Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiders90

Attila the Professor said:
I defer to the YIJC experts to say whether Mutt marrying a woman who Indy and Marion treat as a daughter, Mutt then dying, and the daughter-in-law then remarrying can account for the canon established in the George Hall segments.

I think that's unfortunately stretching credibility. To be honest, based on her looks/voice etc, I always thought Indy's daughter in the YIJC was a child he might've had Willie. She just looks and sounds like her. Nothing like Marion. But then, in the early 1990s, Indy was supposed to marry another woman, not Marion. I'd love if the George Hall segments were put back into the YIJC, and honestly if they were re-released as a typical show with the original episodes in their proper order...But I think sadly Lucas either destroyed the negatives of George Hall, or made his alterations to the YIJC to the original negatives, basically overwriting Hall out of the negative itself (the way he is said to have recut the original 1977 SW negative with his new additions on it, making any future "untouched" release impossible).

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Raiders112390 said:
I think that's unfortunately stretching credibility. To be honest, based on her looks/voice etc, I always thought Indy's daughter in the YIJC was a child he might've had Willie. She just looks and sounds like her. Nothing like Marion. But then, in the early 1990s, Indy was supposed to marry another woman, not Marion. I'd love if the George Hall segments were put back into the YIJC, and honestly if they were re-released as a typical show with the original episodes in their proper order...But I think sadly Lucas either destroyed the negatives of George Hall, or made his alterations to the YIJC to the original negatives, basically overwriting Hall out of the negative itself (the way he is said to have recut the original 1977 SW negative with his new additions on it, making any future "untouched" release impossible).

You do know that Stoo collected all the bookends and posted them up on Youtube right? Or have they been taken by Disney/Lucasfilm?

As for Indy's daughter- I say Mutt's wife who's comfortable enough to call him Dad. Alternatively could even be an adopted daughter or daughter of another wife. I don't personally think Willie though imo. In any case, I doubt that Disney would acknowledge those scenes as canon as Lucasfilm had already previously dumped it from canon with Skull and with the VHS and DVD releases. The Young Indy series as it stands in current form is canon or at least Spring Break Adventure is.

So there still might be the slim chance of a daughter as there needs to be a viable female lead but I just don't think so considering how successful the son was (yes that was sarcasm though personally I don't hate Mutt).

As for killing them off? No- you want to have a big crescendo end for the series. That would leave a sour taste is people's mouths frankly

Udvarnoky

Raiders112390 said:
(the way he is said to have recut the original 1977 SW negative with his new additions on it, making any future "untouched" release impossible).

Although it's apparently true that Lucas applied his "special edition" changes to the negative itself, reference quality prints of the original version still exist and can be used as a source for an HD upgrade. It's actually not uncommon for the negative to be unavailable in the case of restoring older films, although of course in this case what Lucas did was tasteless and avoidable.

More info here: http://arstechnica.com/business/2010/05/star-wars/

Raiders90

Violet said:
You do know that Stoo collected all the bookends and posted them up on Youtube right? Or have they been taken by Disney/Lucasfilm?

AFAIK they're still up. I just mean I'd love to see the original YIJC be restored and released, with the George Hall segments getting touched up and officially released. Stoo's collection is great - but I'd love to see the Hall segments at the same level of video quality as the rest of the series, and I think the episodic format was perhaps better than the "film" format.

As for Indy's daughter- I say Mutt's wife who's comfortable enough to call him Dad. Alternatively could even be an adopted daughter or daughter of another wife. I don't personally think Willie though imo.

I can agree a wife of Mutt might call Indy "Dad." That's plenty common, and given that Indy is an elderly man, it's just respectful.

In any case, I doubt that Disney would acknowledge those scenes as canon as Lucasfilm had already previously dumped it from canon with Skull and with the VHS and DVD releases. The Young Indy series as it stands in current form is canon or at least Spring Break Adventure is.

The one factor that still makes the George Hall segments at least semi-canon is the inclusion of his hand closing his diary at the end of the credits, even in the DVD releases.

So there still might be the slim chance of a daughter as there needs to be a viable female lead but I just don't think so considering how successful the son was (yes that was sarcasm though personally I don't hate Mutt).

Honestly, the more it's talked about, the more I'm fine with the idea of Indy having a daughter in law join him on his last adventure. It'd make for an interesting dynamic to say the least.

As for killing them off? No- you want to have a big crescendo end for the series. That would leave a sour taste is people's mouths frankly

I agree...I was just offering some interesting idea to perhaps induce a darker final chapter. Indy was too nice in KOTCS. I'd like some motivating force to push him back to his gruff anti-hero roots.

Walecs

The more I listen to Rogue One's soundtrack, the more I wish Giacchino did the score for Indy 5.

Skull didn't have a particularly good score (if compared to other Williams' works) and I hated TFA's.

Forbidden Eye

Walecs said:
The more I listen to Rogue One's soundtrack, the more I wish Giacchino did the score for Indy 5.

Skull didn't have a particularly good score (if compared to other Williams' works) and I hated TFA's.

I agree that Skull was his weakest Indy score(and DEFINITELY agree TFA was his weakest SW score) but I want him to score Indy 5 over anybody else. Having someone else doing the score is the same as having someone other than Ford wear the fedora. Just...wrong.

It won't reach his peak sure, but even Kingdom's score has good variety and gets better on repeat listens. Rewatch this trailer which uses Kingdom's highlights.

curmudgeon

Marshall recently had an interview with Moviefone

I know that you're in the early stages of a new "Indiana Jones" movie. Can you give me a sense of where you are in the development process right now?

Just the early stages. David Koepp is our screenwriter and we're all talking, but there's really nothing down on paper yet.

What has you creatively excited about returning to that character?

Again, it's just the team. It's a wonderful team like we had on "Bourne." It's nice to have your friends that you've known. Look, I've known Harrison [Ford] and obviously Steven {Spielberg] and the whole group for 30 years now. So it's nice to have everybody back together as kind of a reunion.

Are you intrigued to see how Harrison rises to the challenge of reprising that role and the physicality of it at this stage of his career?

Listen, I watched him in "Star Wars [The Force Awakens]," and I don't think he's going to have any problem!

Udvarnoky

I mean, we're still 18 months away from when they're presumably going to start filming. Koepp claimed in the fall that he and Spielberg have had active story discussions and had settled on a McGuffin. Sounds like they're on track to me.

Also, until Koepp actually turns in a completed draft, it's not out of the question that Marshall would be out of the loop. Development is probably going to be strictly between Koepp and Spielberg for awhile.

Crystal Skull received script approval in December of 2006, and went before cameras in June 2007. If Marshall is saying "There's nothing on paper" twelve months from now, then I'd be worried, but until then it's early days.

Walecs

Udvarnoky said:
I mean, we're still 18 months away from when they're presumably going to start filming. Koepp claimed in the fall that he and Spielberg have had active story discussions and had settled on a McGuffin. Sounds like they're on track to me.

Also, until Koepp actually turns in a completed draft, it's not out of the question that Marshall would be out of the loop. Development is probably going to be strictly between Koepp and Spielberg for awhile.

Crystal Skull received script approval in December of 2006, and went before cameras in June 2007. If Marshall is saying "There's nothing on paper" twelve months from now, then I'd be worried, but until then it's early days.

While I agree with pretty much every word in your post, I don't think Crystal Skull is the best example considering it had a weak script (and this is coming from someone who likes the movie).

Udvarnoky

I think my feelings about the quality of the Crystal Skull screenplay have been made manifest over the years. I don't see how that makes it any less relevant of an example from a scheduling standpoint.

Pale Horse

Staff member
It relevant due to the passing of the protagonists relationship with his now dead mistress. The sooner they film the less important the release date. They can't film without a script. The wheel in the sky keeps on turning.

IndyBuff

Pale Horse said:
Naysayer mod here. Time to update that release schedule. "Nothing on paper" WTF?!

That has me a bit worried too. I realize they're still two and a half years out from the release date, but when you factor in pre-production, shooting, editing, re-shoots, and all the necessary pieces, it seems weird for them not to have much of a plan at this point. Ford's not getting any younger, either.

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
It relevant due to the passing of the protagonists relationship with his now dead mistress.
Yeah, that's always something to consider when you cast people with advanced age. And she wasn't even that old. He is getting there, though.

And, by the way, next time in plainer English, please? You're confusing the rubes.

Z dweller

Talking about advanced age, did you guys hear the Blade Runner 2049 rumor?

I just a posted a link in the relevant thread: apparently one of the replicants in the original movie is supposed to come back in the upcoming sequel, courtesy of digital de-ageing.

What if it's Deckard himself?

The question is relevant to this thread because, if Ford is willing to be digitally de-aged in BR 2049, what's to stop Disney from asking him to do the same in Indy 5 for at least part of the movie, say some flashback scenes?

Pure speculation of course, and based on no more than a silly internet rumor, but with so long to go before a script is even in the works, we might as well have some fun and discuss the possibility, right? :p

TheFedora

Z dweller said:
Talking about advanced age, did you guys hear the Blade Runner 2049 rumor?

I just a posted a link in the relevant thread: apparently one of the replicants in the original movie is supposed to come back in the upcoming sequel, courtesy of digital de-ageing.

What if it's Deckard himself?

The question is relevant to this thread because, if Ford is willing to be digitally de-aged in BR 2049, what's to stop Disney from asking him to do the same in Indy 5 for at least part of the movie, say some flashback scenes?

Pure speculation of course, and based on no more than a silly internet rumor, but with so long to go before a script is even in the works, we might as well have some fun and discuss the possibility, right? :p

I would not want to see a digitally de-aged Harrison Ford...I saw it kind of worked for Carrie Fisher, but in Ford's case, I would say don't do it.

Lambonius

They didn't de-age Carrie Fisher, they put a recreation of her 19 year old face on a different actor, and had a sound-alike do the voice. Carrie had literally nothing to do with that cameo other than giving permission to use her likeness. Ford would never consent to such a thing though; he famously refused to dye his hair for KOTCS. Digital de-aging seems like the kind of thing he'd be vehemently opposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.