Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 05-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #51
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipwarrior
I'm a regular contributor to the Genesis Deluge thread, Stoo. The censored expletives in Peril at Delphi were covered in another thread here, or possibly at the old IndyFan forum (it was a long time ago, and I can't recall exactly which Indy site the discussion occurred on).
Thanks for the reply, Whip. It could have been some other forum because I don't recall ever reading about this before. Interesting news!

Mine were all bought back in the day, starting with "Delphi" but it definitely doesn't have any expl*t!ves in it! I'm curious to know what & where they are so let us know when you find them.

(As for the embossed covers of "Genesis" and "Unicorn", I'll check my copies when then are close at hand next week.)
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #52
whipwarrior
IndyFan

I ordered first editions of the other three MacGregor books from the same seller, so I'll have my answer when they arrive. I'm 99% positive that the Peril at Delphi censorship discussion was on the IndyFan forum back in the day, so it's buried somewhere in the archives. I'll make notes of the pages where the offending words crop up and post it here.
whipwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #53
whipwarrior
IndyFan

Okay, I finally collected the whole set, all first edition printings. However, there's a glaring inconsistency: Unicorn's Legacy does not have an embossed logo cover like the others. Why would Bantam skip this one, but continue the trend with the next book? Certainly there must exist an embossed edition of Unicorn's Legacy. What gives?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #54
Icybro
IndyFan

Also interesting: for Genesis Deluge, only the "Indiana Jones" logo is raised, not the whole title, like in the others. FWIW, my copy of Unicorn's Legacy from September 1992 has no embossing either.

Have you been able to rediscover the differences between the first edition of Delphi and later editions?
Icybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #55
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipwarrior
Okay, I finally collected the whole set, all first edition printings. However, there's a glaring inconsistency: Unicorn's Legacy does not have an embossed logo cover like the others. Why would Bantam skip this one, but continue the trend with the next book? Certainly there must exist an embossed edition of Unicorn's Legacy. What gives?
Whipwarrior, thanks for the post. This topic is begging for more investigation. Due to all of the variations, it would be a good idea to have a thread specifically dedicated to the embossed covers. Yes? Feel like starting one? (If you don't, I will. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icybro
FWIW, my copy of Unicorn's Legacy from September 1992 has no embossing either.
Hey, Icybro! In case you're not aware, the date tells when the book was first published but it doesn't indicate which printing it is. For that info, you need to look at the printer's key at the bottom of the page. The lowest number signifies which printing you have.

Ex. my non-embossed copy of "Peril at Delphi":
OPM 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4

Mine is the 4th printing even though it says January 1991, as the earlier ones would. (The 3 letters are the printing house.)

---
Aside from that, my "Delphi" is looking really ragged but I kind of like it that way. It looks all used and worn, in true Indy fashion. There's even a tea stain on the first few pages. It's also littered with magazine clippings of photos, etc. that I put in there to help illustrate the story.

I'd never replace it but now I want that embossed cover!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #56
whipwarrior
IndyFan

The printer's key in my copy of Unicorn's Legacy is: OPM 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1, so it is, indeed, a true first printing from September 1992. Every Google image of UL shows flat, un-embossed covers. So maybe Bantam never made a textured logo for that particular Indy novel. Also, as noted with Genesis Deluge, the covers are selectively textured. Why is the camozotz mask textured on Seven Veils, but not the intricately-patterned omphalos on the Peril at Delphi cover? I'm 2/3 of the way through the novel and I still haven't encountered the offending word, but I'm positive that somebody mentioned it before. And yes, Indy's "F*** the sultans!" line does appear in my copy of Genesis Deluge.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #57
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Hey, Icybro! In case you're not aware, the date tells when the book was first published but it doesn't indicate which printing it is. For that info, you need to look at the printer's key at the bottom of the page. The lowest number signifies which printing you have.

Ex. my non-embossed copy of "Peril at Delphi":
OPM 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4

Mine is the 4th printing even though it says January 1991, as the earlier ones would. (The 3 letters are the printing house.)

Thanks for schooling me, Stoo! I apparently have first printings of all the MacGregor books, except "Genesis Deluge," which is a 2nd printing. (You may recall I cracked the spine on that one in order to post a pic of page 168, showing off Indy's, uh, colorful language. I feel less guilty about that now that I know it wasn't a first printing. I'm kinda surprised Lucasfilm didn't catch that text before the 2nd printing, though.)

Embossed covers are such a delightfully nerdy thing to get excited over. Now I gotta check my whole Indy library looking for those raised letters.
Icybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #58
whipwarrior
IndyFan

Well, I just finished the novel and I didn't find the f-word anywhere. Now I'm just confused, because I'm almost certain it was discussed way back in the day. Either that, or I'm confusing it with the well-documented profanity in Genesis Deluge.