Marion's Bar

JurassicPrince

Is anyone else in love with the set design and overall direction of Marion's Bar? It's a really atmospheric and visually captivating scene, apart from all the action. Smoke everywhere, the lone sound of wind blowing mixed with dialogue, that lighting on the faces of the characters in close-ups, those lit-up colored bottles of liquor, that old wooden look of the bar interior...

Marions_Bar_zps604f9252.png

Stoo

The bar scene is filmmaking at it's best!(y) It has so much: drama, action, comedy, suspense, great acting, great editing, great sound effects and excellent framing.

I also love the fact that there is no music during the action because it makes the scene more realistic (and I think this is the only major action sequence in all 4 films that doesn't use any so it's rather unique in that respect).

IAdventurer01

I think all you need to do is look at the top of the page and see you're not alone in liking the scene. :p

But yes, the atmosphere and set for the Raven Bar is wonderfully done and quite realistic. It's great how it seems so natural for the bar, and they make it work perfectly for the later fight sequence. It seems rare to have such a simple set that works for bar banter and business deals also work for such a compelling fight at the same time.

Montana Smith

The Raven is a wonderfully atmospheric setting. Remote enough for anything to happen.

Cold and snowy outside:

TheRavenOutside.jpg

Warm and cosy inside:

131.jpg

I liked the settings for The Thing for the same reasons.

Alas they all finish up the same way in the end:

150.jpg

JurassicPrince

IAdventurer01 said:
I think all you need to do is look at the top of the page and see you're not alone in liking the scene. :p

You know, I should have figured when my image matched the above drawing :)

Montana Smith said:

Well thanks for adding another wonderful shot. So cool how Spielberg has the camera set up there.

I Don Quixote

I love Marion's bar. When I was younger, I was watching the movie with my dad, and I blew him away with some of the little details I noticed. Like the little American flag over her bar!

IAdventurer01

I said:
I love Marion's bar. When I was younger, I was watching the movie with my dad, and I blew him away with some of the little details I noticed. Like the little American flag over her bar!

Flag? :confused:

Wow, it's even in the above picture I pointed out earlier. A very nice detail that I've never noticed. Clearly this means I need to go watch Raiders a couple dozen more times to see if there's anything else I've been oblivious to for years.