specifically used as Law Enforcement standard issue, from the 30s all the way to the 80s. During the war it was rare among frontline troops, who preferred the domestically made Lahti L-35, a Luger variant which remained the Army standard issue all the way to the 80s. As a successor to both, the police and military were all upgraded with FN-HPs.

Got to handle the upgraded version during the service. Surprisingly stable weapon, very little kick considering the stopping power it provides. Can also take quite a lot of grime before being deemed unsafe to use. It is gradually being replaced by Glock 17 (which is already the modern Law Enforcement standard issue), but many military officers still swear in its name due to aforementioned characteristics.

Thanks for the extra info, Finn.

When I pinned the holster down as being for a FN 1922 all the images I could find at first were for this design :

Only real difference is the extra piece of leather to attach the holster directly to the belt.

The one I have is designed to be suspended from a belt, and referred to as 'Dutch style', though I've found no evidence to corroborate that.

Do you remember which design was in common use in Finland?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #545
Finn

Quote:
Do you remember which design was in common use in Finland?
Not really, no. Sorry. Save for the facile acquaintance I made with the FN-22's successor, all my information is from 2nd hand sources. And since I was in service in the early 2000s, the accessories tended to be a tad more modern as well.

Incidentally, I heard that holsters for service issues were apparently pretty rare. Until very recently, it was actually unusual for police officers to carry a firearm with them at all times - and when the occasion did call for it, they simply tended to stash them into deep pockets they had on their uniforms or overcoats.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #546
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Not really, no. Sorry. Save for the facile acquaintance I made with the FN-22's successor, all my information is from 2nd hand sources. And since I was in service in the early 2000s, the accessories tended to be a tad more modern as well.

Not to worry, it was really just a shot in the dark!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #547
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Kick-Ass and Kick-Ass 2 struck a chord. Much more so than Super.

At some point I knew I'd have to have a Hit Girl in the collection. The company with the 1/6 licence is Medicom of Japan, whom I rarely have a good word to say about.

However, in the case of the Kick-Ass 2 Hit-Girl they excelled themselves in comparison to my experience with their Raiders Indy and Last Crusade Young Indy.

Comes armed with ten hands; a double-bladed naginata; six throwing knives; and a pair of purple-gripped SIG-Sauer P230s.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #548
Montana Smith
IndyFan

When Japanese professional modeler and Star Wars fanatic Seiji Takahashi set out to create the “world’s most accurate” C-3PO Chogokin figure for toy companies Sideshow Collectibles and Tamashii Nations, he wanted to capture not only the character, but also its essence as well.

Takahashi credits the 1977 film as “fundamentally changing the entire concept of what a ‘tokusatsu’ (special effects) film was.” With that in mind, he asked himself, “how can I capture that same sense of shock and awe I felt when I first saw the film?”

Speel largely plagiarized from http://www.geekexchange.com/possibly...ure-83869.html.

A video review from CollectionDX:

To correct a point near the end of the video: this figure did eventually go on clearance. Hobby Link Japan put Threepio in their sale at less than half its original retail price. Seemed like a steal. And it wasn't long before they'd sold out.

My 1/6 Bandai/Sideshow Tamashii Nations 12” Perfect Model Chogokin C-3PO* arrived today. He's heavy die-cast apart from the hands and wires. And I mean really heavy, compared that is to a regular sixth scale figure. He's fully articulated, though not as mobile as a comparable human figure. The pistons are fully functional when you move his arms; the wires in the torso are real and the eyes light up. His accessories are two pairs of extra hands, a magnetic restraining bolt and a comlink, and a nifty stand with a hinged waist grabber designed not to crush the wires.

Not easy to photograph the eyes lit. They aren't as white as they appear:

Dust particles caught in the thin layer of oil Threepio arrives with (!):

Father and 'son' together again:

Another review:

* Tamashii Nations is an umbrella label encompassing Japan’s top collectible brands. The mission of Tamashii Nations is to bring “tamashii”, the Japanese word for soul or spirit, into everything they create.

12” Perfect Model is a Tamashii Nations brand devoted to spreading Japanese action figure culture around the world. They also represent the high end of the Tamashii Nations brand.

Chogokin refers to Bandai's line of high end die-cast figures. 'Chogokin' is Japanese for 'Super Alloy', a fictitious material that appeared in Mazinger Z manga and anime.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #549
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Picked up another CO2 Umarex air pistol.

This one's a licensed Walther, based on the P99. Like the Beretta it's a semi-auto with an 8-shot 4.5mm/.177 lead pellet magazine. Single and double action with a velocity up to 360 fps.

Steel slide and polymer frame as with a real Walther P99, and actually weighs a little more than the real thing. Pulling the slide back engages single action. As with actual P99s there's a de-cocking button on top of the slide to uncock from single action.

A standard Walther ambidextrous lever at the rear of the trigger guard releases the magazine:

Old 06-15-2014, 05:17 AM   #550
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Don't see much Indiana Jones junk around. Suppose he just isn't very popular!

So I was pretty surprised to find these at a boot sale this morning (okay, so it's expanded universe, but I suppose it still counts):

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles trading cards by Pro Set dating from 1992.

The box originally contained 36 packs. There are 14 unopened packs and the complete contents of 22 others, so it's actually still the complete contents of the box.

According to the box there were 114 cards to collect and this page shows that they break down as 95 story cards; 10 3D cards; 8 Hidden Treasure game cards and the 3D viewer.

Among the opened cards I have 90 story; 10 3D and 5 Hidden Treasures. The missing ones may well be among the unopened packs.

Back to the unpopularity of Indiana Jones: these cards are virtually without monetary value. I see that sealed box sets of 36 packs can be had for under £3 (plus delivery from the US). They couldn't have sold well back in 1992/1993that so many sealed boxes are still being off-loaded.