Indy 4 Deleted Scenes

|ZiR|

AHegele said:
at the very least a moment of explanation as to why Marion knew about the tree

But the movie does explain it. We see her see it as she drives along the edge of the cliff.

Perhilion

With Marion and the tree, when she drives to the edge of the cliff and stops while Indy is fighting, she looks over the edge at the tree and gets an "aha" look, so it sort of is explained.
EDIT: d'oh, beat me to it.

James

Part three:

Indy and Marion
Indy squeezed and later held Marion's hand during the duck escape, and here they lie beside each other after surviving the waterfall. Marion kids him about being tired, and says it's no wonder, considering the way he's always running all over the world. This prompts Indy to reply: "It ain't the mileage, honey, it's the years."

Climb To Akator
As the group climbs the moutain to the waterfall entrance, Indy warns Mutt to be careful: "Remember kid, three points of contact at all times. Safety first!" Mutt replies by pointing out the obvious: How's any of this safe, man?

Meanwhile, Spalko collapses as a strong vision overtakes her. She realizes that Indy has found the entrance to Akator, and uses a tracking device to confirm her hunch. (Mac doesn't leave homing beacons, and instead is only carrying one in his pocket.)

The Obelisk
It takes a long time for Indy to investigate the pyramid and solve the riddle of the obelisk. This allows Mutt time to take in the spectacle of the lost valley. Once inside, Marion is left hanging on a receeding step. Indy tells her to drop, and promises he will not let her down (implying he is through letting her down in life). She falls into his arms, similar to how she did in the Well of Souls.

The Lost City
Indy realizes the entire city is functioning as a massive power generator- via water turbines and copper tubing. He uses the skull to open the inner chamber, but it works by reversing its magnetic charge. When the crystal skeletons come to life, Marion remarks how beautiful their eyes are. But Indy is watching Marion instead. When she asks why he isn't paying closer attention, he tells her: "I've found what I was looking for."

Spalko's Death
The 13 aliens spring to life, but do not join into one. Instead, they stare down at Spalko and ultimately close in on her. Her eyes burn black and she screams: "I CAN STILL SEE!" She then leaves her body and floats overhead, watching her own destruction. Her ghostly spirit is soon pulled up into the dark vortex, followed closely by her own corpse.

Mac's Downfall
Indy's group is separated in the labyrinth of corridors. Mac eventually catches up with him, and Indy considers breaking his nose again. He then remembers that Mac has saved his life on several occasions, and realizes that survival is more important than anything else. They continue to flee, but the vortex catches up to them. Mac's pockets are weighted down with gold, causing Mac to be drawn backwards. Indy catches Mac with the whip, and Mac watches as Indy risks his life for someone who's been a lousy friend. He frees himself to save Indy, and laughs at the thought of flying literally into the unknown with pocketfuls of gold.

The Vanishing Vortex
Instead of a UFO, the vortex rises above the city as flying debris spins all around it. The vortex slowly takes on an odd shape, becomes two dimensional, and finally is as thin as a photograph's edge. Then, it simply blinks out of existence.

Oxley explains about the "space between spaces", and demonstrates by holding his hands in an "X" formation- then inverting them. This is a gesture which the alien had made to them in the hidden chamber.

Brody's Bible
After stopping to inspect the lettering being painted on Indy's new door, the Dean rushes into an office. He talks to a photo of Marcus, and says that he wished Marcus were there to see the day- but perhaps he is. The Dean removes a Bible that had belonged to Marcus and races to the College chapel. The ceremony has been on hold for the Bible, and Indy isn't amused. This also prompts Oxley to comment to the Dean about "how much time is spent waiting."

Last edited:

Stork

Grave yard

In the book 'The Complete making of Indiana Jones' They write that they had built the hydraulic tilting disk along with hydraulic trap door. So the set was built to film the trap door scene. The grave yard scene was anticlimactic so I hope the whip scene, Mutt throwing the knife, and the trap door with the chamber disintegrating behind them as they escape is included in a deleted scenes disk so I can edited them into my own "Extended version" thus making me a happier Indy 4 fan!(y)
Robert

James

|ZiR| said:
Thank you! Interesting stuff. Is it just those, or are there anymore changes?

There are a few others:

We have Spalko and Mac briefly talking as they prepare to leave the Area 51 hangar, and Dovchenko being picked by his men after the rocket sled ride.

There's also one I forgot to add, where Indy and Mutt stake out Indy's house. After Indy is confident that it's safe, they go in and research Oxley's letter. But Indy makes a point that they not stick around too long.

Another Marion scene occurs after they climb up the waterfall. Indy jumps first, and yells for the others to follow. Marion leaps first- right into his arms.

It's also worth noting that Indy and Marion are slightly more affectionate to each other after the jungle chase. In addition to holding hands, Marion is frequently moving to stand beside Indy or lock her arm in his.

James

|ZiR| said:
So apparently beneath the pyramid there was an entire city, though in film it seemed like there were only a few chambers to me. Huh.

This would've probably been my biggest wish for the film. Reading the book, it feels like Indy and his group have discovered a vast underground complex. Just a single matte painting would've been enough to convey this onscreen. It would've also contributed greatly to the idea that they were actually in a giant mothership.

Other tidbits:

At one point, Indy and Mac must dodge aside to avoid a giant water turbine that is rolling down a corridor.

The snake scene is much shorter, and Indy doesn't ask for Mutt to "call it a rope". It ends with him claiming, "I think my toe just touched the bottom". Marion and Mutt then scream at him to grab the snake, and he does.

The cemetery fight is slightly longer, as is the Ugha warrior encounter. At one point, Indy stops and uncoils his whip along the length of the stairs behind him- waiting to defend against the threat. But when a huge number burst through the doorway, he retreats after the others.

Last edited:
James said:
There's also one I forgot to add, where Indy and Mutt stake out Indy's house. After Indy is confident that it's safe, they go in and research Oxley's letter. But Indy makes a point that they not stick around too long.

Nice... I was always bothered by them simply going back to his house, although the KGB-agents might very well be waiting there for them.

I really hope some of these scenes end up on the DVD... well, first of all I hope that more than just a handful of them were filmed at all.

Jim Tigernuts

Most of these scenes would have been really good additions?*seems like they were probably included in the rough cut, but removed after the negative press about the film being over 2hrs and 20 min. I wish they'd kept them in.

DaveTheHutt

I don't think the film was ever 2h20m - that was a misunderstanding based on someone knowing the film came on 7 reels (each of which holds about 20 mins of film) and doing a generous calculation...

And I wouldn't take the scenes from the novelization as proof of anything being filmed - stuff may have been planned but Spielberg is famous for spontaneously changing or even deleting intended scenes, while the film novelization authors often add stuff to pad out the book or make stuff that works visually more apparent on the page.

Take the Marion and the tree moment - this may have been scripted but Spielberg obviously felt it was enough just to see her look, or the author may have added her lines to make it clearer on the page... we don't know.

I doubt few if any of these scenes exists in filmed state - Spielberg tends to be very tight on his shoots, especially those for Indy.

James

DaveTheHutt said:
I doubt few if any of these scenes exists in filmed state - Spielberg tends to be very tight on his shoots, especially those for Indy.

Yes, I tried to only include things which felt like they were taken from the script- not necessarily filmed. This is why I included the dialogue and those that are supported by concept art.

The Crowing 90

Stork said:
In the book 'The Complete making of Indiana Jones' They write that they had built the hydraulic tilting disk along with hydraulic trap door. So the set was built to film the trap door scene. The grave yard scene was anticlimactic so I hope the whip scene, Mutt throwing the knife, and the trap door with the chamber disintegrating behind them as they escape is included in a deleted scenes disk so I can edited them into my own "Extended version" thus making me a happier Indy 4 fan!(y)
Robert

And I would love a copy of that Extended cut if you made one! That would be awesome to see! (y)

robweiner8

Was there supposed to be a scene that takes place in New Mexico? I was reading the article "Indiana Jones and the Computer Genrerated Jungle" and saw this "...which finds Jones traipsing from New England to New Mexico, Peru and the Amazon. Working on the Indy franchise for the first time was a daunting task for the low-key effects guru." I also saw New Mexico listed as a place Indy goes in KotCS in a number of other places.

James

I believe the Area 51 stuff was filmed in New Mexico, so that's probably what they're referring to.

Grizzlor

There must be tons of deleted scenes, because the editing was ghastly. Seemed like a real lot was cut out.

jazzycmk

I don't know if this was a deleted scene or not, but I was somewhat surprised they didn't somehow work in Marion's drinking prowess.

That could have been another way to reintroduce her. Although I liked her appearing and saying "Indiana Jones" just like she had in "Raiders", it would have been amusing if the first time we see her she's drinking Schnapps with the Russian soldiers and putting them under the table.

I guess being a mother and all now, she's trying to set a better example for her son.

Avilos

jazzycmk said:
I don't know if this was a deleted scene or not, but I was somewhat surprised they didn't somehow work in Marion's drinking prowess.

That could have been another way to reintroduce her. Although I liked her appearing and saying "Indiana Jones" just like she had in "Raiders", it would have been amusing if the first time we see her she's drinking Schnapps with the Russian soldiers and putting them under the table.

I guess being a mother and all now, she's trying to set a better example for her son.

Shia asked Karen if she saw Marion as an alcoholic. Karen said she was not. That she simply had a high tolerance of Alcohol. Which she exploited to make money while she was stuck in Nepal. But out of that situation she did not drink. I will take Karen Allen's word on that.

redflame35

Whipping the Cemetery warriors knife

indykotcsvx7la3.jpg

And this scene proves it was filmed

026-2.jpg

There is also a scene where the Russian goons hold macs head in front of a lorries wheel (area 51) but cant find the pic..it is on here somewhere...EDIT found it but not very clear it is the top right hand picture....

indyspoliers003-1.jpg

Last edited: