What do you do for a living?

jsarino

So, with Raveners located all over the world, I'm curious what you all do for a living? Mods (looking at Finn in particular :p), if there's already a thread on this (which I didn't find), please merge? :)

I'll start...Community Coordinator/Manager at a knowledge exchange site.

Joe Brody

Finn is the original Finnish Seer.

It's the product of always being in the dark.

I also think he teaches English as a second language based on his vast experience of accumulated knowledged gained from watching countless hours of subtitled Dallas and Gilligan's Island episodes.

jsarino

Pale Horse said:
Raven Bar Keep. It's the enviable one, you know.

Wouldn't he need to have an uber-high tolerance to alcohol? You know, so he can outdrink anyone in the bar? :cool:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
jsarino said:
Wouldn't he need to have an uber-high tolerance to alcohol? You know, so he can outdrink anyone in the bar? :cool:

Strictly speaking, that's not necessary, at least in the conventional sense.

fans_sam.jpg

Around these parts, though, it does seem to go with the territory.

kongisking

jsarino said:
What kind of job are you looking for?

Well, at this point...kind of anything. Things are rather desperate right now. But I'm not going to regale you all with my personal worries...

Pale Horse said:
Raven Bar Keep. It's the enviable one, you know.

I'd certainly like it, but I know I won't get it. This site doesn't dare have someone like me in any position of authority. Someone like me being, "a defender of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." That's like having an atheist be the owner of a church. You'd have open rebellion. :p

Mickiana

I recently missed out on a well paid welding job with a reputable company because of a bung shoulder (very strict selection process), so I hooked up with a Bakery Intro course and may be doing an apprenticeship in that soon. Of course I could do some welding on the side.

I do full mash brewing and would love to do that for some dollars, in my own nano brewing company. I'm qualified in Natural Vision Improvement as a certified Instructor, but classes are far and few between.

I've done everything from Dishwasher to Porter to Movie Usher and Theatre Cleaner to Bistro Food Service to Mass Food Production to Labouring to my Engineering trade as a Boilermaker/First Class Welder to Hospital Wardsman and Cleaner.

I've yet to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I form too many varied interests and don't stick at one thing. So, when someone asks "What do you do for a living?", I ask them, "What month and what year?"

kongisking

Mickiana said:
I recently missed out on a well paid welding job with a reputable company because of a bung shoulder (very strict selection process), so I hooked up with a Bakery Intro course and may be doing an apprenticeship in that soon. Of course I could do some welding on the side.

I do full mash brewing and would love to do that for some dollars, in my own nano brewing company. I'm qualified in Natural Vision Improvement as a certified Instructor, but classes are far and few between.

I've done everything from Dishwasher to Porter to Movie Usher and Theatre Cleaner to Bistro Food Service to Mass Food Production to Labouring to my Engineering trade as a Boilermaker/First Class Welder to Hospital Wardsman and Cleaner.

I've yet to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I form too many varied interests and don't stick at one thing. So, when someone asks "What do you do for a living?", I ask them, "What month and what year?"

"We've heard a lot about you. Dishwasher, Labourer, and...how does one say it? Hospital Wardsman and Cleaner. Yes, you're a man of many talents."

Mickiana

kongisking said:
"We've heard a lot about you. Dishwasher, Labourer, and...how does one say it? Hospital Wardsman and Cleaner. Yes, you're a man of many talents."

You got a laugh out of me, Kong. Very funny. Yep, at one end of the universe is the life of Indiana Jones and at the other is mine.

kongisking

Mickiana said:
You got a laugh out of me, Kong. Very funny. Yep, at one end of the universe is the life of Indiana Jones and at the other is mine.

Hey, we could be living in 'the space between spaces' for all I know...

jsarino

^^^That would be a sobering thought if true. :)

kongisking said:
Well, at this point...kind of anything. Things are rather desperate right now. But I'm not going to regale you all with my personal worries...

Some of the best opportunities could happen through networking, even here. I'd be glad to try and help any Raveners find a job. If you don't want to post what you're looking for out here, you can PM me if you want!

Mickiana

kongisking said:
Hey, we could be living in 'the space between spaces' for all I know...

The space between jobs or between career change is a big one. Try it at my age: 46! Here in Oz, welding can earn big bucks, especially if you are willing to go to the regional areas for the mining work. I'm kinda over welding though. I have experience in dough production and pastry work and food in general. It's a more pleasant atmosphere than the fumes, dust and noise of a mine.

Good luck in your job search, but the good ol' USA is a bit like Australia - our manufacturing was sold out to China. There are jobs here but some sectors are feeling the pinch since the decline after 2008. 80% of Australia has just been declared drought stricken which is putting huge stress on our pastoral and agricultural industries, just like in California (the food bowl of the USA). I have recently learned how the UN SRM program is contributing to these scenarios and it's astonishing how little the public knows about this. Try and learn a bit about it. It's sobering stuff.