Raiders of the Lost Ark Atari 2600

hart lee

as the original indy game had only a small memory than the high powerded games of today,i was hoping someone out there may know some<all?>of the hidden eggs and mysteries the creator howard scott warshaw put in it.many thanks

hart lee

is there any old indy fans who played the raiders game on the early 80s atari .i know how to complete it.but does anyone know the full list of eastereggs,bugs,strange things in the game?thanx

I've never played the Atari 2600 but I found this...

Originally posted by the Video Game Cameos & References Database
Cross-Series: Walk off the Flying Saucer Mesa and drop the Chai. The Yar from Yar's Revenge will appear.

Programmers: Howard Scott Warshaw hid his initials in this game, too. I think you have to get the Yar to appear and then beat the game. (Credit: Kairobi King)

Indy Benson

I was really fond of that game in my younger days! The graphics were horrible, but what can you do? I knew about the Yar, but not the initials.

By the way, if anyone is interested, you can find tons of Atari 2600s on eBay nowadays.

spohlso

Also, if you don't want to fork over the cash for a 2600, you can also get an emulator. Here's a good source for a free one:

http://stella.sourceforge.net/

I recently played Raiders of the Lost Ark on it. Primative and pathetic by todays standards true, but pop in an old Flock of Seagulls cassette while you're playing it and you have a veritable time machine!

This game rocks! It's rather difficult at times, but it was loads of fun.... parachuting into the tree was very aggrivating if I remember correctly.... I've never beat the game though..only made it to the map room.

I wonder how the well of souls is in the game?

I will be interviewing Howard Scott Warshaw, the Programmer of Atari's Raiders Cart 12 hours from now and thought I would offer you guys a chance to submit questions...being the thoughtful group you are. He's colorful character who’s lunched with Spielberg and crew many times. So here's your chance, what can y'all come up with?

Thanks in advance...:hat:

DocWhiskey

Wow. Really cool opportunity, Rocket.

First of all, what does it mean to have worked on what was the 1st movie adapted video game? Was it more of a challenge to try to capture the film's scenes on such limited hardware?

Were you a fan of the film/character before you worked on it?

And....

That's all I got. Hope these help.

DocWhiskey said:
Wow. Really cool opportunity, Rocket.

First of all, what does it mean to have worked on what was the 1st movie adapted video game? Was it more of a challenge to try to capture the film's scenes on such limited hardware? Were you a fan of the film/character before you worked on it?And....That's all I got. Hope these help.

Funny, first time we spoke that's the first thing he mentioned , the first game adaption of a movie...thanks Doc.

Agent Z

DocWhiskey said:
First of all, what does it mean to have worked on what was the 1st movie adapted video game? Was it more of a challenge to try to capture the film's scenes on such limited hardware?

Good question, as the Raiders cart seemed to be the start of pushing the 2600's capabilities.

On that note, I wonder if he felt any pressure, self-imposed or otherwise, to maybe lessen the challenge level of the game (i.e. "dumb it down") during the development process..as it was known for being a higher challenge than the usual 2600 fare at the time.

If nothing else, tell him "Thanks!" for making a great game which left me with some fun memories of playing it! :hat:

We talked about how Atari was a real life "Animal House" in the 80's, The Worlds Most Expensive Turkey, Rags to Riches...we touch on the Sprinkler Lobotomy and some other fun stuff...he's quite a character.

Vance

I always wondered why they didn't use the 'board' controller on slot two for that game (like Star Raiders). Certainly would have made more sense.

Once Upon Atari Part I

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ylHHv4C1JnQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ylHHv4C1JnQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>