What are your "Do's" and "Don't's" for Indy 5?

michael

Udvarnoky said:
Do:

-Design the story as Indy's last hurrah.

Definitely this.

They touched upon this just SLIGHTLY in the Crystal Skull novel (your favorite book I bet :p ...)

It was handled nicely in the novel (about as good as it could be). Glad they didn't make it feel like his last hurrah in the film.

DoomsdayFAN

Keep the CGI to an absolute minimum. Something TFA got right was trying to recapture the look of the SW OT. This new film needs to do the same here. KOTCS looked nothing like the Indy OT.

Make the action as over the top and epic as what we got in ToD. The action in KOTCS was so toned down that the whole film was a giant bore. (Though I think this was also a combo of the massive amounts of awful CGI)

Give us a score that's as epic and unique as the scores in the first three films. The score for KOTCS felt phoned in and didn't live up to the epicness of the other three scores at all. Not even close.

Give the film a more serious mood ala Raiders. What we got in KOTCS bordered on being a full blown farce. It was just way too goofy, and I'm not talking about the fun goof like in ToD. It was boring and painful to sit through.

Make the humor natural and appropriate for the scene and the movie. Don't overdo it and ham it up like KOTCS.

Just because Indy/Harrison is older doesn't mean Indy has to go on an "Old Man's" adventure. Keep things as breakneck and fast paced as ever. Regardless of age, Indy can still handle it. Judging by KOTCS you would have thought Indy was pushing 90.

Give us the most intense and intimidating villain to date in the franchise. Not that absolute farce of a villain we got in KOTCS.

Essentially, don't be anything like KOTCS, in any way. Be more like the OT, in every way.

(y) :gun: :whip:

Indy86

Just an idea.

Let's say the film takes place in 1972. Indy is on an adventure with a sidekick, let's say Short Round or a girl. During the adventure he tells him or her the story that he in fact has been on the same adventure 30 years earlier but never found the artefact he was looking for or that something happened because of the war. So there are flashbacks so we can have Nazis. And Indy is now retracing his steps in order to find it. Maybe too much a nod to the Cross of Coronado or the gold idol from Raiders in Infernal Machine?

Anyway, just make it like the original trilogy. Shoot on location, use real living creepy crawlies, gruesome deaths of the villains without CGI, more subtle humor and nothing childish as in KOTCS. Maybe like ToD, set the entire movie in other countries already. Even though we won't have instant replays of classic scenes like Indy teaching and someone entering the class room. It might be over the top but also a darker mood won't hurt.

And I agree, don't take Chris Pratt as Indy and keep Shia away. Further don't hurt the timeline.

Dr.Sartorius

DoomsdayFAN said:
Keep the CGI to an absolute minimum. Something TFA got right was trying to recapture the look of the SW OT. This new film needs to do the same here. KOTCS looked nothing like the Indy OT.

Make the action as over the top and epic as what we got in ToD. The action in KOTCS was so toned down that the whole film was a giant bore. (Though I think this was also a combo of the massive amounts of awful CGI)

Give us a score that's as epic and unique as the scores in the first three films. The score for KOTCS felt phoned in and didn't live up to the epicness of the other three scores at all. Not even close.

Give the film a more serious mood ala Raiders. What we got in KOTCS bordered on being a full blown farce. It was just way too goofy, and I'm not talking about the fun goof like in ToD. It was boring and painful to sit through.

Make the humor natural and appropriate for the scene and the movie. Don't overdo it and ham it up like KOTCS.

Just because Indy/Harrison is older doesn't mean Indy has to go on an "Old Man's" adventure. Keep things as breakneck and fast paced as ever. Regardless of age, Indy can still handle it. Judging by KOTCS you would have thought Indy was pushing 90.

Give us the most intense and intimidating villain to date in the franchise. Not that absolute farce of a villain we got in KOTCS.

Essentially, don't be anything like KOTCS, in any way. Be more like the OT, in every way.

(y) :gun: :whip:

TFA had a ton of CGI. And I thought the score was a lot less epic than KOTCS. I think TFA had maybe one or two memorable themes...KOTCS had at least 3 memorable themes IMO.

Olliana

I don't care if they use a lot of CG effects (and they will), as long as they look real and tangible. What I don't wanna see again is obvious CG creatures like the swinging monkeys and that squinting alien. Other than that, they can do whatever they want, but the action should feel dangerous and perilous, when the heroes get hurt, I wanna be able to root for them. Don't look for a joke in everyone and everything.

giphy.gif

DoomsdayFAN

Dr.Sartorius said:
TFA had a ton of CGI. And I thought the score was a lot less epic than KOTCS. I think TFA had maybe one or two memorable themes...KOTCS had at least 3 memorable themes IMO.

I just meant TFA captured to the look of the OT a lot better than the Prequels did. The prequels looked nothing like the OT.

For the record, I hated TFA.

Face_Melt

Do: Make a great Indiana Jones film with Harrison Ford in the lead role. Make it great and exciting.

Don't: Have Harrison in a minor or supporting role. Do not diminish his character.

To summarize, we want another amazing Harrison Ford Indiana Jones film.

Z dweller

DON'T: expect anything remotely on a par with the original trilogy - with old Indy it just isn't possible for me.

DO: go watch it anyway...

Kai Hagen

A lot of you made good points.

In addition,

-Do

make the villains more intimidating and formidable.

-Don't

ruin the intensity of an action scene (such as the monkeys part in KotCS).

Raiders90

I have an idea which could bring the series back to its roots:
The government, circa 1967, learns of a foreign power or private body, interested in getting an artifact to dominate the world. It's an artifact Indy went after years ago. Maybe it's been stolen from a museum or government archive. Or maybe Indy is the only one who came close to finding it.

The CIA/FBI visits Indy at home. Marion cameos, Mutt is said to be off at college or in the army.

The government guys lay out the danger. Indy resists at first, "I'm retired." They remind him of his patriotic duty. "To hell with that old song."
Marion, later, convinces him to go. One last ride. He calls up the government guys. "I'm in."

Cue a scene which pays homage to the early Bond films. Indy is offered an array of gadgets to bring with him. Doesn't need them. Basically, all he needs is his hat, whip and gun.

Government drops him off by plane to where he has to go. South East Asia.

The movie would at points incorporate flash backs to Indy's first attempt at getting the artifact as a way of introducing a new actor. Example Indy is stumped at some booby trap. He flashes back to the 1920s, at this same juncture. The flashback helps him figure out the solution in the present day.

In another touch to early Bond, the villain is an independent bad guy. An industrialist ala Goldfinger. At the briefing scene, a nod to KOTCS coul come in the form of the government saying "We don't know who he's with, but we knows it's not the Russians." Indy: "Thank God."

Just some ideas.

dakota

that could work, also with Mutt (as he would be 20+ by now) in the Army at the height of the Vietnam war there could be a side story running where Indy and Mutt meet up, help each other out, join forces etc etc

The only way I could see Mutt joining the Army is to be closer to his father who's leaving yet again. Otherwise, he seems too much of a rebel to want to fight in Vietnam. Sure, he's aged but not very reflective of youth during that time.

Raiders90

hismasterplan said:
The only way I could see Mutt joining the Army is to be closer to his father who's leaving yet again. Otherwise, he seems too much of a rebel to want to fight in Vietnam. Sure, he's aged but not very reflective of youth during that time.

There is The Draft.

Kai Hagen

hismasterplan said:
hismasterplan said:
I take him as a draft dodger ;)
And he moved to Canada or Mexico.