AFI's "100 Years"... airs Tuesday, June 3

FordFan

I laughed my ass off when they put MAN on the list of villains from Bambi. The unseen man that kills Bambi's mother. I thought that was funny as ****.

But yeah, what's the deal with Atticus Finch?? And Andrew Becket from Philadelphia over John McClane?

Bleeding hearts, I tell ya....Bleeding hearts....

00Kevin

Indyfan
well, if finch is even IN THE BLOODY countdown, then obi-wan needs to be up in the top 20 at least, not top 40!!!!!

they tried to get 1 thing for everyone, and tried to end it with trying to get a message out..........

the message they tried to get out was that not all heros need to be fighters

the message they got out was that the AFI "GAY EXPERTS" are (fill in the blank)

again, very dissapointing, how about this: who does everyone want to be???? if there are 2 heros who EVERYONe looks up to: It's Indy and Bond.....US and UK, the greatest heroes ever

and of corse, afi has to be a bunch of moron softies

I mean common!!!!!

HOW THE :eek::eek::ee::eek: does Atticus finch beat:

bond
indy
rocky
solo
skywalker
mcclane
blaine
bailey
lawrence
obi-wan
wallace
batman
superman
neo

????????????????????????

20 bucks says harper lee payed afi to do that :d j/k

bloody afi................I declare all afi awards to be completely BOGUS until furthur notice.........

Indy Smith

DrJones56 said:

Gregory Peck's character in To Kill a Mocking Bird, he plays a lawer. I'll be shocked if you havn't heard of him! :-O

That's why I was asking because I hadn't seen that film or heard of Atticus Finch. Maybe i will see it now.

00Kevin

Indyfan
here in Yankland (aka America) they force us to read it for 10th grade

AND THAT'S WHERE I AM!!!

amasing...I was reading the bloody book and suddenly one of the charactors shows up in the countdown....it was bogus, but still a coincidence (SP?) none the less

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Great scott, now I'm defending the AFI...what has the world come to...

Anyways, nobody ever agrees with the AFI lists...not filmmakers, not film critics, not film fans...that's part of the point, they encourage discussion. Frankly, there are a great many things about the AFI lists I disagree with.

However, I agree completely with what spohlso says:

spohlso said:
I think Atticus Finch winning is one of the coolest things to have happened in years!! I can't think of anyone better for Indy to have to come in second to!

Don't get me wrong, I love Indy and I think he's great, but Atticus is WAAAAY more of a hero than Indy. Indy fought with his fists, guns and a whip. Finch only used his intelligence. Indy fought against one dimensional bad guys and supernatural spirit types. Atticus fought against injustice, ignorance, racism and intolerance.

In the end, it's apples and oranges, but I for one couldn't be happier with the results.

And don't think that my favorite hero is Atticus Finch. He is very, very admirable - the most admirable, really - but I have to go with #5, Will Kane, a man who does his duty, even after being forsaken by his wife, his friends, and his town.

Still, Indiana Jones came in #2...be happy for that. He beat out Star Wars and James Bond, according to the American Film Institute...take that!

spohlso

Well thank you Attila, it's cool that you saw the point I was making (even if you do prefer Will Kane.)

A thought just occured to me. The poll wasn't for the greatest action hero of all time, just the greatest hero. Atticus Finch (in the book, not the movie) is kind of my personal hero. I guess I identify with him more because he deals with everyday life situations in what I consider to be a heroic manner. I suppose if I had to fight Nazis all the time I would feel differently about the results.

00Kevin

Indyfan
atticus finch was so boring....I mean really!!!

and IF they even have that bugger in the countdown, then Obi-wan kenobi should be in the top 15!!!! where was gandalf????

J

Jedi Daniel

Luke Skywalker should have been on the heroes list easily. Both Han Solo and Obi-Wan Kenobi should have been higher. Good to see Indiana Jones up high on the list where he belongs.

Darth Vader should have easily come in at # 1.

Canyon

spohlso said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Indy and I think he's great, but Atticus is WAAAAY more of a hero than Indy. Indy fought with his fists, guns and a whip. Finch only used his intelligence. Indy fought against one dimensional bad guys and supernatural spirit types. Atticus fought against injustice, ignorance, racism and intolerance.
Okay. I'll admit. I have not seen To Kill a Mockingbird, but I have to disagree with what has been said here.

Indy does not just use his fists, webley and bullwhip, but he uses intellect as well.

In my way of thinking, Indy is the greatest because he is not only a hero, he not only gets into some amazingly dangerous situations (and gets himself out of them), but he is also intelligent and knowledgable.

And Indy in at second place!? I'm dissapointed to say the least. :mad:

Sorry about that. Just had to get that off my chest!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Given the recent events, with Peck's death, does anyone here think the voting of the AFI was a last minute honor?

I am not trampling on what was a brillant preformance, nor do I necessarily disagree with the outcome, but I do now wonder if there is a coincidence with the two events...

(I am really opening myself up for verbal beating, aren't I)

spohlso

I see what you're saying, but I think it's just a coincidence. According to his wife, he wasn't in particularly ill-health. He was just very old. He died peacefully in his sleep. Just one of those things.

It reminds me of the day they announced Charles Schultz finally retiring. The Sunday that was going to run the very last Peanuts comic strip. He died the night before the paper came out. Charles Schultz obituary ran in the same issue that his very last comic ran in. Wierd, but totally coincedental.