Rest In Peace, [Insert Name Here]

DocWhiskey

Let us remember Dennis Hopper for the awe inspiring role that earned him 3 Oscars and countless amounts of praise.....

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4SU6OpCfiyM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4SU6OpCfiyM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

avidfilmbuff

I'll always remember him as the crazed photographer in Apocalypse Now.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h5JXrP8yv8o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h5JXrP8yv8o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TAixFYnDh4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TAixFYnDh4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dr. Gonzo

Dennis Hopper was a classic.

Some of my personal favorites for him are Speed, Apocalypse Now, Blue Velvet (he was a real bad ass), Rumble Fish, and his little part in True Romance.

Slowly beginning to realize that the good ole' actors are gonna start to die off...
I'm definitely gonna shed tears when Jack Nicholson and Sean Connery finally leave us.

Webley

R.I.P. Harvey Pekar

After decades of success which ranged from one of the medium's earliest self-publishing triumphs to a mainstream crossover that would defy all expectations for the phrase "comic book movie," one of the comics greatest stories has come to an end as The Cleveland Leader has confirmed that writer Harvey Pekar died this morning at the age of 70.

A lifelong resident of Cleveland, Ohio, Pekar turned the true tales of his life "from off the streets" of that city into one of the most celebrated and notable comics projects in the history of the artform. Starting in 1976 as a collaboration between the writer and underground cartoonist R. Crumb, Pekar's "American Splendor" title chronicled its heroes life as a file clerk at Cleveland's VA hospital and his interests from jazz music to literature. Originally a modest one-man operation published by Pekar and illustrated by a rotating cast of comics talents including Gary Dumm and Spain Rodriguez, "American Splendor" caught national attention in the '80s when Pekar became a frequent guest on NBC's "Late Night With David Letterman" often running opposite the popular "Stupid Pet Tricks" segment before his outspoken criticisms of NBC owner General Electric briefly ended the relationship.

More importantly, "American Splendor" brought Pekar to the attention of his third wife Joyce Brabner who also become one of his most important collaborators. In 1994 when Pekar was diagnosed with lymphoma, Brabner pushed him to turn the story of his treatment into a graphic novel as both a form of creativity and of therapy. The resulting "Our Cancer Year" won the prestigious Harvey Award in 1995 which along with a 1987 win of the National Book Award for "American Splendor" helped carry Pekar's reputation for keenly observed autobiography to new audiences both within and outside the comics community.

The "American Splendor" title continued over the years in a variety of formats and for a variety of publishers including Dark Horse and DC's Vertigo imprint and in 2003 was adapted into an Academy Award-nominated film directed by by documentarians Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini and starring Paul Giamatti and Hope Davis as well as Pekar and Brabner in real life segments.

Pekar retired from file clerking around that time, but continued to be a force in comics up through his death. No longer spinning out smaller stories meant for comic books, Pekar's later work took on a broader introspective tone as graphic novels like "The Quitter" with artist Dean Haspiel and multiple non-autobio comics including an adaptation of Stud Terkel's "Working." This past year, the writer found a new generation of young cartoonists to work with at Smith Magazine under the heading "The Pekar Project" where a rotating cast of artists would work with Pekar to delve into his life as a cultural figure as well as his interests in music and art.

Pekar passed away early this morning, being found by Brabner just before 1:00 AM Cleveland time. He is survived by his wife and their daughter Danielle.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27123

Forbidden Eye

I actually saw American Splendor for the first time two weeks ago. While it was a little hard to get into, by the end of it I really appreciated Pekar as a bizzare and original American artist.

R.I.P

Webley

Steinbrenner dies at 80

The Yankees say owner George Steinbrenner has died. He was 80.

Spokesman Howard Rubenstein said he died Tuesday morning. He had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m, a person close to the owner told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not disclosed those details.

Steinbrenner, who celebrated his birthday July 4, had been in fragile health for several years.

Flags were immediately lowered to half-staff at Steinbrenner Field, the Yankees' spring training complex. The Yankees says many employees there were in tears.

The death comes two days after the team's beloved public-address announcer Bob Sheppard died at 99.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...s-at-80-after-masssive-heart-attack?GT1=39002

michael

George Steinbrenner Dead At Age 80

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

Yankees' Steinbrenner dies at 80

George Steinbrenner, who rebuilt the New York Yankees into a sports empire with a mix of bluster and big bucks that polarized fans all across America, died Tuesday. He had just celebrated his 80th birthday July 4.

"It is with profound sadness that the family of George M. Steinbrenner III announces his passing. He passed away this morning in Tampa, Fla., at age 80," the Steinbrenner family said in a statement.

"He was an incredible and charitable man. First and foremost he was devoted to his entire family -- his beloved wife, Joan; his sisters, Susan Norpell and Judy Kamm, his children, Hank, Jennifer Jessica and Hal; and all of his grandchildren.

"He was a visionary and a giant in the world of sports. He took a great but struggling franchise and turned it into a champion again."

He had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m ET on Tuesday, according to multiple reports.

The Steinbrenner family said that funeral arrangements will be private, however details about an additional public service will be announced at a later date.

Flags were immediately lowered to half-staff at Steinbrenner Field, the Yankees' spring training complex. The Yankees say many employees there were in tears.

For more than 30 years, Steinbrenner lived up to his billing as "the Boss," a nickname he earned and clearly enjoyed as he ruled with an iron fist.

He was known for feuds, clashing with Yankees great Yogi Berra and firing manager Billy Martin twice. But as his health declined, Steinbrenner let sons Hal and Hank run more of the family business.

Steinbrenner was in fragile health for years, resulting in fewer public appearances and pronouncements. Yet dressed in his trademark navy blue blazer and white turtleneck, he was the model of success: The Yankees won seven World Series titles after his reign began in 1973

Till the end, he demanded championships. He barbed Joe Torre during the 2007 AL playoffs, then let the popular manager leave after another loss in the opening round. The team responded last year by winning another title.

His death was the second in three days to rock the Yankees. Bob Sheppard, the team's revered public address announcer from 1951-07, died Sunday at 99.

*Edit, wow, me and Webley were on that at like the same time!

Webley

Speed Racer Voice Actor Peter Fernandez Passes Away

William Winckler has informed ANN that Peter Fernandez, the actor and voice director best known as the title character in the animated Speed Racer series, passed away this morning due to lung cancer. He was 83.

Fernandez not only voiced Speed himself, but also his brother Racer X and several other characters in the English-dubbed adaptation of Tatsunoko's Mach Go Go Go anime series. He also directed the voice cast and even wrote the lyrics to the signature theme song. He later played Lupin III, Daisuke Jigen, and President Jimmy Carter in the JAL dubbing of the Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo film. His voice can be heard in such dubbed anime titles as Astro Boy, Gigantor, Marine Boy, Star Blazers: The Bolar Wars, and Superbook. He made a cameo appearance as an announcer in the 2008 live-action Speed Racer film.

Corinne Orr, the actress who played Speed Racer's romantic interest Trixie and younger brother Sprittle Racer, spoke with Fernandez as recently as last week. The two had worked together on 200 productions, and she noted that he was a big star on radio and Broadway and had starred in the 1949 film City Across the River "where Tony Curtis only had a bit part." Orr is the last surviving member of Speed Racer's main cast. Orr told ANN, "His great joy was doing all these conventions and receiving the acknowledgement and accolades from all his fans at the end of his life."

Winckler said that he was glad that, in the renewed interest that accompanied the Speed Racer film, Fernandez "finally got the attention and respect he deserved from the general public and mainstream press." He added, "Anime and Japanese live-action fantasy will never be the same without him. Peter's contribution to anime and Japanese live-action will live forever."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-15/speed-racer-voice-actor-peter-fernandez-passes-away

Webley

Cinderella, Dies at 81

Ilene Woods, the Voice of Disney?s Cinderella, Dies at 81

LOS ANGELES (AP) ? Ilene Woods, the voice of the title character in the Walt Disney animated feature ?Cinderella,? died on Thursday in Canoga Park, Calif. She was 81.

She died of causes related to Alzheimer?s disease, her husband, the drummer Ed Shaughnessy, told The Los Angeles Times.

Ms. Woods was an 18-year-old radio singer in 1948 when two songwriter friends asked her to make a demonstration recording of some songs they had written for a planned Disney feature. Two days later, Walt Disney himself interviewed her and offered her the job.

She was both the speaking and singing voice of Cinderella in the film, which was released in 1950 and went on to become a big success for the Disney studio. The singing voice of Prince Charming was provided by the future talk-show host Mike Douglas.

Ilene Woods was born Jacquelyn Ruth Woods on May 5, 1929, in Portsmouth, N.H. She had her own local radio show at 11 and her own network show at 14.

Ms. Woods sang on the Perry Como, Arthur Godfrey and Garry Moore television shows in the 1950s. She retired from show business in the early 1970s.

She was given a Disney Legends award in 2003.

In addition to her husband, a former member of the ?Tonight Show? band, whom she married in 1963, she is survived by their son, Daniel Shaughnessy; a daughter from her first marriage, Stephanie Pagoto; and three grandchildren.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/movies/06woods.html

Webley

Oscar winner Stan Winston dies

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i8d91a7147083886b8d78377d8626568d

Stan Winston, the Oscar-winning special effects, creature and makeup artist whose innovative creations include the full-scale animatronic dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park" and the futuristic Terminators, has died. He was 62.

Winston died Sunday at his home in Malibu after a seven-year battle with myeloma, a Stan Winston Studio spokeswoman said.

During a film and TV career that spanned four decades, Winston collaborated with such filmmakers as Steven Spielberg and James Cameron and worked on some of his generation's most memorable films.

He won four Oscars, for the visual effects in "Jurassic Park," "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and "Aliens" and for makeup on "T2." He also earned Oscar noms for his work on "AI: Artificial Intelligence," "The Lost World: Jurassic Park," "Batman Returns," "Edward Scissorhands," "Predator" and "Heartbeeps." He was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2001.

In the early years of his career, during which he worked primarily in television, Winston garnered five Emmy noms, winning for "Gargoyles" and "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman."

Praise for Winston poured in Monday from his showbiz friends and colleagues.

"Stan was a fearless and courageous artist/inventor," Spielberg said. "And for many projects, I rode his cutting edge from teddy bears to aliens to dinosaurs. My world would not have been the same without Stan. What I will miss most is his easy laugh every time he said to me, 'Nothing is impossible.' "

Producer Kathleen Kennedy told The Hollywood Reporter: "He has a tremendous impact in the world of special effects and makeup and bringing things to life that, for the most part, only existed in people's imaginations. We had an extraordinary working relations with Stan going back over 20 years. He was one of those wonderful personalities to have on the set because Stan was always laughing, always making jokes, and ultimately he delivered what you often thought was impossible."

Said Calif. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger: "The entertainment industry has lost a genius, and I lost one of my best friends with the death Sunday night of Stan Winston. What will live forever in my heart is the way that Stan loved everyone and treated each of his friends like they were family."

Dennis Murren, ILM's senior visual effects supervisor, said, "Stan took risks and said 'yes' when other creature people would say no, and that meant that you could make a movie like 'Jurassic Park.' That's what I think he will be remembered for and should be -- taking a chance because he wanted the movies to be as good as they could possibly be."

Murren added: "His work paralleled the growth of the industry, the growth of the tentpole movie."

Stan Winston Studio recently created the physical suit in "Iron Man."

"He was a giant," the film's director Jon Favreau said. "He was experienced and helped guide me while never losing his childlike enthusiasm. He was the king of integrating practical effects with CGI, never losing his relevance in an ever-changing industry.

"We were looking forward to future collaborations," he added. "I knew that he was struggling, but I had no idea that he would be gone so soon. Hollywood has lost a shining star."

Said David Gersh, Winston's longtime rep: "He was a kind person, a generous person, had a great sense of humor. There must be 25 characters that he created that are landmark, standout characters that have completely influenced the movie landscape over the last 20 years."

Winston was born April 7, 1946, in Arlington, Va. As a child, he enjoyed drawing, puppetry and classic horror films. He continued to pursue his interest in art and performance as a student at the University of Virginia, where he graduated from its fine arts and drama programs in 1968.

He headed West after graduation with dreams of becoming an actor but found his true calling as a makeup artist and creator of characters -- a career that enabled him to merge his sensibilities as an artist and performer. After completing a three-year makeup apprenticeship program at Walt Disney Studios in 1972, he established Stan Winston Studio. The studio eventually contributed characters and effects to more than 75 feature films, several music videos and countless commercials.

In 1988, Winston directed his first feature, "Pumpkinhead." He also produced a series of horror films for HBO as well as a number of genre films, and he created a line of high-end toys based on some of his studio's iconic characters.

He was one of the founders of VFX house Digital Domain, with partners Cameron and Scott Ross. "Hollywood will miss Stan Winston, a larger-than-life creative powerhouse and a wonderful father, husband and grandpa," Ross said.

At the time of his death, Winston was in the process of morphing his physical makeup and effects studio into the Winston Effects Group with the team of senior effects supervisors heading the new company. Managing the new company as partners and owners are veteran effects supervisors John Rosengrant, Shane Mahan, Alan Scott and Lindsay Macgowan.

The studio's upcoming projects include "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins," "G.I. Joe," "Shutter Island" and "Avatar." ∂

Winston is survived by his wife Karen; son Matt and daughter Debbie; and a brother, Ronnie Winston; and four grandchildren. In lieu of flowers the family requests that donations be made to the Institute for Myeloma & Bone Cancer Research, Free Arts for Abused Children and UNICEF.

Montana Smith

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Montana Smith said:
He died two years ago. I thought I was going crazy and had to check the thread to make sure it was the same Stan Winston.

Prehaps it was one of the many animatronics versions of himself he created. Expect him to die again.:D

Last edited:

Webley

Maury Chaykin, Character Actor, Dies at 61

Montana Smith said:
He died two years ago.

{I am pretty sure that unlike the last time I posted in this thread this guy has been dead for less than two years.}:eek:

Actor Maury Chaykin died early Tuesday -- his 61st birthday -- according to CBC.ca. The cause of death is undetermined, but the veteran actor had been struggling with kidney problems.

Though you might not recognize Chaykin's name, you will surely recognize his credits. His IMDB.com entry lists more than 150 projects in a career that spanned film and television, including 'Dances with Wolves,' 'Nero Wolfe,' recent Canadian sitcom 'Less Than Kind' and several films by director Atom Egoyan, including 'Where the Truth Lies' and 'The Sweet Hereafter.' Chaykin even played Harvey Weinstein, or rather, Harvey Weingard, a character based on Weinstein, on HBO's 'Entourage.'

Chaykin was a Brooklyn native, but his mother was Canadian. He studied at SUNY Buffalo before moving to Toronto in the mid '70s, where he remained while maintaining a career on both sides of the border. His death drew accolades and tributes from his peers.

Ferne Downey, president of ACTRA, the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists, told the CBC, "Maury was an infinitely gifted actor who has left us an incomparable body of work that will be cherished for many generations to come. We will miss his passion for his craft and his love and commitment to building our Canadian industry."

Egoyan told the Globe and Mail, "He was an incredible privilege to work with -- so full of possibilities, anger, range, humor, life, contradiction."

Chaykin won a Genie, the Canadian equivalent of an Oscar, for 'Whale Music' and Gemini awards, the Canadian version of the Emmys, for 'La Femme Nikita' and 'At the Hotel.'

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/07/28/actor-maury-chaykin-dies-on-his-61st-birthday/

WilliamBoyd8

Patricia Neal, RIP

Patricia Neal, the willowy, husky-voiced actress who won an Academy
Award for 1963's "Hud" and then survived several strokes to continue
acting, died on Sunday. She was 84.

Neal had lung cancer and died at her home in Edgartown, Mass., on
Martha's Vineyard, said longtime friend Bud Albers of Knoxville.

post_movie_dayearth_gort.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/08/entertainment/main6755382.shtml

:)