Your Favorite Movie Where The Characters Did NOT Speak English?

Finn

Staff member
The topic says it all.

There's movie business in many parts of the world apart Hollywood, as you may know.

So, now the question is, have you seen a movie that was not made by American or British moviemakers which really glued into your mind?

Or anything that is even remotely memorable is tolerated.

Finn

Staff member
And one more note... anyone who's seen a dubbed version of some popular hit (you know, central Europe style)... you won't amuse me. ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, I guess I should mention Sergio Leone's "Dollars" trilogy...that counts, right?

Um...Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, that was rather excellent.

That might be it.

00Kevin

Indyfan
well, The one that sticks out the most is 'Life is Beautiful', but then again, it's the only major non-english film I've seen

I've seen a few small foreign film, but nothing else very big...

Kill Cavalry

Life is Beautiful...hands down one of the best movies I've ever seen (and yes, it is much better in subtitles than dubbed).

Kill Cavalry said:
Life is Beautiful...hands down one of the best movies I've ever seen (and yes, it is much better in subtitles than dubbed).

Oh, that movie is wonderful. I was sobbing by the end of it...probably the best Holocaust movie i ever saw (and the only nonEnglish one I ever saw!)

Patrick

I saw a Godzilla movie,which was not dubbed to english and had no subtitles. I actually don't remeber why I watched it... I'll get back to you on that.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Patrick said:
I saw a Godzilla movie,which was not dubbed to english and had no subtitles. I actually don't remeber why I watched it... I'll get back to you on that.

LOL!

we're coming up with all these great films...and all you've see is godzilla

(no offense ;))

westford

I caught part of some Bollywood film on TV the other night. I got quite into it, although it was pretty weird - every now and again they'd throw in an English sentence or song (Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye kept cropping up...). It was about a boy who wanted to be a circus clown like his father, so if anyone knows what it's called tell me cos I wouldn't mind seeng it all the way through.

Indy Smith

To me it would have to be City of God. That movie grabbed your attention and kept it for the complete two hours. It went off in different tangents and it was well played.

The worst non-english movie i saw was "CXrouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". Enuff said.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Indy Smith said:
The worst non-english movie i saw was "CXrouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". Enuff said.

yeah, I've never seen it, but It sounds like it's really dumb

In other news: I've seen 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' and I think it's great

:D ;)

intergamer

ulysses...did you know that in this "the oddysey" film, only the two main characters were speaking english? all of the other characters spoke italian and got dubbed

besides that, the lord of the rings (there was some elvish going on there)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
intergamer said:
ulysses...did you know that in this "the oddysey" film, only the two main characters were speaking english? all of the other characters spoke italian and got dubbed

A version of The Odyssey called Ulysses? Not to question you, but wouldn't that be infringing upon James Joyce?

intergamer

Attila the Professor said:
intergamer said:

A version of The Odyssey called Ulysses? Not to question you, but wouldn't that be infringing upon James Joyce?

I'm not sure...I just watched it the other day though, it was made in 54 or something

Attila the Professor

Staff member
intergamer said:
Attila the Professor said:
intergamer said:

I'm not sure...I just watched it the other day though, it was made in 54 or something

I'll look into it.

You're right...it was 1955, starring Kirk Douglas as Ulysses. It was the Greek epic, not the James Joyce story of a night in Dublin.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
y-667.jpg

The Unknown Soldier. A Finnish war movie made in 1955. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048752/

EricExpress

Inspirational and different

- M (1931, Germany)
Fritz Lang's masterpiece with Peter Lorre.
- Yojimbo (1961, Japan)
This is it. Fistful of Dollars is a remake.
- The Bicycle Thief (1948, Italy)
Neo-Realism in all it's glory.
- The Seventh Seal (1957, Sweden)
My favorite Ingmar Bergman.
- Kikujiro (1999, Japan)
Extremely touching film about a jerk and a kid.
- Run Lola Run (1998, Germany)
Fun time dealing with time.
- Battle Royale (2000, Japan)
Insane, innovative, bloody.
- Man Bites Dog (1992, Belgium)
Dark and gritty, raw violence.

I know I am leaving out tons. M is my favorite, though. Also if you like Amelie check out The City of Lost Children.