Oscars 2011

michael

I think it has a great chance to. It's a perfect movie. Regardless if it's animated or not. But hey, you never know right. ;)

Lance Quazar

Unfortunately, the Academy doesn't take animated films seriously, which is why they created the ghetto category of "Best Animated Feature" - knowing, deep down, that Pixar was putting just about everyone else to shame.

So while I'm delighted TS3 got the nod (and agree it deserves to win as much as any other contender), it's just not going to happen.

TheMutt92

The Oscars should add/change some categories around. Instead of Best Animated film, maybe it should be be Best Animation instead, or in addition to. If we can have adapted and original screenplay categories, shouldn't we also have adapted and original score? That way, scores such as those for True Grit and Black Swan can get the recognition their composers deserve. Also, its really irked me that in over 80 years, the Academy has never once acknowledged the work of stunt men.

kongisking

I know what movie I'm rooting for, as far as Best Picture, Score and Original Screenplay...here's a hint: BWONG-BWOOOONG!!!

And do I really have to say what actress I'm rooting for?

QBComics

Man, the Academy really screwed up in some places. I've seen 8/10 (soon to be 9) nominees for Best Picture, and I can't complain.

But Mark Ruffalo over Andrew Garfield in The Social Network!? Garfield's character was MUCH more complex than Ruffalo's!

Hailee Steinfeld should've been nominated for Best Actress, but whatever. I guess she's too 'young' to have deserved it. >_>

The lack of Tron in Visual Effects had my jaw to the floor. Speechless. I figured Daft Punk would've been snubbed, but I was hoping for a miracle.

Final quibble, and the most obvious ones: Inception's Directing and Editing snubs. I wholeheartedly wanted it to win for the latter! Nolan did a hell of a better job than David O Russell for the Fighter.

Other than that, I'm glad Toy Story got some love, and I hope Social Network takes home the big prize. Good luck to all the nominees.

TheMutt92

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DE0asLABRIo" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

michael

Finally got to see 127 Hours over the weekend, what a remarkable man/story that is. Seriously people need to go see this. I really want to pick up the book.

I can't see it winning best picture, but to keep the audience captivated while filming in the same spot for 95% of the movie is really an amazing feat. But it helps when you have such a great actor, and I really think James Franco will win best actor for this performance.

It just got released everywhere (well around here it finally came out) and there was only 6 people in the theater. (n)

TheMutt92

My predictions (followed by possible upset). This is my first year seeing all 10 Best Picture nominees (I came close last year w/ 7/10), haven't seen all or any of the shorts or documentaries, so its educated guesses based on what I've heard:

Picture: The King's Speech/The Social Network

Director: David Fincher/Tom Hooper

Actor: Colin Firth/James Franco

Actress: Natalie Portman/Annette Bening

Supporting Actor: Christian Bale/Geoffrey Rush

Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo/Hailee Steinfeld

Original Screenplay: The King's Speech/Inception

Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network/True Grit

Animated Feature: Toy Story 3/How to Train Your Dragon

Foreign Film: Incendies/Dogtooth

Docu. Feature: Inside Job/Exit Through the Gift Shop

Docu. Short: Poster Girl/Killing in the Name

Live Action Short: Confession/Crush

Animated Short: Day and Night/The Gruffalo

Score: The Social Network/Inception

Song: "We Belong Together"/"If I Rise"

Sound Editing: Inception/True Grit

Sound Mixing: Inception/True Grit

Art Direction: Alice in Wonderland/The King's Speech

Cinematography: True Grit/The Social Network

Makeup: The Wolfman/Barney's Version

Costume: The King's Speech/Alice in Wonderland

Editing: The Social Network/The King's Speech

Visual Effects: Inception/Alice in Wonderlnad

kongisking

I'm frustrated, to say the least.

Inception didn't get Best Score.

Tangled didn't get Best Song.

What's-her-face didn't get Best Supporting Actress...:p

Pale Horse

Staff member
kongisking said:
What's-her-face didn't get Best Supporting Actress...:p

Indeed. Such talent for a 14 year old...

Hailee-Steinfeld-TrueGrit.jpg

kongisking

Joe Brody said:
at least the right song won

and what was up with Alice winning in the art/costume categories?

Whatever it's other faults, Alice had truly spectacular production values, so I'd say it deserved it.