Favourite opening scenes of a movie

Canyon

Here's a question for you guys. Which are your favourite openings scenes?

Mine are:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Empire Strikes Back
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Air Force One
Gladiator
Highlander
Ghostbusters
LA Story
The Matrix
The Ring
Sixth Sense

I'm sure there are hundreds more, but I can't think of any right now. ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Once Upon a Time in the West
-magnificent take-off on High Noon

The Apartment
-I love this opening voiceover

That's what comes to mind...oh, and the opening to Inherit the Wind is really rather ominous, with the dirge-like version of "Gimme That Old-Time Religion."

Indy500

Frankie Lane singing Blazing Saddles

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom where Kate Capshaw does the "Anything Goes" number and dances thru the credits

Star Wars belly shot of an Imperial crusier firing on Leia's transport.

Most of the James Bond films with Sean Connery wrapping up a previous mission as the film starts.

Stormship Troupers and the Bugs

Last edited:

McSeem

I like when movie starts with action, just like Indy of James Bond series. The best action openings in my opinion was in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", in some early and later James Bond movies (especially "Goldfinger" with Sean and "GoldenEye" and "The World is not Enough" with Pierce).

My favorite comedy openings was in "My favourite martian" (life in Mars) and "Who framed Roger Rabbit" (which started with funny Tax Avery-ish cartoon).

And I love mistery magical title sequences from Tim Burton's gothic movies like "Edward Scissorhands", but this is not exactly openings, it's just opening titles. But you can count opening from "A Nightmare Before Christmas" - this animated feature captures me from it's first minutes.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Lets not forget the first time we saw a planes tail fin sliding through the clouds to John Williams tune "Jaws". :p

Indydan13

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
-Jay's Rap is hilarious

Dogma
-Catholicism Wow! with Buddy Christ.

Mallrats
-My cousin Walter once got a cat stuck up his a**

Indy500

Pale Horse said:
Lets not forget the first time we saw a planes tail fin sliding through the clouds to John Williams tune "Jaws". :p

Airplane! is a favorite. After many viewings I still can't speak Jive ....

Speaking of Jaws--- What did it for me was seeing the girl getting attacked! ( the opening scene ) I stayed out of the ocean for 12 years after seeing that scene ( and the head popping out of the boat hull) Scary movies never bothered me until I saw Jaws. I used to laugh at horror flicks, but after Jaws, something changed.

LaoChe

The first ten minutes of Alive stressed me out! It was pretty good.

I always liked the beginning to star trek IV - voyage home. The probe ship approaches earth and starts transmitting whale song.

The opening sequence to the movie 'fellowship of the ring' is pretty crazy.

Strider

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. This interesting Spanish comedy film I saw once about people going to the ocean from inland, I can't remember the name of the movie.
3. X2 (You gotta love that Nightcrawler)
4. Goldfinger ("Shocking... Simply Shocking")
5. Casablanka (The origion of that red line that travels the globe)
6. Fahrenhiet 9/11 (Fireworks, good narration)

I'm sure I could think of more, and will over time, but that's what I've got right now.

Strider

LaoChe said:
The first ten minutes of Alive stressed me out! It was pretty good.

I always liked the beginning to star trek IV - voyage home. The probe ship approaches earth and starts transmitting whale song.

The opening sequence to the movie 'fellowship of the ring' is pretty crazy.

Oh right, I forgot about the Fellowship prologe. Thats a cool one fer sure, bub. :)

Joe Brody

Sean Penn's The Indian Runner. The music, the opening monologue and photography . . . and the first two scenes.