Indiana Jones and the Missing Sound Files

MP3

OK, now that I have a creative name for my problem, let me tell you the problem itself. ;)

I've been browsing through the IJET directories on my hard drive, checking out the various sound files. Although I can find just about every music track and every sound effect in the game (including some that aren't implemented), I can't seem to find the files that contain the characters voices anywhere. Am I missing something? Or are they not stored as regular sound files?

The only speech file is a clip of a voice saying "Nazis... I hate these guys", which isn't even used anywhere in the game. Where are the rest of the speech files?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I have the same problem. Check out <a href="http://www.theraider.net/theraven/showthread.php?threadid=4954">this thread</a>.

Yolegoman

It seems LucasArts didn't mind people ripping their music files, but wanted their dialouge recordings intact. Bummer...

It's to bad, really. I'd love the dialouge from the end of Ceylon:

"Guten tag, Dr Jones, it's a beautiful day for a swim, is it not? I would join you, but I seem to have forgotten my bathing suit."

"No problem, I can lend you mine. It's back at the hotel."

"Ah, the famous american sense of humour... I never really understood it."

"Look Hans, or Klaus, or whatever your name is, I don't know what your talking about, but whatever it is, I'm sure we can cut a deal."

"Very well, here is the 'deal'. You will give me the idol... now!"

"Okay okay, I get your point. I have what you want right here."

*punch*

"ARGH! KILL HIM!"

:D

EDIT: in the indy/dialouge folder, there are files quite large in file size: one for each chapter, the .rpe files. It seems to me that they quite possibly hold the dialouge. Unfortanetly, they are unplayable by media players, duh.

We would need some genius to write us a decoder and be willing to have himself sued if we want the dialouge files for our enjoyment. :D

Yolegoman

[Edited by Yolegoman on 09-22-2003 at 08:42 am]

MP3

VP: Thanks for the link.

Yolegoman: It's alright, you don't need to transcribe the dialouge for me - I've beaten the game so many times that by now I know every dialouge by heart down to the last detail, including the accents. ;)

MP3

Something just hit me: voices don't need digital quality THAT badly, right? Analog should be good enough for speech. So theoretically, you could lower the music and SFX volume levels to zilch, max out the voice volume, plug a tape recorder or MD Walkman into your speaker jack, and voila!

Yolegoman

WOWEE! If this works, THANKS A BUNCH!

WOOHOO!

And MP3, me too. I'm on my third username, but I have played each level DOZENS of times, and I STILL love it!

WHOOOO!

Yolegoman

Okay, I just finished copying all of the files, and the program worked great.

I plan to use the dialouge, after editing them some, in my new Brickfilm.

Unfortanetly, they are uneditable by all of my audio editing software, so I will have to assemple a play list, plug in my cable from the speaker port to the microphone port, and record whilst playing after all. At least it will be a TON easier!

Thanks man!

Yolegoman

Benni

Because the files are stored in the IMA ADPCM format, not every waveeditor can open it.
If you select in GAP Playlist File | Convert File(s)... and choose the Wave format: PCM, you can open it with every waveeditor.

Yolegoman

Benni said:
Because the files are stored in the IMA ADPCM format, not every waveeditor can open it.
If you select in GAP Playlist File | Convert File(s)... and choose the Wave format: PCM, you can open it with every waveeditor.

Thanks! I shall try that!

Gap program and sound file extraction

Gday
I downloaded the Gap program as I have the indy and buffy game on xbox with rpe files.

It was able to "read the files" and told me that the AF type was wave but in the data information secion it told me that they were

Format: Unknown (105)
Channels: 1 (mono)
Sample Rate: 22050 Hz
Resolution: 4-bit
Block Align: 36

BUT output format was : None suggested. Playback impossible.

Anyone got any hints on how to extract from these? Even better, what about adding "home made" wav files to these rpe files to give some characters more "interesting" voices???

Email me direct on my username...

T

Yolegoman

Benni said:

There you go.

Yolego

To Yolego

Thanks for that Y, but nope, it doesn't work.

I can send you a copy of the saved file to see if you can get it to work, but I've tried every option on this GAP program and no luck.

email me your address and I'll send a couple of the files (if you wish and are curious)

T