Godzilla (2014)

kongisking

Please forgive me, fellow loyal worshipers of the mighty Kong, but I actually enjoy Godzilla movies too (well, some of them. A lot are quite honestly awful). And I've been looking forward to someone doing a remake properly. Can this be the one we've been waiting for?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ECUbuBrbP1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WilliamBoyd8

Kind of looks like this fellow:

Beast_Rhedosaurus.jpg

:)

Spurlock

Saw the trailer earlier today, thought it was done pretty well. The trailer that is. For the actual film, we'll need more information to decide whether this initial opinion was due to a lucky marketing blunder or has a true foundation.

I liked the reluctance to feed out CGI brains, to keep suspense, and mostly how quiet the movie was. Most trailers, similar or not to this genre are loud, explosive, choreographed extravaganzas, but this trailer didn't feel the need to be included. That's what really set it apart for me.

Still, it might be a bad movie. Don't know yet.

Stoo

kongisking said:
Please forgive me, fellow loyal worshipers of the mighty Kong, but I actually enjoy Godzilla movies too (well, some of them. A lot are quite honestly awful).
No shame in that, since Godzilla is part of the territory. After all, our giant ape fought & beat the giant lizard.:)
kongisking said:
And I've been looking forward to someone doing a remake properly. Can this be the one we've been waiting for?
Well, changing the location from Japan to the States isn't a good start for a 'proper remake'. The '98 version did that and, to me, it just didn't feel like a Godzilla movie, even with all the city-smashing.

That said, the trailer for this new one looks pretty good.:)
WilliamBoyd8 said:
Kind of looks like this fellow:

Beast_Rhedosaurus.jpg
Yes! That's exactly what I thought!:D The first "Godzilla" movie from 1954 is good but "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" is better than all Godzilla movies combined.

Heck, if they're going to make the monster look like "The Beast" AND have the film take place in North America, this flick is essentially a remake of "20,000 Fathoms"!:p

kongisking

featofstrength said:
trailer was good up til I saw "written by David Goyer."

oh well...no Ferris Bueller at least...

So in other words, trailer was good? Since that came at the very end of it? :p

But yes, no Broderick is a plus this time.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
No shame in that, since Godzilla is part of the territory. After all, our giant ape fought & beat the giant lizard.:)

I hope you aren't referring that silly thing that ended up with both 'em rolling down a hill, and only Kong emerged from the water. I call that a tie. Big G obviously lives in the Pacific!

Well, changing the location from Japan to the States isn't a good start for a 'proper remake'. The '98 version did that and, to me, it just didn't feel like a Godzilla movie, even with all the city-smashing.

I agree, but with a couple of qualifications. San Francisco, as a Pacific Rim city, makes sense; at least Godzilla would have a...um, muscle memory of the city's existence unlike New York City a half a world away.

The '98 version didn't suffer because of the change in location. It suffered because there wasn't a point to the damn movie outside of wanton destruction and the Superior Firepower of the American Race. Gone was the trauma of Nagasaki and Hiroshima and the environmental subtext common to other entries in the series. Killing Godzilla at the end of that travesty misses the whole point of the character.

'murica!

Plus, the Americans created Godzilla by detonating the A-Bomb, so, by all rights, he should be leveling the States with glee. They deserve it.

So, anyway, I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be my feel good movie of the year!

Fun fact: David Strathairn's brother was my 7th grade English teacher. For Christmas one year, he gave us all autographed pictures. I think I still have it somewhere, but it's just what every pre-teen (or is that teen?) wanted! An autographed picture of a character actor we probably hadn't even heard of yet!

Now, before I go find first gear in my giant robot car, does anybody own a tee-shirt press?

i-godzilla-tokyo.jpg

I have a version of that shirt, but I've been wanting to chance it to 'Frisco ever since I heard of the movie's location.

Titan Engage!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F60SIralWks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spectre

Stoo said:

That said, the trailer for this new one looks pretty good.:)
Yes! That's exactly what I thought!:D The first "Godzilla" movie from 1954 is good but "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" is better than all Godzilla movies combined.

Heck, if they're going to make the monster look like "The Beast" AND have the film take place in North America, this flick is essentially a remake of "20,000 Fathoms"!:p

I disagree, unless you're referring to the US cut of the film.

Go watch Gojira with the subtitles and come back with a report. ....

Beast was EPIC, and in my top 10 monster flicks--but Gojira is #2 right behind the 1933 Kong.

The second Godzilla film was almost as good--Gigantis the Fire Monster. I love all of the Big G films!!!
Yes, they got campy in the late 60s when he got "kid friendly," but still cool. Even in Smog Monster when he FLEW....lol.

This new one looks very promising. He looks right. From what I've read, the story goes back to his nuclear roots--so it should be decent.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
I hope you aren't referring that silly thing that ended up with both 'em rolling down a hill, and only Kong emerged from the water. I call that a tie. Big G obviously lives in the Pacific!
Nah, Kong was the winner!:gun: Godzilla drowned!:dead: (Though, I'm still trying to track down the "supposed" Japanese version where Godzilla wins!)
Spectre said:
I disagree, unless you're referring to the US cut of the film.

Go watch Gojira with the subtitles and come back with a report. ....

Beast was EPIC, and in my top 10 monster flicks--but Gojira is #2 right behind the 1933 Kong.
Spectre, I have both versions of the 1954 Jap & U.S. "Gojira/Godzilla" film. As I've already said, it's good but "Beast From?" is better in my books.;)

Spectre

Stoo said:
Nah, Kong was the winner!:gun: Godzilla drowned!:dead: (Though, I'm still trying to track down the "supposed" Japanese version where Godzilla wins!)
Spectre, I have both versions of the 1954 Jap & U.S. "Gojira/Godzilla" film. As I've already said, it's good but "Beast From?" is better in my books.;)

Ahhhh---good. At least you've seen the unmolested version...lol.
Much darker--and better.

Gotta admit, the roller coaster scene in Beast is epic.

kongisking

Stoo said:

There is no such thing as a Japanese version where Godzilla wins. That's a very, very, very annoyingly persistent urban legend. So rest assured, in every case, my man Kong whooped the supposed "King" of the Monsters!

And I have not seen Beast from 20,000 Fathoms yet, sadly. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, though. Harryhausen's magic touch has no equal, other than the great Willis O'Brien himself. I think I prefer Gojira mostly because the whole fact it's an anti-nuclear film made by the very country that alone suffered from such a weapon gives it a political poignancy that elevates it from mere "creature feature."

Spectre

kongisking said:
There is no such thing as a Jap version where Godzilla wins. That's a very, very, very annoyingly persistent urban legend. So rest assured, in every case, my man Kong whooped the supposed "King" of the Monsters!

YES--there is!!!

When I was ststioned in Japan from 1991-1994, I saw that version. I rented it from a local video store.

It's basically the same film, but at the end when they both plummet into the sea--you can hear Godzilla's roar.
Neither actually wins--they both just survive the battle.

kongisking

Spectre said:
YES--there is!!!

When I was ststioned in Japan from 1991-1994, I saw that version. I rented it from a local video store.

It's basically the same film, but at the end when they both plummet into the sea--you can hear Godzilla's roar.
Neither actually wins--they both just survive the battle.

That is in every single version of the movie released, not unique to a cut available in Japan. The roar was to signify that Godzilla wasn't dead. But having Kong swim away from the fight unscathed was meant to show that he had defeated Godzilla fair and square. You misinterpreted that ending, man. Plus, the "urban legend" I speak of is one claiming that there really were TWO filmed endings, giving each country's monster the clear winning outcome. Which is complete nonsense.

But then again, this IS the movie that had Kong shoot lightning like Electro. So it's not really an accurate portrayal of what monster would really win in such a fight. Accurately, Kong would (it pains me to say) be squished like an ant by Godzilla, who is hundreds of feet taller than Kong was in the classic '33 film.

But then again, this IS King Kong we're talking about. That badass sonuvab**** would probably climb up Godzilla's back like Kratos in God of War and tear out his eyeballs before leaping down his throat, lodging himself, and making Godzilla choke to death.

Peter Jackson, get the heck out of Middle-Earth and make THAT movie!

Last edited:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
But then again, this IS King Kong we're talking about. That badass sonuvab**** would probably climb up Godzilla's back like Kratos in God of War and tear out his eyeballs before leaping down his throat, lodging himself, and making Godzilla choke to death.

If there was a petition I would've signed it years ago. (If only to stop him from making bloated Hobbit movies).

A Peter Jackson King Kong vs Godzilla set in the 1930s with all the love and attention he gave to his 2005 film. The only question is timeline. Can't be a prequel, and can't be a sequel unless Beauty only stunned the Beast.

Bring forth the son of Kong, or his cousin twice removed:

Kkvsg.jpg

Spectre

kongisking said:
That is in every single version of the movie released, not unique to a cut available in Japan. The roar was to signify that Godzilla wasn't dead. But having Kong swim away from the fight unscathed was meant to show that he had defeated Godzilla fair and square. You misinterpreted that ending, man. Plus, the "urban legend" I speak of is one claiming that there really were TWO filmed endings, giving each country's monster the clear winning outcome. Which is complete nonsense.

But then again, this IS the movie that had Kong shoot lightning like Electro. So it's not really an accurate portrayal of what monster would really win in such a fight. Accurately, Kong would (it pains me to say) be squished like an ant by Godzilla, who is hundreds of feet taller than Kong was in the classic '33 film.

Agreed--I misinterpreted it.
I know what you mean about the "urban legend" film--there is none!

Just two cuts of the same film. The Japanese version has a few more scenes, but NOT a different ending...like most believe.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
If there was a petition I would've signed it years ago. (If only to stop him from making bloated Hobbit movies).

I get that. Even though I've mostly been really enjoying the Hobbit films, they are failing so far to capture the grandeur and mythic emotion of the old trilogy. But hey, it's a damn better job at a prequel trilogy than that other one, I'm sure we'll agree...

Montana Smith said:
A Peter Jackson King Kong vs Godzilla set in the 1930s with all the love and attention he gave to his 2005 film. The only question is timeline. Can't be a prequel, and can't be a sequel unless Beauty only stunned the Beast.

Bring forth the son of Kong, or his cousin twice removed:

Kkvsg.jpg

The timeline issue makes such a pairing, at least one canon with Jackson's 2005 film, impossible without being a huge jumping of the shark (or, you'll like this, a nuking of the fridge. :rolleyes: ). But a Jackson-directed Son of Kong would be fascinating to see. Ever seen the real Son of Kong that was an actual sequel to the classic movie? It really aint that bad. If anything, it's to King Kong what KOTCS is to Raiders. Wait, you'll definitely hate it then...:p

Spectre said:
Agreed--I misinterpreted it.
I know what you mean about the "urban legend" film--there is none!

Just two cuts of the same film. The Japanese version has a few more scenes, but NOT a different ending...like most believe.

Lovely. I was honestly a little disturbed to see supposed proof that that aggravating rumor was still alive and well. Frankly don't understand how it lasted for as long as it did...

Spectre

kongisking said:
I get that. Even though I've mostly been really enjoying the Hobbit films, they are failing so far to capture the grandeur and mythic emotion of the old trilogy. But hey, it's a damn better job at a prequel trilogy than that other one, I'm sure we'll agree...

The timeline issue makes such a pairing, at least one canon with Jackson's 2005 film, impossible without being a huge jumping of the shark (or, you'll like this, a nuking of the fridge. :rolleyes: ). But a Jackson-directed Son of Kong would be fascinating to see. Ever seen the real Son of Kong that was an actual sequel to the classic movie? It really aint that bad. If anything, it's to King Kong what KOTCS is to Raiders. Wait, you'll definitely hate it then...:p

Lovely. I was honestly a little disturbed to see supposed proof that that aggravating rumor was still alive and well. Frankly don't understand how it lasted for as long as it did...

There were rumors of a Jackson Son of Kong at one point. Would be nice to see it happen. The original had its moments. Sure, Junior was just a big baby--but saved Denham at the end. The treasure and going back to the island was a nice story.
Could have done without the girl--too annoying, like Capshaw in ToD...lol.

Stoo

kongisking said:
The timeline issue makes such a pairing, at least one canon with Jackson's 2005 film, impossible without being a huge jumping of the shark (or, you'll like this, a nuking of the fridge. :rolleyes: ).
Nah, this ape is from 30 years AFTER the King died AND from a different island. The giant gorilla who fights Godzilla ain't the same Kong we know & love. Even though this Kong wins the fight, the story is a direct continuation of the '50s Godzilla movies.
kongisking said:
But a Jackson-directed Son of Kong would be fascinating to see. Ever seen the real Son of Kong that was an actual sequel to the classic movie? It really aint that bad. If anything, it's to King Kong what KOTCS is to Raiders. Wait, you'll definitely hate it then...:p
If you guys want to discuss of remake "Son of Kong", I'm totally for it but, please, let's do it in another thread. There are 5 or 6 (out of 8) that would be better suited. Yes?:confused:
kongisking said:
SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION: I should not have written "supposed version where Godzilla wins". That rumour just keeps sticking in my head. What I meant was: The Japanese version of the film which I've never seen.
Spectre said:
As far as I'm aware, both Jap & US versions have unique stuff. You need both films to get ALL OF THE FOOTAGE.

(I'm interested because of the Giant Ape, not for Godzilla.)
kongisking said:
And I have not seen Beast from 20,000 Fathoms yet, sadly. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, though. Harryhausen's magic touch has no equal, other than the great Willis O'Brien himself. I think I prefer Gojira mostly because the whole fact it's an anti-nuclear film made by the very country that alone suffered from such a weapon gives it a political poignancy that elevates it from mere "creature feature."
What?:confused: Can't believe you haven't seen "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" yet, Kongisking. I understand what you're saying about the "political poignancy" but how can you "prefer Gojira" when you haven't seen The Beast?:confused: Gojira/Godzilla is a Japanese rip-off of The Beast. One has to wonder if the 1954 "Godzilla" would have even been MADE if it weren't for the The Beast a year earlier? As I've said, this upcoming movie appears to be a remake of The Beast with a popular name-change. The Beast. The Beast. THE BEAST!:eek:

Check this:
A prehistoric animal is revived by radiation. It swims from the sea and stomps over the coast and then destroys a major city. Lots of people die. Scientists & the military kill it. Sound familiar? "The Beast of 20,000 Fathoms".:gun:

"The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" from 1953 has MUCH more screen time than the 1954 "Godzilla" & has wa-a-a-y better special effects!(y)

RUN out and watch it NOW!

The Beast! The Beast! The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms!:eek:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mTGMc-QPBlw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kongisking

I guess I never found the time to do so, Stoo. But you're indignation compels me to try and track it down somehow...:p

And I should amend my statement: It would be more sensible for me to say that even after watching Beast, I'd likely still prefer Gojira for it's cultural relevancy. I'm well aware that it's more-or-less a total rip-off. But hey, no denying Godzilla has a infinitely cooler design. Maybe that's why he got sequels...:D

Stoo

kongisking said:
But hey, no denying Godzilla has a infinitely cooler design. Maybe that's why he got sequels...:D
This I totally disagree with. The Beast's build & movements are much more anatomically realistic than Godzilla's lumbering, rubber suit (which is why this upcoming version is more pleasing to the eye). Godzilla's classic roar is great, though!

However, I dug out my copies of "Gojira" and "20,000 Fathoms" and watched them both back-to-back and will concede that "Gojira" is the better film overall. While "Fathoms" has higher quality effects, it doesn't have the dramatic, anti-nuke message that the original "Gojira" film has. The scientist's inner turmoil about using his secret weapon is what raises the movie to a superior level.

"20,000 Fathoms" is still worth watching, though, so I hope you get a chance to see it someday.;)