Handedness

What are you?

• Total voters

KDuncan

Just wondering. I'm interested in handedness, and have read numerous things on it. 90% of the population is right handed.

So what are Indy fans? ;)

(I'm right handed)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm a lefty!!! Everyone else in my family except my brother is right handed. How strange is that????

KDuncan

That's true, Abe, very few things in this world are made to accustom lefties. My dad is left-handed and he complains about it a lot. In Stanley Coren's book about left-handedness, he covers a lot of things that cause lefties problems and what they can do about it (along with info on why some people are left-handed and others aren't and the like).

Violet, were any of your parents left-handed? This is how it works:

Both parents righties: 10% of being left-handed.
Father is left-handed: 10% of being left-handed.
Mother is left-handed: 20% of being left-handed.
Both parents are left-handed: 20% of being left-handed.
If the mother is closer to 40 or above, the chance of having a left-handed child increases.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
KDuncan said:
That's true, Abe, very few things in this world are made to accustom lefties. My dad is left-handed and he complains about it a lot. In Stanley Coren's book about left-handedness, he covers a lot of things that cause lefties problems and what they can do about it (along with info on why some people are left-handed and others aren't and the like).

Violet, were any of your parents left-handed? This is how it works:

Both parents righties: 10% of being left-handed.
Father is left-handed: 10% of being left-handed.
Mother is left-handed: 20% of being left-handed.
Both parents are left-handed: 20% of being left-handed.
If the mother is closer to 40 or above, the chance of having a left-handed child increases.

Neither of them are. And they were under 40 when they had me and my brother.

Jay R. Zay

i'm left handed but as many things in the world are designed for right handed people, i found it easier to learn to write with both hands than to fume at writing tables on the right side of chairs, etc.

KDuncan

Doc Savage said:
Trained ambidextrous. Predominately right.

Did you train yourself as a personal challenge or was it for a job?

Do you only write right-handed when you have to, Jay, or do you sometimes do it to keep in practice?

Thanks, Violet, that's fascinating. How many children did they have?

(Hope no one minds me asking all these questions, I'm just intrigued by the subject)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
KDuncan said:
Thanks, Violet, that's fascinating. How many children did they have?

(Hope no one minds me asking all these questions, I'm just intrigued by the subject)

Just me and my younger brother, Will. Both of us are left handed. :whip:

roundshort

Gustav said:
How are people who are ambidextrous supposed to vote on this survey?

Dude I was thinking the same thing! I write Right Handed, but Played lacrosse as a lefty, I guess that makes me righty.

Indy Benson

I'm right handed, but I shoot left-handed in hockey, and I'm a switch hitter (in baseball, not in my sexual preferences!!!) ;)