Star Wars trilogy (Rian Johnson)

curmudgeon

'The Last Jedi' director Rian Johnson has signed on to create a new trilogy of Star Wars films, as well as write/direct the first installment.

Quoth the Press Release:
In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

No release dates have been set.

TheFedora

Interesting its staying separate from the Skywalker saga. I say that if they want to do something like Old Republic, I say go for it.

moon_tan

I read that they really like Rian Johnson and what he did for Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017). Looking forward to the new trilogy and if they keep it in our own time frame (no prequels).
I understand George Lucas also wrote story treatments for Episodes X, XI and XII. So I wonder how far in the future his stories are. Surely they are in his lifetime. Luke Skywalker must be apart of those story treatments too, I would think. I realize George Lucas was angry for Disney not using any of his ideas for The Force Awakens. Perhaps Disney should honor the creator.

curmudgeon

Finn said:
This must be the least surprising "big news" I've heard in a while.

It is? Surprised me...

But maybe it's just that I was expecting differently. After all the talk of standalones about classic characters, them announcing a trilogy about new characters caught me off guard.

And for it to the first sub-series to ditch the "Episode ___" numbering structure, is kind of unexpected.

Johnson returning isn't huge, I'll admit, but after some of the director drama on their other films I wouldn't have called it a "given" either.

Forbidden Eye

The Last Jedi is literally going to have to be the single greatest movie I?ve ever seen(several notches above Empire and Raiders combined) for me to get excited by this news. Disney is officially milking Star Wars all that it is worth and more.

As the films continue and the less involvement the original trilogy crew will have, I will have no interest in Star Wars. Something I would probably be shocked to learn about myself 10 years ago, but I guess we all grow up..

WilliamBoyd8

post_hopalongcassidy_photo_01.jpg

William Boyd made 66 Hopalong Cassidy films in 14 years (1935-1948).

Disney is going to have to hustle!

:)

Finn

Staff member
curmudgeon said:
It is? Surprised me...
Disney has long since indicated... no, flat out declared they intend to milk the franchise for all it's worth. Heck, they've basically yelled it from the rooftops.

Only thing that's been shrouded in mystery is the execution. But since it's been clear for a while they're going to do something big, there's practically no method that should be considered surprising.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
... But since it's been clear for a while they're going to do something big...

and safe

...there's practically no method that should be considered surprising.

Except for the element of surprise and wonder itself. Keep it vanilla Disney, keep it vanilla.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://mashable.com/2017/12/05/star-wars-rian-johnson-trilogy-not-old-republic.amp
In a week we may know Rey's lineage, and my guess is they'll go that route, halfway between 6 and 7. Unless it's before 1, it has to have the droids.
Rian Johnson: "Oh, they love Knights of the Old Republic. I played that game when it first came out and it was like, god, I loved it. Yeah, that?s a fantastic game. And I understand it, the instinct to automatically go to something that you know and love, that you?ve already seen. To me, what?s really fun is the notion of what new stuff are we gonna see, what new stories can we tell? For me, the possibility in a new story told over three movies, go anywhere, do anything, sky?s the limit, in Star Wars? That?s so exciting. I?m in the very, very beginning phases of trying to think about it so I don?t know yet. I?m still figuring out what it?s gonna be."