Oscars 2011

TheMutt92

W/ the Golden Globes over, nominations to be announced in the next week or so, and co-hosts James Franco and Anne Hathaway already set in place, its time to start predicting the this years Oscars.

Before the nominations are released, any theories on what ten films will make the Best Picture slots? My prediction:

The Social Network
The King's Speech
Black Swan
True Grit
The Fighter
Toy Story 3
Inception
127 Hours
The Town
The Kids Are Alright

mattzilla2010

I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly the list. If it was indeed out of those, I'd bet on The King's Speech for the win.

If Natalie Portman doesn't win Best Actress for Black Swan I'm gonna drive over to the Kodak Theatre and protest. Maybe climb up on stage and pull a Kanye West. :p

Goonie

mattzilla2010 said:
If Natalie Portman doesn't win Best Actress for Black Swan I'm gonna drive over to the Kodak Theatre and protest. Maybe climb up on stage and pull a Kanye West. :p

If Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld don't get nominated for True Grit, I'll probably do the same thing.

Pale Horse

Staff member
TheMutt92 said:
My prediction:

The Social Network
The King's Speech
Black Swan
True Grit
The Fighter
Toy Story 3
Inception
127 Hours
The Town
The Kids Are Alright

Given most of what I've read, that's a solid list. I've only seen 2 of those. Neither of the ones I saw should win best picture.

kongisking

Pale Horse said:
Given most of what I've read, that's a solid list. I've only seen 2 of those. Neither of the ones I saw should win best picture.

What, Toy Story and Inception?

Plus, I saw the Globes, and as always, I was happy for the winners and sad for the losers. Though Inception DESERVED Best Score.

michael

Does anyone think Toy Story 3 has a chance to win best picture?

I would like to think it has a great chance to.

I can't picture The Town winning it, although it was a fantastic heist film.

and after seeing The Fighter, I'm almost certain Christian Bale has either Best Supporting or Best Actor locked up (whichever they count his role in that movie) because technically he was sorta both. Regardless.

I can't wait to see 127 Hours, though.

Goonie

TheMutt92 said:
My prediction:

The Social Network
The King's Speech
Black Swan
True Grit
The Fighter
Toy Story 3
Inception
127 Hours
The Town
The Kids Are Alright

Too many dramatic movies. Why didn't Hot Tub Time Machine make the list?(y)

TheMutt92

Pale Horse said:

I've seen all but The King's Speech, Black Swan, The Fighter, and The Kids Are Alright. For me, True Grit was my favorite film of the year, but I know The Social Network (my second favorite) will most likely step in and win (unless The King's Speech pulls an upset).

Stoo

Guys...the 2010 film is titled, "The Kids Are All Right".

"The Kids Are Alright" was released in 1979!:whip:

this-guitar-has-seconds-to-live.gif

51Cfm-aJwgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

mattzilla2010

michael said:
Does anyone think Toy Story 3 has a chance to win best picture?

It was a great movie, but I just can't see it happening. After all, when was the last time a "family movie" won Best Picture? I can't recall anything in recent memory...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
mattzilla2010 said:
It was a great movie, but I just can't see it happening. After all, when was the last time a "family movie" won Best Picture? I can't recall anything in recent memory...

Well, True Grit could manage it too, and is sort of a family film.

But I'm still betting on The Social Network. I'd also be happy with a victory for Toy Story 3 or True Grit.

The Brits and Eisenberg will probably prove contenders for Best Actor, but if Jeff Bridges were to win, it would be one hell of a piece of trivia.

mattzilla2010

Pale Horse said:
Forrest Gump, if that's a 'family movie' or are you referring to a G film...?

I was thinking more along the lines of movies geared towards kids, so yeah, basically G-rated ones. It seems that the Academy would always favor something with more artistic or dramatic merit over a "simple kid's movie". They also have a thing against films adapted from comic books. (n)

Attila the Professor said:
I'm still betting on The Social Network. I'd also be happy with a victory for Toy Story 3 or True Grit.

The Brits and Eisenberg will probably prove contenders for Best Actor, but if Jeff Bridges were to win, it would be one hell of a piece of trivia.

If it isn't The King's Speech, The Social Network would be my next guess. I really enjoyed True Grit, but I can't see it getting Best Picture for some reason. I'm thinking Colin Firth for Best Actor.

TheMutt92

Roepers predictions...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9VDqMLv6Iys" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

YouNeverKnow

michael said:
Well the nominees are in.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/83/nominees.html

Best Picture

Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Having not seen The King's Speech, I think Toy Story 3 should win. I had the biggest emotional reaction to that than I did even for Black Swan, and that movie tore me apart at the end.