Movies that were considered flops, but you consider a success!

RocketSledFight

I gobble up anything that deals with a post-apocalyptic environment, particularly when its of the "one man survivor" genre, like Mad Max or the Fallout games. Waterworld would fall under this category, and it's got weaknesses (read: Bloated, bloated film) it's also fun and has a multitude of character moments that have always stuck with me (the crayon scene, the ******* that jumps on the boat to try and sell paper and gets more than what he bargained for).

Snakes

Was Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow a flop? Thats one of my favorite movies.
I didn't think the 2005 Kong was a flop. How much did it make?

RocketSledFight

Snakes said:
Was Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow a flop? Thats one of my favorite movies.
I didn't think the 2005 Kong was a flop. How much did it make?

I liked Sky Captain as well. And I love the 2005 version of Kong despite Waterworld-esque bloatiness.

I have no idea if Silent Hill is considered a flop or not, but it's a movie I love to death that gets none of the credit it deserves. For my money, it's the best adaptation of a video game in terms of tone and atmosphere. The use of music from the games is spot-on.

glorbes

The Rocketeer is one of my most beloved childhood films (I was 10 when it came out). That was a flop, seeing as how it was going up against the like of Terminator 2 that summer. Disney was really hoping to kickstart a franchise with its release, and its obvious they pulled out all the stops on its production. Even with its old-fashioned effects, I still think its a great looking movie, and is very faithful to the spirit of the Dave Stevens comics. Plus, it has Jennifer Connolly, who will forever be one of my celebrity crushes :)

Jackson's King Kongcost about $200 million to make, and that's about what it made in the North American market...considering the success of the LOTR films, I think the distributor saw it as a failure...which is ridiculous, but whatever. It probably would have been more profitable if it had only been two hours long...I liked it a lot, but its running time was really excessive. It could have benefitted from some brutal editing.

RaideroftheArk

The Rocketeer was an awesome movie!

As was Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...

Keeping in that spirit, Alec Baldwin's The Shadow was another good one along the same lines as the two movies above.

Highlander (original) was considered a huge flop that has gained considerable recognition after the series.

Bjorn Heimdall

Serenity is an almost perfect adventure film that didn't even earn back it's budget (I could be wrong though).

Someone mentioned Alien 4, not a perfect film but it was still better then most critics said, just compare them to the crapfests of Alien vs. Predator 1/2 (although that isn't really saying anything.

Funnily enough Josh Whedon also wrote the script to Alien 4, which I only recently found out:hat:

Grizzlor

I don't think the Rocketeer was a flop, everybody I knew had gone to see it. Great movie. I didn't know that Grindhouse was not available as single DVD? That's preposterous, stupid Quentin. Those were some good movies you all listed, and they were mostly all real flops. Not a movie no one saw or heard of, which turned out to be good, but one that was expected to be huge and bombed.

Another one, IMO, was Flight of the Phoenix, in 2004, with Dennis Quaid. Budget was $45 million, and it did just more than $20. I myself thought the trailer looked like a joke. I wish I went to see it, because I saw it on HBO and instantly loved it. A worthy remake of a classic film, finally!

Wikipedia has a list of budgets and US Gross totals, and all films which failed to make at least 50% of the budget in the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films:_U.S._box_office_bombs

About the only ones I liked on this list were Lucky You, Newsies, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The Postman, Red Planet, The Last Castle, Speed 2: Cruise Control, K-19: The Widowmaker, Kingdom of Heaven, Grindhouse, Chain Reaction, Flight of the Intruder, Multiplicity, Santa Claus: The Movie, Escape from L.A., Dark City, and Last Action Hero. Some of these have made a killing in video and DVD sales though.

RaideroftheArk

Did someone on here mention Tron? I do believe that was a failure in disney's eyes...but created such a following. If I'm not mistaken, the movie was denied an oscar nomination for animation because it was felt they "cheated" since the movie was created with mostly computer graphics.

Shortie

Bjorn Heimdall said:
Serenity is an almost perfect adventure film that didn't even earn back it's budget (I could be wrong though).

Someone mentioned Alien 4, not a perfect film but it was still better then most critics said, just compare them to the crapfests of Alien vs. Predator 1/2 (although that isn't really saying anything.

Funnily enough Josh Whedon also wrote the script to Alien 4, which I only recently found out:hat:

I'd rather watch the AVP movies than Alien 4 & (especially) Alien3. Atleast they were fun to watch, AVP2 moreso than 1.

TennesseeKorben

The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford

It was a flop, but it's one of my favorite movies! Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck rock in it.

RaideroftheArk

Shortie said:
I'd rather watch the AVP movies than Alien 4 & (especially) Alien3. Atleast they were fun to watch, AVP2 moreso than 1.

I didn't see AVP2... I heard it was AVP turned into a teen slasher flick.

Either way, I think they need to dump the whole AVP and just bring back stand alone Alien and Predator movies.