I can't picture Indy as a Dad

Goodeknight

I said:
How would he treat a young child of his own?

Well, he'd most likely treat a young child of his own in much the same way his father treated him.

We do see Indy's parenting skills exhibited with Short Round. He seems a better and more attentive dad than Henry Sr. ...except for the fact he has the little guy drive the getaway car as baddies shoot at them.

Montana Smith

I said:
Mutt really doesn't seem very Indy-like.

But then neither was Indy's father. But at least he was Sean Connery (and Lloyd Owen). Both actors being worthy of the role of Indy's father!

Indy deserved a better class of actor for his own son. Someone with whom fatherly conversations might actually mean something beyond turning the tables on The Last Crusade.

I Don Quixote

But who would be worthy of that role? Indy is a pretty diverse character, while Mutt seems sort of obvious and cliche to me. He really is just like people of that time, while Indy seems ahead of the times.

The Drifter

Why is it when anyone mentions Mutt the character, someone has just gotta bag on Shia the actor?
I like Mutt as Indy's son, regardless of who played him.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Why is it when anyone mentions Mutt the character, someone has just gotta bag on Shia the actor?
I like Mutt as Indy's son, regardless of who played him.

He's a weak actor, which is putting it politely, and that didn't help bringing life to Indy's son.

When good actors couldn't bring themselves to do more than go through the motions we couldn't really expect a poor one to do any better.

It's hard to picture Indy as a father when you can't take the joke playing his son seriously.

I Don Quixote

I liked Crystal Skull, and the screenplay was pretty good. I've only seen Shia in that and Holes, and he doesn't seem too bad. Maybe this was something he just wasn't up to, or maybe he wasn't strong enough an actor for that particular role.
Anyway, back on topic.

Marshall2288

I said:
Mutt really doesn't seem very Indy-like.
And I'm nothing like my father. I liked Mutt's character and I liked his attitude. They did a good job with both writing and v=casting the character.

Montana Smith

Shia was a Disney robot built specifically to appeal to little girls.

So it's hilarious that Spielberg employed him in the belief that he could change his programming to turn him into a hero-in-the-making.

I could have pictured Indy as a father much more easily if Mutt had been a sassy daughter who'd taken after Marion (which would have been more likely since Indy wasn't around). Dealing with two stroppy Marions would have made more headway than with a wussy wannabe wimp who has the temerity to even consider himself as his father's replacement (i.e. try the fedora for size).

If all this was Spielberg and Lucas' idea of a joke then it's worse than all the other bad ones in that film.

No, I can't imagine Indy as a dad in relation to KOTCS. Because KOTCS never happened.

I don't even think Indy and Marion even got around to consummating their relationship. She would have been too drunk or he would have been too tired.

I Don Quixote

I agree with Montana in part. I think a daughter would be different from INdy's father-son relationship, and living with her mother would have made her a character with maybe more personality. Mutt was, like a said earlier, kinda stereotypical.
And I believe Indy and Marion would have found the time.

The Drifter

I said:
Mutt was, like a said earlier, kinda stereotypical

And, having another brutish tough-girl in the fold wouldn't be? Marion's personality is cliche also, and having a bratty Marion clone running around being sassy would be worse than Mutt's greaser wanna-be tough guy shtick. Thanks but, no thanks. One Marion is enough, ugh.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
And, having another brutish tough-girl in the fold wouldn't be? Marion's personality is cliche also, and having a bratty Marion clone running around being sassy would be worse than Mutt's greaser wanna-be tough guy shtick. Thanks but, no thanks. One Marion is enough, ugh.

She wouldn't have been old enough but a Hailee Steinfeld type (as seen in True Grit) would have been more interesting.

And I said "sassy", not "bratty". And I was referring to the real Marion, i.e. Raiders.

Marion was crap in KOTCS, so her character would have to have been upgraded as well.

The movie has so many weak links that it's unsalvagable beyond a complete rewrite. Just a bad dream Indy had after eating too many cheeseburgers.

I Don Quixote

Drifter, I see what you mean. The tough-girl shtick does get pretty old, but so does the beauty queen. Maybe they could have found a middle ground.
Now, if you wanna complain about KOTCS and any of its characters, go to that forum. Keep the hate to a minimum.

The Drifter

I wasn't hating or complaining about anything. I was just stating how I like Mutt's character regardless of who played him. If anything I was the only one who wasn't complaining. And for the record, I hate Marion in Raiders also :p

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
And for the record, I hate Marion in Raiders also :p

So you don't picture Marion as a worthy mother to Indy's offspring?

It's ironic, though, that Marion didn't like the picture she formed of Indy as father to her child.

On the face of it, Mutt would have been better off with Indy. His life might have have been more dangerous, what with Indy inadvertently bringing his work home. But he wouldn't have to live with an alcoholic mother.

Wonder if Mutt knew what his mother did to survive in Nepal? I suppose he wouldn't have looked so shocked at the wedding if he did.

As a father Indy would probably have been absent until the time his son could take care of himself and accompany him on adventures. He would nevertheless have ensured he stayed in education (sent away somewhere to kill two birds with one stone). Mutt would have been in a better position, more akin to Indy's own youth, and not as lost as he was under Marion's protection.