Battle of the Critics: Red Letter Media vs Nostalgia Critic

Which is the better "critic"?

• Total voters
Plinkett and Crew have just been labeled "The Worst Kind of Critic" in favor of the Nostalgia Critic.

Both are guilty of some sad, (gross) and self indulgent displays which in at least one case are part and parcel of the criticism.

The question is: who is the better critic?

Reasons will vary, but do I have to be involved with a pop culture monster to be a reputable critic?

Anyway, which critic is more to your tastes?

Mickiana

They both make valid points, but I much prefer RLM's presentation. Interestingly though, RLM is kinder to ToD than is Nostalgic Critic and I tend to agree with NC on that one.

The humour each employs to create a style of presentation is helpful but if overdone becomes tedious. For me this is more the case for NC. I personally like the irreverent, seedy, sick humour of RLM. It is very non-PC, while the deliberate hysteria of NC grates on me a little too much. Perhaps it just reflects my own predilection to hysteria and I don't like looking in the mirror?

IndyBuff

Both are entertaining but RLM is truly diverse, not to mention their production values are excellent. They have a way of being funny and informative that really clicks with me, maybe due to the fact that I have that kind of sarcastic personality myself.;)

NC is funny too, yet I find him kind of annoying in large doses. I'm actually glad he chose to end the show and move on to something else. That says a lot about him and his commitment to not let the show grow stale. I have to give him some props for that. I enjoy going back and watching some of the old episodes from time to time. He had some great episodes back in the day.

Also, I'll just state that the Angry Video Game Nerd wins for me. Maybe it's because I grew up playing a lot of those games, but I find him hilarious. James also does a ton of other segments and interesting videos, most of which are just as enjoyable and informative. I'm not a comic book fan but I find Linkara to be quite fun to watch as well.

Gear

Neither. I don't need or care to read the opinions of a critic to know what I like and dislike.

Mickiana

Gear said:
Neither. I don't need or care to read the opinions of a critic to know what I like and dislike.

A good critic rewrites the material in a better way, that is, they offer an analogy that is an improvement upon the source material. That is their purpose and it is an essential one.