What's Harrison Ford doing these days?

IndyForever

kongisking said:
So condemn the series to death, then? Star Wars gets to live on till that asteroid hits and kills us all, but Indiana Jones, a movie series that frankly is much better than the vast majority of Star Wars fiction, has to die out?

You think an Indy movie without Ford automatically means dumbing it down for tweens. Nope, that's Star Wars' problem, since that series has such insane fundamental kid appeal (look, lasers! spaceships! aliens! Wheee!) that it takes actual effort to treat the material seriously anymore.

Indy, in contrast, is much more of an adult property. Yes, KOTCS tried the whole 'dumb it down for kids' routine, but the haters did their job well in slandering it as an utter failure that murdered the series. So, for a reboot, they'd HAVE to darken it up, otherwise...what would indeed be the point?

So, you should be thrilled at the idea of a reboot. Clean slate and all that lovely jazz. An, ahem, "return to form", even.
Harrison IS the series that's the massive problem Disney have. Reboots are losing box office clout as audiences are getting fed up with bland, pointless, remakes.

If Spielberg is not interested a Frank Marshall directed Harrison Ford Indy 5 would work very well (y)

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
For fun, I am now going to preface every mention of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and/or Indy V as a 'Septuagenarian Strokefest'. Those fans who post pictures of Ford like this is TMZ will hereby be known as Strokers.

sport-stroke-stroking-boat-boats-races-ggm080202l.jpg

Olliana

IndyForever said:
Its the call from George Lucas telling Harrison he never ever worked on Indy 5 at all it was just a BS tactic to divert attention away from Star Wars being sold to Disney :hat: ....... if you want more Indy first you have to play Han Solo job again :whip:

1.png

"I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

2.png

"No Harrison! I'm just kidd..." *beep beep beep...*

Gear

To me, the best thing for the Indy series would be to acknowledge Harry as the actor that brought to life an epic role on the silver screen, but also accept that that time in his career is over. He indulged in stepping into the character on film one last time 19 years after the trilogy wrapped up, but I think doing so again now would be more of a caricature than it was joked about then, even though I was thrilled to see it.

I think a lot of people that are hostile to anyone but Harry playing Indy are perhaps too comfortable with that connection. It's a threat to this hero of theirs. It's an encroachment on their fond memories which make up their own identity. I understand, I have a hard time imagining him not wearing the hat, as well. And of course, you don't wanna see a Shia LeBouf becoming the next Indy.

That being said, that doesn't mean the adventures of Indiana Jones have to retire with Harrison Ford. It's not like they have anyway, over the years. I'm sure there's the creative minds, talent and energy out there to tell many more great and fresh stories of Indy on film, at some point. New actors can embody the characters (it is called "acting", after all), and Ford will be remembered in high esteem as the first to play that role.

These days Harrison Ford is being celebrated as the only Indiana Jones (so far)... and trying not to break himself more on set.

Silvor

FSRMwjy.jpg

And if you needed more proof that Harrison is doing great these days just look at this even more recent pic.
He's already walking again less than six weeks after he broke his leg!

Get Star Wars out of the way as quickly as possible and on to Indy 5 (We all know that was his condition to do more SW :p)

foreignerfred

Silvor said:
FSRMwjy.jpg

And if you needed more proof that Harrison is doing great these days just look at this even more recent pic.

Thank you for posting this, Silvor!

Encouragement for Episode 7 AND Indy 5 for me.

Grizzlor

Wow, was that really taken this week??? I know the original reports said he'd be back in 6-8 weeks, but then we heard all the doom and gloom.

Silvor said:
FSRMwjy.jpg

Get Star Wars out of the way as quickly as possible and on to Indy 5 (We all know that was his condition to do more SW :p)

Tough guy Harry looks great, looks like he as toned up for star wars, film it then get started on Indy 5 please..

Dr. Gonzo

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3IAOJn4l1Ls?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kongisking

Dr. Gonzo said:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3IAOJn4l1Ls?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I may not have hope either, but at least they freakin' care, y'know...

Finn

Staff member
There's one mistake these "Ford can still do it" folks do. They approach the issue from the POV of a die-hard fan of either the man, the character, or both - when they really should approach it from that of an average moviegoer.

Again, the difference between Star Wars and Indiana Jones is that Star Wars is an universe. It's not a single character. Han Solo is not Star Wars, Luke Skywalker is not Star Wars. But Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones.

Han Solo can be old. He can shift from one of the heroes to a mentor character just like Obi-Wan did - and still get a piece of the action, even if the younger faces will handle the brunt of it. The kids won't naturally mind the old guy in the mix, and neither will the grownups, as long as the familiar universe they know and love is still there. It will be exactly like the old times.

But... Indiana Jones can't be old. Just can't. It does not resonate with the kids. And no matter how hard they try to hide Harry's age, the grownups will see the difference too. Definitely not like the old times.

So yeah. One is marketable. The other isn't.

Of course, for a die-hard fan like most of us, it's different. We will go squee over any sight of Ford in a fedora, even if he's got the wrinkles. But Disney won't make an Indy 5 for us hardcore fans alone. And therefore, they won't make an Indy 5 with Ford as the lead.

It's pretty simple math, when you take your fanboy goggles off a moment and look at the board again. Especially after KotCS was panned somewhat, why risk a double flop by doing a film where you use every trick in the book to hide the main man's age, when you can just recast and give everyone a proper adventure?

kongisking

IndyForever said:
Harrison IS the series that's the massive problem Disney have. Reboots are losing box office clout as audiences are getting fed up with bland, pointless, remakes.

A reboot of Indy would not be pointless, and hopefully not bland. It would be rescuing the series from premature death. If every fan was as stubborn as the 'no Ford, no movie!' crowd about, say, Mr. Bond...that series would have ended with Connery, and I doubt Bond would have remained such an iconic, timeless action hero to this day.

Characters are characters. Fictional, open to a billion interpretations. To reboot every couple decades or so is entirely a logical, even smart way to keep the brand alive, in my opinion. And given the current series with Ford has existed since the 80's, and KOTCS' ending does act as a nice little 'happily ever after' for this Indy...a reboot seems like a no-brainer from just the perspective of 'how do we breathe new life into the series?'

Find a young, talented guy to take the fedora, set it back in WWII-era, have him go after typical religious artifacts, and ker-blam...the basics of the series that everyone adores will have returned, and the fans will become rapturous. And as for the uninitiated...who knows what will happen.

I'd even go so far as to say...if a reboot is to truly work, the new actor for Indy should NOT just emulate the Ford take on Indy. Try something different, out-of-the-box, special.

In other words...be god-dang creative, for once.

Olliana

Finn said:
There's one mistake these "Ford can still do it" folks do. They approach the issue from the POV of a die-hard fan of either the man, the character, or both - when they really should approach it from that of an average moviegoer.

Again, the difference between Star Wars and Indiana Jones is that Star Wars is an universe. It's not a single character. Han Solo is not Star Wars, Luke Skywalker is not Star Wars. But Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones.

Han Solo can be old. He can shift from one of the heroes to a mentor character just like Obi-Wan did - and still get a piece of the action, even if the younger faces will handle the brunt of it. The kids won't naturally mind the old guy in the mix, and neither will the grownups, as long as the familiar universe they know and love is still there. It will be exactly like the old times.

But... Indiana Jones can't be old. Just can't. It does not resonate with the kids. And no matter how hard they try to hide Harry's age, the grownups will see the difference too. Definitely not like the old times.

So yeah. One is marketable. The other isn't.

Of course, for a die-hard fan like most of us, it's different. We will go squee over any sight of Ford in a fedora, even if he's got the wrinkles. But Disney won't make an Indy 5 for us hardcore fans alone. And therefore, they won't make an Indy 5 with Ford as the lead.

It's pretty simple math, when you take your fanboy goggles off a moment and look at the board again. Especially after KotCS was panned somewhat, why risk a double flop by doing a film where you use every trick in the book to hide the main man's age, when you can just recast and give everyone a proper adventure?

There's one mistake you do.

The difference between Star Wars and Indiana Jones is that Star Wars is and always was a kids movie. Indy not so much. People are still raving on this "old guys can still kick some ass"-thing, and there actually is an audience for movies like Expendables, Taken, Taken Again and Taken On A Plane.

Indy can be old and don't you forget, KOTCS was never panned because of Harrison Ford's age, but for entirely different reasons really, and it was anything but a box office bomb nonetheless.

Gear

I remember when it was announced that Daniel Craig was to take on the role of James Bond, people seemed to be unhappy with the pick. Resistant. People I knew were, at least. A couple of Bond films later, the people I know who were skeptical had turned around and enjoyed the movies, appreciated the acting and the story.

Maybe this reboot/new actor issue will be like a micro-scale desegregation thing that only effects the fanboy world; All the people that adamantly opposed it look silly in hindsight and if they don't accept it, will be the subject of jokes and awkward family gatherings.

Hanselation

Have a look at the end of this tunnel, that is also where hope ends.

OdZXx.gif

At least there you will see Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones 5 for sure! (y)

IndyForever

kongisking said:
A reboot of Indy would not be pointless, and hopefully not bland. It would be rescuing the series from premature death. If every fan was as stubborn as the 'no Ford, no movie!' crowd about, say, Mr. Bond...that series would have ended with Connery, and I doubt Bond would have remained such an iconic, timeless action hero to this day.
Bond can be a series Ian Fleming wrote a lot of stories. Indiana Jones is not a series at all & was never meant to be considered as such either. Huge difference. Look how much material has been created for Star Wars, Star Trek 007 etc etc then look how little has been created for Indiana Jones!
Characters are characters. Fictional, open to a billion interpretations. To reboot every couple decades or so is entirely a logical, even smart way to keep the brand alive, in my opinion. And given the current series with Ford has existed since the 80's, and KOTCS' ending does act as a nice little 'happily ever after' for this Indy...a reboot seems like a no-brainer from just the perspective of 'how do we breathe new life into the series?'
Its also a no brainer to have Harrison star in 2 more movies as per his alleged contract with Disney :whip:

Find a young, talented guy to take the fedora, set it back in WWII-era, have him go after typical religious artifacts, and ker-blam...the basics of the series that everyone adores will have returned, and the fans will become rapturous. And as for the uninitiated...who knows what will happen.
Reality check those actors do not exist anymore. Harrison IS forever Indiana Jones as George Lucas said a reboot would be "Mutt Williams & the search for Elvis or something"
http://www.vulture.com/2008/08/on_second_thought_shia_labeouf.html

I'd even go so far as to say...if a reboot is to truly work, the new actor for Indy should NOT just emulate the Ford take on Indy. Try something different, out-of-the-box, special.
Reboots do not work they are designed to earn money for the lowest possible budget to create them & trade on goodwill from the series. Reboots have never ever been a creative medium BTW! They are purely cynical business driven decisions.

In other words...be god-dang creative, for once.
It would be totally pointless there has not been a single rebooted project which has got close to achieving the same creative quality as the original in the last 10 years the talent to create this simply does not exist anymore its all about casting relative unknowns who are cheap then throwing all the budget at pointless eye candy VFX to cover the weak storylines & bland dialog (n)

Young Indiana Jones showed how the series does not really work without Harrison as the lead actor. It was a history lesson show more than anything else & never appealed to the mainstream audiences as Harrison IS Indiana Jones :whip:

I hope Harrison has a cast iron contract to get 2 more Indiana Jones movies as the lead actor. I have warmed to the idea that if Spielberg is not directing then Frank Marshall is the perfect replacement as he directed so much of the 4 movies anyway as 2nd unit director.

Frank Marshall + Harrison with Spielberg/Lucas producing & John Willliams scoring could still work very well indeed (y)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Gear said:
Maybe this reboot/new actor issue will be like a micro-scale desegregation thing that only effects the fanboy world; All the people that adamantly opposed it look silly in hindsight and if they don't accept it, will be the subject of jokes and awkward family gatherings.

Are 30-50 year old men still considered Fanboys?