Is game total action, and no strategy?

Yolegoman

Okay, bad news... my dad has put his foot down and said that unless I can prove that you use some thinking skills in the game, (Eg, at least half the time) he won't let me open it. Even if he does, he still reserves the right to take it away. :D

So, my question to you... do you spend more time fighting, or more time thinking through puzzles? :D

Any help appreciated, as I still have the chance to fork over 40 bucks and open up the game...

Yolegoman

Dyre Straits

While the game has plenty of action, there's also a lot of things you have to figure out as you go. Getting from Point A to Point B and from there to Points C,D, and E are often frought with danger -- and Indy's demise -- if you make the wrong choice or wrong move.

It seems that Infernal Machine had more puzzles throughout that game than this one does. However, this one has puzzles and dilemmas that often require having the correct item in order to move forward. Or even knowing how to disable/enable things in order to proceed.

One thing that might alleviate your Dad's concern is that the fighting doesn't show blood and gore like so many other games on the market. I do believe LucasArts wants to attract the younger crowd that is drawn to the same type of adventure that Indy would experience in a movie.

IndyA

heh...

Well I do
have it on ps2 now (got it on the 27)
and i must say that it is about %60 %40
The game is great its not gorey and there
is no REFRENCES (if you know what i mean)
and all the clothes are mostly all fine,
aside from the twins who well are like
crazy women fighiters. Its a great game
though.

P.S.
Dyre Straits,Yolegoman is not quite the younger type, not at all, his parents are just very very picky lol... ;)

Yolegoman

Glad to see you have it now IndyA.

Sad fact is... it goes back this morning. I just hate this.

Really though, I don't think it was me he was worried about... just my younger brother. He's really wierd when it comes to violence, if you know what I mean.

Ah well, thanks anyways, guys. This just so sucks...

gavinpape

but the game isn't violent or anything... there is no blood, no limbs falling off or anything... i don't know where you're from but here in UK it has an 11+ rating...
i really really hope this doesn't cause offence, and if it does i apologize.. but i would hate to haven't parents as strict as yours...

Goodsport

Attila the Professor said:
I really hate to tell you this, but the sad fact is that there is more action than puzzles - I'd say about 60%/40%.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp If you mean 60% action, 40% puzzles, then that is actually a very good ratio for an Indiana Jones game.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Truth be told, the Indiana Jones movies had a much higher percentage of action than that, so Emperor's Tomb actually balances the two aspects proportionately well! :cool:

-G

[Edited by Goodsport on 06-30-2003 at 10:56 am]

Kumba

Yeah, you may have a point there, but the reason Infernal Machine was good was because of the puzzles; it made the game longer and more interesting. But, I'm sure ET is a good game; i just havn't played it yet. And Yolegoman, my sincere condolences. I remember when I was really young, my brothers and I had Mortal Kombat for the Sega Genesis, but, my mom found saw all the blood (i still remember the blood code! ABABACC) But now, I'm much older and my parents don't and havn't given a d*** what games I buy.

Goodsport

Kumba said:
Yeah, you may have a point there, but the reason Infernal Machine was good was because of the puzzles; it made the game longer and more interesting.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp My only major complaint about Emperor's Tomb (as opposed to a few minor ones) is that it does seem shorter than previous Indiana Jones games.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Perhaps for the next Indiana Jones game (which from all accounts should come out sometime in the next year or two) they could extend it by basically keep the same game engine (with a few slight tweaks here and there for the controls and the occasional awkward camera angle), but add in a few more puzzles (ala Infernal Machine) and introduce RPG-like dialogue trees (ala Fate of Atlantis) - sure that would be extra work for the voice actor who'll play Indy and for the voice actors/actresses who'll play the other characters, but I doubt that they would mind the bigger paychecks. ;)

-G