Black Hats

Forbidden Eye

Surprised no thread has come up yet.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/harrison-ford-star-as-wyatt-214639

With Cowboys & Aliens premiering tonight at Comic-Con, Harrison Ford has attached himself to another cowboy role, though this one comes with an interesting twist.

Ford is attached to star as an aging Wyatt Earp in Black Hats, an adaptation of a Max Allan Collins novel being produced by Thunder Road's Basil Iwanyk and Jason Netter of Kickstart Productions.

Kurt Johnstad, who co-wrote 300 and is co-writing its sequel, 300: The Battle of Artemisia, has been tapped to pen the adaptation.

Black Hats blends fact with fiction in its telling of the story involving an older Earp, the one who spent his last years as a private detective and movie consultant in Los Angeles. The spin involves Earp learning that his friend and compatriot Doc Holliday had a son, now living in Prohibition-era New York City. While Holliday is long dead, the son has gotten himself in trouble with a rising mobster, Al Capone.

Earp teams up with Bat Masterson, one of his former deputies and now noted sportswriter for the New York Morning Telegraph, to take on the gang in what becomes a tale of six-shooters versus tommy guns...

When Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out, I predicted it would be the start of Harrison Ford having a comeback, yet the two years after that seemed to disprove that theory. Now with Cowboys and Aliens coming out and this, it looks like Ford is finally choosing interesting roles again! The type of roles that made him a star in the first place!

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sounds like an interesting story and an interesting role. (Downright odd from a Young Indy perspective, though...funny how Hollywood Follies is the most "connected" installment of them all.)

TheMutt92

Forbidden Eye said:
When Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out, I predicted it would be the start of Harrison Ford having a comeback, yet the two years after that seemed to disprove that theory. Now with Cowboys and Aliens coming out and this, it looks like Ford is finally choosing interesting roles again! The type of roles that made him a star in the first place!

Let's hope so and that this is Ford's second wind that he's getting into. He had a pretty strong career until the late 90's/early 00's, then everything just seemed to peter out. As long as he gets back to working w/ quality material and directors, I think he'll find his career back on track.

Billy Ray

This movie sounds pretty awesome. I am a big fan of Wyatt Earp to begin with. I lived in AZ as a kid and we took regular trips to Tombstone. Harrison being attached to the film is just icing on the cake!

TheMutt92

Well, at least we know that if Harrison's career doesn't get back on track, he can always go back to doing cameos:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0KBCRPugdmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Billy Ray

Indy's brother said:
Sorry this has bomb written all over it. Anyone else think this sounds lame?

Nope, not at all. An aging Wyatt Earp (played by non other than Harrison Ford) and Bat Masterson, battling '20s era gangsters? Sounds pretty frickin' awsome to me!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
Sorry this has bomb written all over it. Anyone else think this sounds lame?

First, Cowboys and Aliens, then Cowboys and Mobsters...what's next? Cowboys and Muslims?

Harrison Ford plays a retired CIA head who's called in by highest-level officials at the highest level imagined to recreate the Crusades for a fledgling propaganda film company. Is the high jinx that follows all parody or is it something far more sinister?

The Man

Kasdan's Wyatt Earp is quite severely underrated. Ford could really nail this one home...if on form.

Indy's brother

A detective series in general set up this way sounds awesome, but the Al Capone angle just loses me. It seems lazy. "I know, if it's gonna be this era, let's do gangsters, Hmmm. I need to construct a good villain. I got nothin. Eh, let's just do Al Capone. WIN! Now enough of this pesky writing business, let's go out for sushi!"

Sure you could argue that Hitler was the villain in ROTLA and LC, but the real villains were the lackeys. And Hitler's agendas were much more interesting. But for a war-era flick, it's to be expected that nazis were everywhere, since they were also looking for these artifacts in real life. The original quote doesn't sound like Al is in the background for this like Hitler was for Indy. Also, if they're taking their cues from Indy this way, then does this mean that they'd be setting this up for any future installments with more gangsters, more Al? If so, it's a wasted opportunity. There's so much room for a greater, more of a thoughtful and noir-ish film here. Cowboy Noir. That is something I would be down for if they're going to mash up genres. I would prefer to be wrong, and for this project to work out. This was interesting to me until I read the Capone thing.

WilliamBoyd8

post_storminthewest_hygatt.jpg

This guy from the 1943 film "Storm in the West" could be a good villian.

:)

WilliamBoyd8

Cowboys and Monks

A Roman Catholic monastery in North Dakota is putting its ranching operation out to pasture because it lacks monks with cowboy skills.

Abbot Brian Wangler tells the Dickinson Press that ranching has been a part of Assumption Abbey since 1893, when it was in Devil's Lake. He says raising cattle helped make the monastery self-sufficient.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...rth-dakota-monestery-cows-ranch-monks-ON.html

The abbey was in Devil's Lake?

:)