Blade Runner 2049

Z dweller

SPOILER WARNING.

A closer look at the technlogy behind that cameo.

For me it was actually the weakest moment in the movie visually, screaming "CGI !!!" from a mile away and not quite pulling it off.

Admittedly, I have watched the original so many times that I know every frame by heart, so it was always going to be a tough sell.

Hanselation

Box Office

So now the gross is higher than the budget (150,000,000 $) -> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/business?ref_=tt_dt_bus

For such an heavy stuff regarding watching it, I'm impressed that the box office covers the production costs within only two weeks.

It is not easy entertainment but visually and philosophical very demanding and interesting. Very different to the standard blockbuster movies.
In a positive way I'm wondering that so many people are interested in this kind of stuff.

Fo me this movie is a great kind of art.

Great because it's different!

IndyBuff

I'm glad it at least seems to be recouping its initial losses. I know that the box office ultimately doesn't determine whether a film is good or bad but it's always nice to see a smart film like this do well, especially given the obvious love and care that was poured into it.

Z dweller

For box office updates, this website is pretty cool and you can drill down to a regional breakdown.

There are all kinds of figures being circulated on internet for the actual BR2 budget including marketing. The highest I've seen is $300 mio, which seems way too high to me.

The movie opens in China next week, let's hope it does well there.
I really wouldn't want them to lose money on such a lovingly crafted project. (y)

roundshort

I really really really wanted to like this movie. So much I even went to see it in the theaters, something that never happens. But Alas, I didnt care for it much. It was a little too full of itself. Maybe if it was 130 minutes.....

It seemed the spent the entire movie setting up sequels for a big skinjob revolt. One of which no one will ever see or even want to.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't say never, never is a long time. For instance cable tv is kicking around 3001: The Final Odyssey.

I enjoyed wandering around in this world, versus seeing multiple outtakes and versions over many years. That was my big issue before seeing it, trying to remember which version of Blade Runner I had seen and where. I still don't know which disc release to buy. Apparently WB has made a bundle on them or we wouldn't have this sequel. I predict 2049 has a long shelf life and breaks even.

My lingering questions: was the pawn show guy kidding about the value of wood, if not what's that dead tree in the desert worth? And how does Deckard's dog avoid the tripwires?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's insulting to expect viewers of intelligent science fiction can't collate deleted scenes into the story they know. This problem goes back 40 years when Spielberg profitably recut Close Encounters. The same happened to Star Wars and Superman and Alien, where Ridley Scott added 4 minutes and subtracted 5 for DVD. He still can't decide which version he likes best. Maybe he doesn't have the time to rewatch both either.

IndyBuff

Z dweller said:
And on that note, I wonder if this version will ever see the light?

?Blade Runner 2049? Was First Cut Into A Four-Hour, Two-Part Epic (But We?ll Never See This Version)

I know I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

I'd be curious to see this, as I felt the film pretty much justified its length. Granted, I think 10 minutes or so probably could have been shaved, but overall I didn't find myself bored or my mind wandering during most of the film. I've love to see what an extended cut would contribute.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
A quick read for you guys, I know you'd struggle with anything longer. :p

Just because I don't like to watch paint dry, doesn't mean I have a short attention span. LOL

Why do you think services like HULU/NETFLIX/PRIME etc. are succeeding? We can binge watch good content for days at a time. The Mona Lisa is art (as is Blade 2049), but I don't need to study her for 4 hours.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I figured it out, Deckard probably spent his time like Jack Nicholson in As Good as it Gets training his dog to step over tripwires.

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
The Mona Lisa is art (as is Blade 2049), but I don't need to study her for 4 hours.
In my best Rex Harrison voice:

Fair do's, old boy. And that's where our views differ.

(Pale) Horses for courses.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
A very good analysis of 2049 in relation to the original.

DISCLAIMER: for BR geeks only.

The theological brilliance of Blade Runner 2049

....The weightier questions in 2049 percolate more organically: Do we need free will to function, or only its simulacrum? Can someone else's memory lead us to truth about our own lives? Would learning that our souls are synthetic change anything about our lives? How much of a creator can we glimpse in her creations?...

And, after the film, me and my buddies did enjoy a few hours with these and similar questions.