General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

Udvarnoky said:
That strikes me as sort of a disease of affluence. We don't exactly have an embarrassment of posters these days.

But of the ones we do, there are a few embarrassing ones.

It is pathetic though, that you can't type the name of every Bond movie here.

Octo*****.

What's wrong with a bit of *****? We called the cat *****. It was easier than calling out "Pennsylvania" every time he went off chasing tail.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

Something that should probably color the discussion about the culpability of the screenwriter (who should in general be given the benefit of the doubt, due to the realities of how movies are made and the bizarre nature of WGA crediting) is that when you're on in Indiana Jones film, you're very much a goon for hire.

In Crystal Skull's case, we have the benefit of possessing the screenplay, or one of the last shooting drafts, but we must assume that David Koepp, just as the writers before him, was given an outline by the Beards to attempt to cohere a script around. I'm critical of Koepp because I'm critical of his work in general, but it's not like any screenwriter had cart blanche on this project. The script is the result of his efforts under what you might call extreme supervison.

Lucas and Spielberg had specific set pieces and story beats in mind for this film, as they always do. The 1950s setting complete with the Red Scare element, the flesh-eating ants, a wedding, a river chase, and an escape from a nuclear test site were all concepts associated with a fourth Indy project from the early nineties. The crystal skulls and a lost city in Peru were almost certainly non-negotiable elements from Lucas from the turn of the century onward. We know that Spielberg insisted that the return of Marion would be a concept from Darabont's draft that remain in all subsequent incarnations (regardless of the changing story) so there's another thing the writer was saddled with. I'm guessing Indy's son became mandatory after a certain point, too. Was a Ben Gunn character part of the demands eventually? Etc. Etc.

The quality of an Indy script is always going to come down to one or more writers' ability to take all those ideas mandated by George and Steven, plus the ideas they themselves are permitted to bring to the table, and lasso it all into something compelling. Of the exhibits we have, I think Darabont was unquestionably the most successful at pulling off this stunt - like, it's not even close. However, who knows what the outline looked like by Koepp's involvement? Who knows what characters he had to include? Who knows what story decisions were the result of Lucas or Spielberg winning some argument against the other rather than being what was best for the overall movie?

Hypothetical. If George Lucas says Indiana Jones 5 is about the Bermuda Triangle, and Spielberg meanwhile has a set piece in mind involving a pirate ship, and also has this idea that there be this archeologist character in there somewhere that reminds him of a character from some movie he saw as a kid, then the screenwriter's job will be to write the best possible version of that movie, all the while taking notes from the Beards that might, just for added fun, conflict with each other.

Henry Jones VII

An honest question fellow Raiders:

do you think a new indy movie set in the 21st century could work, or the lack of the period setting would take away the charm of the adventure?

cheers ;)

Montana Smith

Henry Jones VII said:
An honest question fellow Raiders:

do you think a new indy movie set in the 21st century could work, or the lack of the period setting would take away the charm of the adventure?

cheers ;)

With a 100+ year-old Indiana Jones? :D

If you meant a Bond-style reboot then I think it would be pointless even using the Indiana Jones name. It could be any character born in the latter half of the twentieth century, such as Jack Hunter.

It would also have no basis in the very thing that prompted creation of the character himself.

Udvarnoky

Yeah I think being a period piece is something you pretty much can't divorce from the character. He is not timeless like Bond. You can transpose him to the 50s-60s to accommodate his age, and adjust the pulp influences accordingly, but after that the world becomes a place where lost cities in exotic lands aren't really conceivable and a guy with a fedora and his revolver basically can't exist. To make him work, you'd have to change him to a point where he wouldn't really be Indiana Jones anymore.

Last edited:

Henry Jones VII

Well yeah I think you're both right about it. I don't mind the period setting of course, but my reason to ask the question was thinking that perhaps Disney is not that much interested in making a period-setting action adventure movie.

thanks for the replies. :hat:

Udvarnoky

I think a smart thing to do in Indiana Jones 5 would be to keep him away from the States (a la Temple of Doom), which obviates the need to depict the guy in 1960s America, which I'm not sure I'd like to see. Have him already somewhere fantastic and isolated and immune to marching technology: the Himalayas, European castles, Greek ruins. Deal with the issue by avoiding it altogether. Frankly, it make sense for someone like Indy to spend his retirement years in places where modernization is a slower threat.

Maybe it makes him a bad father/husband, but hey, Indy already told Marion he knew it was wasn't gonna work. Archeology is what he does, and there's precious little of it to be done as Associate Dean. Mutt and Marion are just fine back home while Indy gets caught up in one last accidental adventure.

Last edited:

Toht's Arm

Udvarnoky said:
I think a smart thing to do in Indiana Jones 5 would be to keep him away from the States (a la Temple of Doom), which obviates the need to depict the guy in 1960s America, which I'm not sure I'd like to see. Have him already somewhere fantastic and isolated and immune to marching technology: the Himalayas, European castles, Greek ruins. Deal with the issue by avoiding it altogether. Frankly, it make sense for someone like Indy to spend his retirement years in places where modernization is a slower threat.

Maybe it makes him a bad father/husband, but hey, Indy already told Marion he knew it was wasn't gonna work. Archeology is what he does, and there's precious little of it to be done as Associate Dean. Mutt and Marion are just fine back home while Indy gets caught up in one last accidental adventure.

If the (very vague and insubstantial) rumours about a further two films are true, I think our chances of this increase somewhat. If they knew they were making two films, they could do one with Indy away from the family, leaving the other film to be the kind of family affair that, let's face it, is more likely anyway.

Keeping in mind that Disney would want characters of different ages, Indy taking students on an overseas field trip might be the best way to do that. Then they could have all the cross-generational conflict that we know Spielberg likes, but perhaps without the family angle that some (many?) of us are getting tired of after LC and KoTCS.

Stoo

Udvarnoky said:
I'd also like it if he was kept out of the States in Indy 5 but this might be a bit of a challenge, were Spielberg to be on board as director. Does he still have it in him to go globe-trotting to different countries for one film? Considering that "Skull" was filmed entirely on U.S. soil (apart from 2nd unit shots of the waterfalls & footage grabbed from documentaries), would Steven be willing to do it differently this time around?

It's quite possible that a new story would be constructed with this in mind, confined to U.S. geography as stand-ins for foreign envrionments. The Alaskan mountain range could certainly be used as the Himalayas but I can't think of much else besides the desert regions that would be suitable enough to portray another country. (Hawaii had been used twice already as S.America so they shouldn't do a jungle adventure again.)

Of course, they could always use the old-fashioned trick of filming doubles of the actors abroad in exotic locales, while the principal stars are shuffled from set to set within the comfort of home territory.
Toht's Arm said:
Keeping in mind that Disney would want characters of different ages, Indy taking students on an overseas field trip might be the best way to do that. Then they could have all the cross-generational conflict that we know Spielberg likes, but perhaps without the family angle that some (many?) of us are getting tired of after LC and KoTCS.
Now that Indy is Associate Dean, I can't imagine him taking students on an overseas field trip so, if they were to make 2 more, they could make a pre-1957 prequel and a post-1957 sequel. :)

Udvarnoky

Stoo said:
I'd also like it if he was kept out of the States in Indy 5 but this might be a bit of a challenge, were Spielberg to be on board as director. Does he still have it in him to go globe-trotting to different countries for one film? Considering that "Skull" was filmed entirely on U.S. soil (apart from 2nd unit shots of the waterfalls & footage grabbed from documentaries), would Steven be willing to do it differently this time around?

He had no problem going global for his subsequent production, War Horse.

Stoo

Udvarnoky said:
He had no problem going global for his subsequent production, War Horse.
Global?:confused: "War Horse" was shot in 1 country: England, within an area smaller than the state of California.:rolleyes: England played England and substituted for France. Not much moving about was required, I'm afraid to say.:p

All Steven has to do is plant his heinie in one foreign country and we would have our "Temple of Doom 2"...but a true, globe-trotting, Indiana Jones production for #5 is hard to foresee.

Udvarnoky

Stoo said:
Global?:confused: "War Horse" was shot in 1 country: England, within an area smaller than the state of California.:rolleyes: England played England and substituted for France. Not much moving about was required, I'm afraid to say.:p

Dude, I was rooting for you to pull off four smileys in one paragraph, but instead of swinging for the fences you got timid and settled for three.

Stoo

Udvarnoky said:
Dude, I was rooting for you to pull off four smileys in one paragraph, but instead of swinging for the fences you got timid and settled for three.
Uuuh..That is your reply? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: (1,2,3,4) I thought that you were some kind of master debater.:rolleyes: (5) Apologies if the stuff that I write actually makes sense, unlike your old sparring partner, Darth Vile.:p (6)

Like you, I'd like to see "European castles" and "Greek ruins" in Indy 5 but can't see them being filmed on their actual locations (unless it's done by a 2nd unit). This is not an absurd concept.

Toht's Arm

Stoo said:

It's quite possible that a new story would be constructed with this in mind, confined to U.S. geography as stand-ins for foreign envrionments. The Alaskan mountain range could certainly be used as the Himalayas but I can't think of much else besides the desert regions that would be suitable enough to portray another country. (Hawaii had been used twice already as S.America so they shouldn't do a jungle adventure again.)

Of course, they could always use the old-fashioned trick of filming doubles of the actors abroad in exotic locales, while the principal stars are shuffled from set to set within the comfort of home territory.

I don't have any problems whatsoever with that trick. In my mind (if not in actuality) I always associated the Indiana Jones films with a long shot of an actual location, followed by a close-up usually shot in a studio. This doesn't bother me at all.

That being said, I just read The Unicorn's Legacy for the first time and a big chunk of that is set on US soil. I really enjoyed that book, so Indy doesn't have to go nuts globetrotting.

Stoo said:
Now that Indy is Associate Dean, I can't imagine him taking students on an overseas field trip so, if they were to make 2 more, they could make a pre-1957 prequel and a post-1957 sequel. :)

Good point! I had forgotten this fact. Either they do a prequel or they rely on the 'innocent man wrongly accused' plot many of us here have been hoping for, which would get him away from his new position...

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Uuuh..That is your reply? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: (1,2,3,4) I thought that you were some kind of master debater.:rolleyes:

They've tried that same tack in the Paramount v. Disney thread, but seem to forget that outside of the thin veneer of language Western Europe is very much like the United States in terms of culture and costs.

Tea at eleven? Serving yourself at breakfast on Sunday? Oh what fresh hell that War Horse shoot must have been. Deciphering all of those English language texts must have been incredibly difficult too.

Stoo said:
Like you, I'd like to see "European castles" and "Greek ruins" in Indy 5 but can't see them being filmed on their actual locations (unless it's done by a 2nd unit). This is not an absurd concept.

Absolutely not. No Europe. No Hellenistic cultures. No Judeo-Christian artifacts. No United States, in fact.

Though, Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life did feature a rather nice underwater Greek temple until it collapsed.

Toht's Arm said:
...and a big chunk of that is set on US soil. I really enjoyed that book, so Indy doesn't have to go nuts globetrotting.

Here that sound? That's the sound of me slamming my wallet shut, putting it into a weighted bag, and hurling it into the Pacific to rest somewhere near my camera.

Isn't it about time this thread get renamed to something like "Random Thoughts About Anything Related to Indiana Jones?"

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
Tea at eleven? Serving yourself at breakfast on Sunday? Oh what fresh hell that War Horse shoot must have been. Deciphering all of those English language texts must have been incredibly difficult too.

:D

"One must suffer for one's art, darling. It rained awfully hard one day. Care for another scone?"

Le Saboteur said:
Isn't it about time this thread get renamed to something like "Random Thoughts About Anything Related to Indiana Jones?"

The "possibilities" part of the title leaves a barn door wide open. The only problem is that Indy walked through it in 2008 and he kept on walking. There was a time when you just just about see him with a powerful telescope.

Udvarnoky

Stoo said:
Uuuh..That is your reply? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: (1,2,3,4) I thought that you were some kind of master debater.:rolleyes: (5).

I dunno who you've been talking with, but don't believe that's the first time you've been lied to.

Montana Smith

Túrin Turambar said:
I know Harry is doing the wars now, but Disney need to start this now he is 72 this year...what they going to do wait till he is 80 with his patch?

Old Indiana Jones and the Time Machine

Having missed getting his leg over first time round, Indy asked Colonel Spalko for a quick poke. It wasn't quite what he had in mind.

indianajonespic7.jpg

Indiana_Jones_and_the_Kingdom_of_the_Crystal_Skull_720p_www_yify_torrents_com_3_large_zpsc5aca60d.png