Sunset Ending ver. 2.40

Pale Horse

Staff member
In a spin off of another thread, can anyone here think of an ending that would top, out do surprise or otherwise improve on the Indy III ending? We are all creative. CAn we collectively come to some sort of consensus for a great, unique ending?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
This has been discussed before...I highly suggest the 14 page or so thread that was recently revived, but here's a summary from that thread:

Okay, here are some of the ideas that have shown up:

-No Indy IV
-Indy dies doing any old thing (whipping across a gap)
-Indy dies saving the world
-Indy dies trying to save himself
-Indy saves the world w/o death
-Indy goes up in a blaze of glory (nuclear explosion or something)
-Indy dies saving his friends
-Indy retires
-Indy takes a new profession (no more adventures)
-the world has changed, Indy sees he doesn't fit in anymore (like how some Westerns ended - the frontier's been tamed, pardner)
-Indy whips the camera
-Indy walks off into sunset
-Indy rides off into sunset by himself
-Indy with the rest of the cast riding into sunset (like LC)
-Indy gets married to Marion, Willie, or Sophia
-Indy gets married to an old flame, introduced just for the film
-Indy gets married to a new character just for the film
-Pass down the hat & the whip
-Some other character could die (Marcus, Henry, or Sallah)
-Losing an eye (to account for the eyepatch)
-Indy continues to have adventures
-Indy dies and comes back to life (fulfilling the hero requirement of going to the underworld and returning)
-Redemption
-Indy becomes like Marcus, maybe taking his job as curator of the museum ("5 years ago I would have gone after it myself")
-"to be continued"
-more sequels with HF
-a series with other actors
-Randy_Flagg's idea with Indy shooting up the neighborhood, upset over the violence, having shot Marion, Willie, and Short Round, Marcus talks to him, Indy slumps to the floor and cries, and the police apprehend the crazed former adventurer (which, even though it was a joke, actually has a strange appeal to me)
-Or, in other words, Indy goes crazy
-Indy goes crazy and must pay for it
-Make it a prequel
-Make a 2-part film
-Sappy, happy ending (won't work)
-Indy/museum gets to keep the artifact
-Indy has a kid
-Indy gets rid of the fedora and somebody finds it years later
-Something after the credits
-Open ended - Indy may have died, may not have, the viewer makes their own decision
-Indy goes off on another adventure
-Indy decides to be a "normal" archaeologist going on digs minus the adventure
-Indy resigns to teaching archaeology
-Indy becomes dean of Barnett
-Indy heads the archaeology department at Barnett
-Indy does some T.E. Lawrence thing and gives up his persona, and joins the army or something
-Indy fails to recover an artifact and the museum director shoots him
-Indy considers retiring but then decides to keep on adventuring (yeah, yeah, I know its not a word)
-Indy sees good & evil aren't black & white anymore, and retires from public life (remember the guy in the one "find a weapon" house in Desktop Adventures, who was an old friend of Henry - something like that)
-Indy goes into business - "Indy's Cafe Americaine" (sp.?)
-Indy must pay for being a grave robber
-Indy sells his life story to Hollywood [forgive me, I've been working on this post so long I think I'll sell it to Hollywood]
-Shane - Indy is wounded and rides into sunset
-High Noon - Indy sees the world doesn't want/like/appreciate him anymore, so he drops the fedora/whip/whatever and turns and leaves
-Similar to the eyepatch, Indy loses his hand or something
-Indy does the exact same thing as Fedora at the end of the Young Indy sequence (only passing on version I like, actually)
-the new evil doesn't believe in mystical artifacts, so Indy has no place in the world
-he's found everything there is to find, so Indy has no place in the world
-the gear is put away in a box, and Indy buries it, or puts it in his attic, or drops it into the ocean, or burns it, or whatever
-Indy finds immortality, and has infinite adventures
-Indy's soul is corrupted, and is killed
-Indy's soul is corrupted, and becomes a villain (the nudge to make him like Belloq)
-Indy looks at the sunset/night sky, and you see him in silhouette
-Indy starts a new adventure, outside a cave, says "I love this part", and walks into the darkness
-Field of Dreams - Indy walks into a cave, and disappears
-A prequel that ends where ToD begins
-Indy has a heart attack after a big fight scene
-We see old Jones telling his grandchildren stories
-We see old Jones telling anybody stories
-Citizen Kane - ends with an older Jones dying, and than we see what his last words had to do with

That being said (remember, it's only a summary), I personally think it should somehow refer to some classic film or an archetypical ending...as with the warehouse in Raiders (taken from Citizen Kane) and the sunset in LC (the classic heroic ending.

I like the Shane-based idea with Indy riding, slowly, wounded into the sunset.

ROTLA

Don't know if this is in the above list, but how about if Indy gets "frozen" or buried or something while trying to acquire an artifact and then he becomes an artifact himself. He goes out as a piece of the world which fueled his life...

FordFan

How about Indy recovers the artifact and the screen fades to black and white and morphs into a picture in an open history book? Indy is in the background of a picture with a digging posse in the foreground or something. You'd have to look closely to see him. It could be a way of saying Indy was a silent contributor to history. And the camera can zoom in on Indy smiling with the artifact in his sack, and the Raiders March plays.

A way of saying that later in history no one knew of Indiana Jones, but who cares because he unearthed fortune and glory once and for all and we know it. That's just my corny idea.

wolfgang

How about this? Indy is looking for something top secret. you don't know what it is. In the end he gets to open a box in which teh artifact is and then....it ends and you'll never know what it was!

ROTLA

Wolfgang's idea seems like Indiana Jones in the Mystery of Pulp Fiction. Everybody is after the briefcase but the viewer never knows what's in it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
This will take this OT, but the item in the breifcase is not his soul, it is a "second chance" The only one who had a shot at a second chance to turn from his bad ways was Travolta, and he didn't take it. That is why he died. Tarentino talks about it on the DVD.

ROTLA

OT - I haven't seen the interview on the Pulp DVD. The last time I heard any kind of speculation about the contents of the briefcase, Tarantino wasn't really talking about it and just said it was up to the viewer to decide what was in there. Maybe he took that route so he would have something new and fresh to use for a DVD interview!!

Speaking of, do you think Spielberg, Lucas, Ford - anyone really - will mention Indy IV on the extras disc? Or maybe they'll discuss the "Riding into the Sunset" scene from LC when they do the commentary. That might give us a hint about what might come in IV. (How's that for trying to bring this post back to the topic?!?)

swords

Who came up with "Indy whips the camera?"

the new evil doesn't believe in mystical artifacts, so Indy has no place in the world

Indy must pay for being a grave robber

I think I like these two. The first one could relate to the Russians and the second one is intriguing.

Lets say Indy saves the world, then after he gets an mass reception, an unfortunate event happens: We reach an anti-climax as an unmarked car kidnaps Jones.

Then later, an old Nemesis, perhaps an friend of an friend from Madagascar whose family fortune was stolen from Indy, who suffered financially and perhaps an brother or sister who was unintentionally killed by Indy's exploits. As we know, Indy was once involved in an "Madagascar incident" with the king[?], or an prince[?].

We hear Indy tortured, then after an short period of silence, the camera cuts to Indy on a shoreline, his face cut and bruised, his shirt ripped and bloodied and untucked, his fedora crumpled to his side. He weakly gets up and finds shade under an palm tree from the sun and stares at the magnificent display in sight: The ocean.

An wounded man, against an backdrop of beauty: The ocean. Ocean, ocean, ocean.

[Edited by swords on 07-11-2003 at 12:13 am]

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I personally like several ideas:
Indy "passing the hat".
Indy gearing up for another adventure.
An ambiguous ending, where we don't truly know what happened to him, with a tease for Indy V...err...okay so maybe that is asking for too much.;)

Adventurer

Thank you Attila for the very comprehensive list. Must have took ages. :)

What i like is: Indy starts a new adventure, outside a cave, says "I love this part", and walks into the darkness

That remembered me at the beginning of Raiders. Dark jungle, cave barely visible, he turns to a Satipo type of person, face in the dark (like as he took a look at the map in raiders), saying: "I love this part". Goes in, black, short silence, Raiders March.

I think everyone has his/her own opinion as to how Indy 4 should end. That will make it very difficult to satisfy all viewers, epecially the fans. Darabont has one hell of a job...
Maybe there´s a possibility to get three different endings with one.
Provided that the film is laid out from the beginning to support that: The audience knows that he might have something like three choices (search for the Ark again [yep, in warehouse] or teaching archeology or whatever)left. Then there is a scene, optically classically arranged, where these choices are made optical visible (like a crossroad, but not so primitive and cliced). We see Indy, he looks left, right, and then he goes (maybe into sunset). Black. Credits. March.
This way, everyone will speculate which choice he made, and everyone will choose whatever he likes best.

A bit like open ended, but with a predefined choice.

SPOILER FOR CAST-AWAY. Do not read until you´ve seen the film:

The Tom Hanks movie Cast Away does have a very similar ending. Unfortunately in this case, it was very stagy, IMHO.
But you get an idea of what it could be like.

SPOILER END

[Edited by Adventurer on 07-11-2003 at 09:02 am]