help with distressing todd's jacket

indyclone25

i have heard you can use a soft grit sandpaper to wear down the areas you want to look older , and some fullers earth to get the dust if you want it to look dusty, but thats all i got :D (y)

Walton

Not long ago, I distressed my Coyle Indy jacket (per a conversation with one of the ladies at Todd's Costumes).

I used 100 weight (medium grit) sandpaper. Fine grit sandpaper would have distressed the jacket more gradually (and it would have taken longer, too), but I'm pleased with the results from using medium weight paper (I'll post pictures as soon as I can, if anyone's interested). You may want to have both weights on-hand when distressing your jacket.

Keep in mind, I wanted the jacket to have a used look, like it's been all over the world and back.

A few pointers...from hindsight (using medium grit):

1. Wear the jacket while you distress it, but be sure not to wear anything under it that has buttons on it. As distressing relies on pressure, it will pick up those buttons and any raised surfaces as you go...just like the rubbing of the Grail tablet in TLC (thankfully, I did not make this mistake). Lamb skin is thin. It can even pick up hem lines from your t-shirt.

Wearing the jacket will help you figure out what parts (shoulders, elbows and sleeve cuffs, for example) should be distressed. Yes, you may need an assistant with you to help you with the back if you plan to distress it while wearing it (make sure they know what they're doing). I distressed the back by hanging the jacket over a chair and pulling the material semi-tight to ensure good contact with the sandpaper.

2. Move the sandpaper in short, light motions in one direction at a time. Rubbing the sandpaper back and forth will abrade the surface too quickly. Added pressure will do likewise. Hardly any pressure at all is necessary. The sandpaper knows.

3. Change directions. If you're not getting the results you want (and to avoid a uniformed look to all your distress marks), change it up.

4. Bend. Rub the sandpaper across flexed arms, not just across flat sleeves and surfaces. This creates the illusion that you were taking action when the wear occurred. Also, zip the jacket up and make some of your marks across the chest and pockets that way. Remember, though, do so lightly and gradually.

5. Keep those reference photos handy. Don't forget the collar.

6. Use your imagination. What would make the kind of wear mark you're looking for? Were you dragged behind a truck? Did Nazis slam you against the wall of some pharaoh's tomb? Was it 'cause that dirtbag took your whip?

The result is a well-weathered Indy jacket. Keep in mind, 100 weight sandpaper will give the Coyle jacket a "dusty" look similar to what you see in Raiders when Indy fights the German mechanic. It has to do with how that kind of leather ages; it just looks dusty on its own. If you want something more gradual, use a finer sandpaper.

Last edited:

Goodeknight

Great advice, Walton. My addition was going to be your #4, bend at the elbow to distress the natural creases in the jacket.

I distressed my Wested, which looked painfully new when it came out of the box. Had to do the whole bit with thinner and old socks to get the dark dark dark brown out, then sandpaper, etc. Slept in it a few nights, tossed it in the dryer (set on cold), and generally abused it.

Also check out all the 'distressing' threads on the Raven and at Club Obiwan. Major topic.

Best advice if you want a jacket that looks like it's been around the world: Start gathering frequent flyer miles.

Walton

goodeknight said:
Best advice if you want a jacket that looks like it's been around the world: Start gathering frequent flyer miles.

Exactly! Take it out, get it off the hanger and out in the world!

Indy Byrd

Thanks alot for the ideas/help guys! Just as soon as I get my step daughter out of the hospital and back home, I will be trying these ideas to get my "new" looking jacket looking more like a Indy jacket should.

Walton, any pictures of your jacket? I'd love to see it.

Walton

Indy Byrd said:
Thanks alot for the ideas/help guys! Just as soon as I get my step daughter out of the hospital and back home, I will be trying these ideas to get my "new" looking jacket looking more like a Indy jacket should.

Walton, any pictures of your jacket? I'd love to see it.

Not yet, but I will take a few soon, probably this weekend. Hope your stepdaughter heals up quickly!

Walton

Results:
DSCF9078.jpg

DSCF9076.jpg

DSCF9077.jpg

DSCF9074.jpg

DSCF9073.jpg

The Tingler

It missed the final word out of this thread's title on the main forum page, so I read it as "Help with distressing Todd".

Just wanted to add that. Jacket looks nice! :D

Walton

The Tingler said:
It missed the final word out of this thread's title on the main forum page, so I read it as "Help with distressing Todd".

Just wanted to add that. Jacket looks nice! :D

Lol! Thanks!