Kon Tiki

Le Saboteur

As a school aged delinquent in Hawai'i, one of our forms of vandalism involved slapping small, black stickers in visible locations -- they simply said "Eddie Would Go" in nice white block letters. As the resident haole, it would be some time before I would understand the story behind the phrase.

Eddie Aikau was the City and County of Honolulu's first lifeguard on the North Shore's infamous Waimea Bay. A champion surfer who fearlessly charged the bay's massive waves, his commitment to any rescue was legendary -- despite the impossible odds. And in his years as lifeguard, not a single soul was lost. Tragically, Eddie was lost at sea in '78 after paddling from the Polynesian Voyaging Society's Hōkūleʻa, a double-hulled voyaging canoe, after it capsized in heavy seas 12-miles off of Moloka'i. Today the Hōkūleʻa carries a plaque in his memory.

Founded in 1973, the Polynesian Voyaging Society was started in part to refute the theories of Thor Heyerdahl and others regarding the Polynesians' origins and navigation abilities.

In 1976 the Society, aboard the Hōkūleʻa, completed a 6,000-mile round trip journey from Hawai'i to Tahiti without aid of modern (read: Western) navigation devices. Led by Micronesian navigator Mau Piailug, the crew completed the voyage in a mere thirty-five days refuting Heyerdahl's earlier theories. Polynesians were indeed capable of purposeful navigation and were plying the Pacific long before Columbus ever set sail from Palos de la Frontera.

The Hōkūleʻa has completed nine voyages since then, including a massive twelve-thousand mile journey from Hawai'i to Tahiti and throughout the Polynesian Islands.

FdDiAeohaYXf87ls44DTbAkIwlIH1Wwr-ZDqh6O8aUfA.jpg

Studying Polynesian culture privately, Heyerdahl subsequently convinced his professors at the University of Oslo to fund an expedition to the South Pacific to study how local animal species had found their way there. The results of which were published in Norway, and subsequently forgotten about in the run up to World War II. Following other adventures, Heyerdahl organized an expedition based on his theory -- that Polynesia was settled by pre-Columbian Peruvians.

Believing the moai of Easter Island to have more in common with pre-Columbian sculpture than traditional Polynesian iconography, Heyerdahl theorized that Easter Island was originally settled by ancient Peruvians. He also believed that the legend of a power struggle between two tribes ? the Hanau epe and Hanau momoko -- was a memory of said conflict between the original inhabitants and a later wave of immigrants from the Northwest coast that eventually led to the annihilation of the Hanau epe and the destruction of the island?s once prosperous economy and culture.

In 1947 Heyerdahl, five other scientists, and pet macaw set out from Peru on a balsa wood raft intending to prove that such a voyage could have been made -- that the lack of modern sails, navigation equipment, and maps wouldn't have been a hindrance.

Directors Joachim Roenning & Espen Sandberg brought that story to the silver screen in 2012's Kon Tiki.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e4DZ7svBw7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A more American-oriented trailer.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a8RID64X218" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Threads get started here in the film section on a whim, but anybody interested in exploration should go out of their way to see this. It is, without a doubt, one of the greatest adventure stories of the twentieth century. The movie has opened in limited release across the states, so take a look for your local listings; otherwise, keep an eye out for the video release!

Joe Brody

Can't wait to see this. I hope this is one example where a film's tortured financing actually makes for a better final product (simultaneous filming of film in two languages).

Le Saboteur

Hmm...

I forgot to mention at the beginning of my initial post, that the above was the circuitous route of experience and information that led to my initial discovery of Heyerdahl's highly charged theory.

Joe Brody said:
Can't wait to see this. I hope this is one example where a film's tortured financing actually makes for a better final product (simultaneous filming of film in two languages).

For anybody interested in the story behind the movie's choice, check out this article from The New York Times. You can also see a side-by-side comparison here.

There's a nice interview with the directors available here too.

8457488636_43b1617e7d.jpg

Saw it today @ one of those ghetto ass art theatres Harvey Weinstein wanted to avoid. Fantastic little movie. It's not hard to see why Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg are @ the top of Disney's very-short list to helm the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean.

I don't want to delve into too many details so early into its release, but I would rate it a very strong three star film (out of four). There are some splendid set pieces, gorgeous cinematography, and it's all very well acted.

There's a rumor floating 'round that about twenty minutes of the movie were excised from the US release. I wonder if that missing footage would push the film over the hump into four star territory. Hopefully it ends up on the eventual video release.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
I forgot to mention at the beginning of my initial post, that the above was the circuitous route of experience and information that led to my initial discovery of Heyerdahl's highly charged theory.
Thanks for the heads-up, Sabbie! It's about time a movie was made about this story. As controversial as Heyerdahl's theories are/were, the voyage is still a fascinating adventure. (Heck, just getting the balsa trees from the jungle interior is an adventure all on it's own!) I've seen the original documentary from 1950 with the actual, black & white footage from the trip. 'Tis very good and well worth watching. I still have my grandfather's 1st edition printing of Thor Heyerdahl's book, "Aku-Aku, The Secret of Easter Island". Would like to watch THAT documentary one day but it's not an easy one to see.:(

My introduction to this adventure was from a GREAT teacher of mine in college, D'Arcy O'Connor, (who actually joined The Raven back in 2005 after I mentioned his name in the Oak Island thread).

These trailers show that certain elements (the shark encounters) have been embellished to make things more exciting. The crew did encounter sharks but, as far as I'm aware, nobody fell in the water when they were around nor was anyone out in the dinghy when the spotted, whale shark showed up.

That said, they seem to have done a semi-accurate job with the position of the flags. Norway always astern and the rest (Peru, U.S.A., United Kingdom, Sweden, France and the New York Explorer's Club) flying in a line off the spar. (For whatever reason, the French flag was usually atop of the mast but this movie's clips seem to show the small, N.Y. Explorer's Club flag in it's place). Why?:confused: I haven't seen this film yet but Yanks may wonder why the American flag is there. The U.S. Army donated provisions of canned food, etc. as an experiment to see how they would fare on such a voyage. Plus, the radio operators were constantly in touch with the Norwegian ambassador in Washington...so there are some American connections for y'all.;)

Check out this colour footage to compare (filmed from the dinghy):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4m2Z5amr_DE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Joe Brody said:
It was disappointing to read the 'New York Times' article that Le Sab linked to because it seems as if the journalist's research was culled from only a single webpage, which is surprising for such a well-regarded, high-quality newspaper. The N.Y. Times describes the filming of a movie in more than one language as "highly unusual" even though this type of thing has been done quite often in Europe and is very common in India (where some movies are shot in 3 or 4 language at the same time). Heck, even Canada has a long history of simultaneously shooting theatrical films & TV series in both English and French. This practice ain't "highly unusual" by any means (so thumbs down to the beloved, 'New York Times' in this case).(n)
Le Saboteur said:
Threads get started here in the film section on a whim, but anybody interested in exploration should go out of their way to see this.
Well, this Thor ain't wearin' a cape & spandex, flyin' around in the air fightin' bad guys. Apart from a select few, do you really think most Ravenheads will be interested in this moovie if there are no toys, etc. associated with it?:confused::p

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Well, this Thor ain't wearin' a cape & spandex, flyin' around in the air fightin' bad guys. Apart from a select few, do you really think most Ravenheads will be interested in this moovie if there are no toys, etc. associated with it?:confused::p

Well, hope springs eternal that The Raven isn't actually a Harrison Ford fetish site despite being reminded of it everyday. I also keep hoping that the assembled cast will express an actual interest in the genre at large, but, as we've discussed, that doesn't seem to be happening.

Stoo said:
Thanks for the heads-up, Sabbie! It's about time a movie was made about this story. As controversial as Heyerdahl's theories are/were, the voyage is still a fascinating adventure.

:hat:

The voyage as fascinating adventure is Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg's entry into the story; much of Heyerdahl's theories are left on the beach, and the film hews much closer to an action-adventure movie at sea than the original expedition ever was as a result. Nothing is really as outsized as the trailer suggests, but the encounters certainly are thrilling. I'm curious to see if the missing twenty-minutes pushes the movie from good action-adventure movie into something else.

If I had one really complaint though, it would be: Heyerdahl's friends and fellow fools aren't developed beyond the barest of details. Despite this, Gustav Skarsgard, as Bengt Danielsson, was quite charming in a limited capacity.

I wonder if Heyerdahl ever reflected on the absurdity of asking money for such an expedition despite 9/10's of the crew having never been to sea.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Saw it today @ one of those ghetto ass art theatres Harvey Weinstein wanted to avoid. Fantastic little movie. It's not hard to see why Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg are @ the top of Disney's very-short list to helm the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean.

I don't want to delve into too many details so early into its release, but I would rate it a very strong three star film (out of four). There are some splendid set pieces, gorgeous cinematography, and it's all very well acted.
Luckily saw it a few days ago on an overseas, Air Canada flight. (It was in the "Avant Garde" film section.)

As entertainment, it was a likeable movie and I'd probably give it the same rating as you did. Beautiful photography, fine performances and never dull. As an historical account, the embellishments were plenty but minimal enough to not ruin it and, despite knowing the outcome of the voyage, those shark encounters did have me on the edge of my airplane seat. (The CGI in those cases was also convincingly realistic! Very well done.)

I was hoping there'd be a sequence of the crew getting the balsa lumber from the Peruvian interior but alas...

One thing I got a laugh from was that business about "every 13th wave" being bigger than the rest because that is complete bunkum, eh?

Spurlock

That actually looks really good. It has a great feel to it, as well as adventure and action, no wonder PotC 5 has gone to them, they could do wonders with it.

That's also the type of feel and adventure I think IJ could use, and the type I want the stories I write to have. Though I've heard of it, watching the trailers made me actually want to see it.

Sea Monarch

Well women say, "A Hickie from KON-TIKI is like getting a Hallmark Card". ;)

Stoo said:
Well, this Thor ain't wearin' a cape & spandex, flyin' around in the air fightin' bad guys.
I noticed this too. Kinda refreshing, (though I like the occasional Superhero flick).

Stoo said:
Apart from a select few, do you really think most Ravenheads will be interested in this moovie if there are no toys, etc. associated with it?
I can't speak for the rest, but this sounds like my kinda movie!
It A) Deals with History
B) Shows Hawaii, and the Polynesian Islands. (y)
Btw, Hearing about all of this for the first time, I'm also interested to learn more about Eddie Aikau, as I'm interested in surfing. A sport, I someday long to do!

Stoo said:
The N.Y. Times describes the filming of a movie in more than one language as "highly unusual" even though this type of thing has been done quite often in Europe and is very common in India (where some movies are shot in 3 or 4 language at the same time). Heck, even Canada has a long history of simultaneously shooting theatrical films & TV series in both English and French. This practice ain't "highly unusual" by any means (so thumbs down to the beloved, 'New York Times' in this case).
It's so true, Stoo. Glad you pointed that out. :gun:

And thanks for pointing this movie out Le Saboteur! (y) Sadly, these movies don't get the attention, or opportunity to be seen in Theaters, they often deserve!:(

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:

I reckon I'm in the select few already, but this has been on my radar and I've been intending to see it, but wanted to give the older documentary a gander first.

kon-tiki-movie-poster-1951-1020391107.jpg

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
I reckon I'm in the select few already, but this has been on my radar...

I have this guilty feeling that people suddenly feel the need to check down on their bona fides...

Attila the Professor said:
...but wanted to give the older documentary a gander first.

I'd suggest the exact opposite; be unencumbered by the long view, and enjoy the flick as a piece of fiction/entertainment/whatever. Only then go and seek out the documentary to see how they differed. You might find that to be the more enjoyable experience.

For everybody else, Kon Tiki has been available on home video for a little while now. If you're keen on seeing this, do look around at your local video store and on-line if you prefer.

kontiki_640.jpg

You'd entrust a klatch of blonde haired, blue eyed Scandanavians with a bunch of money to build a raft wouldn't you?

Sea Monarch said:
Shows Hawaii, and the Polynesian Islands.

Hawai'i is the northern tip of the Polynesian Triangle, and while mentioned, doesn't feature in the movie. It's about a thousand nautical miles to the North.

And while it's a little late -- and only Finn could have realistically made the trip -- Grafill* had an exhibit on how Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg brought the movie to life from concept art and matte paintings. Watch the movie, of course, before checking out a couple of the images on the site.

While I'm thinking about it, this is another point in Kon Tiki's favor:

In a day and age when most movies are tarted up with visual FX, the directors lavish their meager budget on bringing a vision of the world to life. It all seems very real and does the larger narrative a greater service than many movies triple its budget.

kon-tiki_580.jpeg

Did you know the pineapple is the universal symbol of hospitality and warm welcomes?

* - Grafill is a Norwegian association for visual communication.

Le Saboteur

Are you a citizen of the United States of America? Or, if not a citizen, are you at least living within its borders? If so, that's the first step. If you can combine that with an active Netflix account, then Kon Tiki is available on its streaming service.

Take a gander if you've been meaning to!

And, if any of our international cohorts can confirm it's on their service too, that would be great.

hero_kontiki.jpg

Hey, look! I can see the prospects of a fifth Indy picture down there!

Last edited:

Spurlock

Just watched the film on Netfilx, and it is pretty amazing. For a low budget foreign film, I expected it to have some issues with production value and effects, but nearly everything was up to the standard of American blockbusters.

The film itself was pretty entertaining, and interesting for someone interested in ancient history such as myself. I definitely recommend the film.

Ronning and Sandberg for IJ5.